NYC Council Bans Smoking In Parks, Beaches

trainspot12

I agree...I do wish NYC will ban people for smoking while they walking on the sidewalk,because I hate being behind someone who's smoking then all the toxic stuff go went into your face....there are times where I'll be waiting for the bus and people decide to stay right next to you and smoke a cigarette,that crap piss me off.

Whenever someone comes near me or starts smoking while we're on the express bus line I will give them the look and they usually step off to the side and smoke. It is so inconsiderate and selfish to subject everyone else to your smoke because you smoke while everyone else doesn't. Sometimes if I'm sitting somewhere and someone comes over and pulls out a cigarette, I will ask them if they can smoke elsewhere. I mean why should I have to move and be uncomfortable? :mad:

I agree...I do wish NYC will ban people for smoking while they walking on the sidewalk,because I hate being behind someone who's smoking then all the toxic stuff go went into your face....there are times where I'll be waiting for the bus and people decide to stay right next to you and smoke a cigarette,that crap piss me off.
Whenever someone comes near me or starts smoking while we're on the express bus line I will give them the look and they usually step off to the side and smoke. It is so inconsiderate and selfish to subject everyone else to your smoke because you smoke while everyone else doesn't. Sometimes if I'm sitting somewhere and someone comes over and pulls out a cigarette, I will ask them if they can smoke elsewhere. I mean why should I have to move and be uncomfortable? :mad:

The sidewalk is public property. If you even attempt to try to ban it on sidewalks, you'll never hear the end of it from people. IMO, the ban in parks is a little overkill. Its not like the park is tiny enough to fit 4 people or something. I'm pretty sure stepping where people (mainly children) aren't at will suffice enough, the average park is big enough to accomidate everyone.

As for smoking at bus stops, I'm not gonna lie, I'm guilty of that sometimes but usually I do it when there's no one at the stop but me. If there's people that come to the bus stop, I simply just step away from the bus stop and stand against a building in front of the stop. Its not that hard to just step away from the bus stop.

The sidewalk is public property. If you even attempt to try to ban it on sidewalks, you'll never hear the end of it from people. IMO, the ban in parks is a little overkill. Its not like the park is tiny enough to fit 4 people or something. I'm pretty sure stepping where people (mainly children) aren't at will suffice enough, the average park is big enough to accomidate everyone.

As for smoking at bus stops, I'm not gonna lie, I'm guilty of that sometimes but usually I do it when there's no one at the stop but me. If there's people that come to the bus stop, I simply just step away from the bus stop and stand against a building in front of the stop. Its not that hard to just step away from the bus stop.

My office building requires that smokers are 15 feet away from the building if they want to smoke, so you'll see several smokers in a part of the sidewalk puffing abot. I'm glad they did that too because it was annoying to have to walk through a heap of cigarette smoke just to get into the office and then have my clothes smelling like an ashtray for the next 20 minutes or so. :mad:

As far as the parks go, it's not overkill at all. Smokers don't realize that even when they've left the spot that they were smoking in, that cigarette smoke doesn't disappear with them. It permeates in that same spot for quite some time. That's why you can smell cigarette smoke from someone who was smoking moments after the person is completely out of sight. It's been shown in studies that the remanants left behind from cigarette smoke stay in the air for quite some time, so that was a good move as well by the city. :cool:

Our air is polluted enough with car exhaust and the like. We should do everything possible to get rid of avoidable pollutants in the air.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

My office building requires that smokers are 15 feet away from the building if they want to smoke, so you'll see several smokers in a part of the sidewalk puffing abot. I'm glad they did that too because it was annoying to have to walk through a heap of cigarette smoke just to get into the office and then have my clothes smelling like an ashtray for the next 20 minutes or so. :mad:

As far as the parks go, it's not overkill at all. Smokers don't realize that even when they've left the spot that they were smoking in, that cigarette smoke doesn't disappear with them. It permeates in that same spot for quite some time. That's why you can smell cigarette smoke from someone who was smoking moments after the person is completely out of sight. It's been shown in studies that the remanants left behind from cigarette smoke stay in the air for quite some time, so that was a good move as well by the city. :cool:

Our air is polluted enough with car exhaust and the like. We should do everything possible to get rid of avoidable pollutants in the air.

Even so, people will just move over to the next building. The sidewalk is still public property either way it goes.

As for the parks, I seriously doubt people will adhere to it cuz its a PUBLIC area. Playgrounds I can understand since you're more likely to find children there but for something like Madison Sq park I doubt that

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Even so, people will just move over to the next building. The sidewalk is still public property either way it goes.

As for the parks, I seriously doubt people will adhere to it cuz its a PUBLIC area. Playgrounds I can understand since you're more likely to find children there but for something like Madison Sq park I doubt that

I'm sure the security in Bryant Park will be around patroling. Yes, it's a public area, but what it comes down to is what is best for the majority of the public and in this case smoking done by a few is harmful to the overall public that doesn't smoke.

I have had enough of reading this nanny state bullsh*t. How about we start banning other vices and hobbies for the benefit of the public. I know let's go after photography in the subway system, I bet terrorists own cameras and know how to point and shoot. How about everyone mind their own f*cking business.

I have had enough of reading this nanny state bullsh*t. How about we start banning other vices and hobbies for the benefit of the public. I know let's go after photography in the subway system, I bet terrorists own cameras and know how to point and shoot. How about everyone mind their own f*cking business.

Non-smokers don't have much of an option to mind their business when it comes to smoking. If they're not interested, they have to sit there and inhale and breathe it in whether they want to or not.

Non-smokers don't have much of an option to mind their business when it comes to smoking. If they're not interested, they have to sit there and inhale and breathe it in whether they want to or not.

So, are you going to go around writing up summonses?

http://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2011/02/bloomberg-forgets-he-pushed-for-smoking.html

So, are you going to go around writing up summonses?

http://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2011/02/bloomberg-forgets-he-pushed-for-smoking.html

If you've got such issues with the nanny state as you call it, you should be blasting the city council and the mayor, but I agree with the new policy completely and support it 100%, as do the majority of New Yorkers per the link you posted, hence why the bill was introduced and passed.

To answer your question, no, I wouldn't be that ridiculous, nor would I waste my time getting into it with smokers, so long as they show some sort of respect and aren't trying to blow that crap in my face deliberately. I usually just move when I see smokers walking near me anyway so as to avoid any confrontation, as well as to avoid inhaling that crap. If I'm in the park, I'll just give them a look of disgust and then get up and move elsewhere, especially since it's usually during the time that I'm trying to eat my lunch. Actually people usually don't say anything, but they'll just look at them like they're a disease or something and make them feel like sh*t for blowing their crap everywhere. The humiliation factor has a bigger effect on folks than saying anything because the more they're inconvenienced, the more they'll consider what a dumb habit it is. I mean I actually chuckle at smokers sitting outside in like 20 degree weather shaking trying to get their nicotine fix. If that isn't sad and the perfect example of an addiction I don't know what is.

Maybe the cops won't enforce it since they need to tackle the rising crime and murder rates of late, but I'm sure it will be enforced in areas where there is security like Bryant Park. They are sticklers about the rules.

Imagine that. The sidewalk as public property.

So I can, in the comfort of my home, scrape lead paint (no one knows!) and expose those who live with me to toxic chemicals.

Now imagine if I did that in Grand Central.

Wouldn't fly so much, huh?

But yet it's OK to smoke and expose hundreds and even thousands of people to medically proven to be hazardous cigarette smoke just because it's a public place?

The fact it's a public place is part of the reason WHY it needs to be banned. People are being harmed without their consent. Cigarette smoke takes years off people's lives. Yet the reaction to this is so much different than if someone were to release hazardous chemicals or poision (which is exactly what cigarette smoke is). That's a ridiculous double standard.

Imagine that. The sidewalk as public property.

So I can, in the comfort of my home, scrape lead paint (no one knows!) and expose those who live with me to toxic chemicals.

Now imagine if I did that in Grand Central.

Wouldn't fly so much, huh?

But yet it's OK to smoke and expose hundreds and even thousands of people to medically proven to be hazardous cigarette smoke just because it's a public place?

The fact it's a public place is part of the reason WHY it needs to be banned. People are being harmed without their consent. Cigarette smoke takes years off people's lives. Yet the reaction to this is so much different than if someone were to release hazardous chemicals or poision (which is exactly what cigarette smoke is). That's a ridiculous double standard.

So just ban cigarettes altogether

I love standing at bus stops and watching as someone casually lights a cancer stick right in front of me. People will normally stand behind it or go elsewhere, like an alley, but Tuesday this pair of very thoughtful women just went and lit one up each and smoked by me and a crowd of about 14 students. I was about to take a cigarette and burn one of their faces with it. So goddamned inconsiderate. I don't mind if you're doing it before I get there, but you'd better hope there's a higher power in existence that can save your ass if you light one up by me and don't even say anything.

Sorry, ENY, venting a bit... done now.

That's exactly what they should do!

Perhaps they should....but.....look at all that tax money they would lose. BTW there once was a ban on another taxable item and look how that turned out. Made Al Capone and a certain President's father very wealthy or so I heard. The governments would probably save big on health care but I think their eyes light up and their minds shut down when they see those dollar signs from cigarette, alcohol, and gasoline taxes.

No, in America people are free to harm themselves if they choose.

They are just not free to harm others.

Make it illegal to expose other people to cigarettes without their consent (and allow for the assumption of consent if someone enters an indoor place where smoking is allowed, like a "smoking section" of a bar or club which is environmentally isolated from outside of it. There's money that can be made off proper regulation of tobacco smoke.

When I do see people about to light it up next to me,I move away,because I don't want any trouble.When I do that,the smoker give me a dirty look anyway WTF?you rather me tell you to move somewhere else and smoke your important cigarette for the day?

I know this law is harsh,but I dont want lung cancer or some other kind of cancer you could get from 2nd hand smoke!people who aren't smokers or have heath issues don't have to be expose to it while they're outside.IMO

When I do see people about to light it up next to me,I move away,because I don't want any trouble.When I do that,the smoker give me a dirty look anyway WTF?you rather me tell you to move somewhere else and smoke your important cigarette for the day?

I know this law is harsh,but I dont want lung cancer or some other kind of cancer you could get from 2nd hand smoke!people who aren't smokers or have heath issues don't have to be expose to it while they're outside.IMO

Not just that. It's also a stinking habit. I mean in my office building on my floor we all work for European companies, so most of the folks are either British for the British Tourist Agency, or next door at Eurostar, they may be Northern European (i.e. Dutch or Belgian) and a few of them just love to smoke. There is a British guy on my floor that I chat with in the elevator and as nice as he is, he really does stink from cigarette smoke and it's all I can tolerate to be in that little elevator with him. :eek:

I have been in Columbus Circle by the Trump building relaxing with my lunch and I try to sit in an area away from anyone and soon as I pull out my lunch and get comfortable, some smoker will come nearby and want to light up. Sometimes I just ask them if they can sit elsewhere because the wind will blow all of the smoke in my face and they are usually okay with it, but the big shots at Bryant Park... Forget it. You'll have some fat slob from one the office buildings nearby pull out a big cigar and start blowing away and his smoke can be seen going across the park. :mad: Just ridiculous.

The other day I had to chuckle because it was so cold outside and I saw all of these smokers outside of the office building shaking trying to get their nicotine fix. lol

• 3 months later...

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_about/smoke_free_parks_and_beaches.html

Smoke-Free Parks and Beaches

Mayor Bloomberg signed a bill that prohibits smoking within New York City's parks, beaches and pedestrian plazas.

By supporting this legislation, we welcome the chance to improve the beauty of the city's public outdoor spaces, and ensure an even healthier and cleaner experience for New Yorkers.

Public Spaces Covered by the Smoking Ban

As of May 23, 2011, smoking is prohibited in the following areas:

* All New York City parks except median strips

* Beaches and boardwalks

* Public golf courses

* Sports stadia grounds

* Pedestrian plazas such as those at Times Square and Herald Square.

* Smoking continues to be prohibited in playgrounds, pools and inside stadia

Permitted Areas

Smoking is allowed on sidewalks outside parks, including sidewalks that form the perimeter of parks. For example, smoking will be allowed on the sidewalk on 5th Avenue outside Central Park. Smoking is permitted in the parking lots of all Parks properties.

Even though medians in the middle of large streets such as Broadway are under the jurisdiction of Parks, they are mainly used to cross the street so smoking by pedestrians would be permitted to continue in these areas.

Enforcement

The new law will be enforced mostly by New Yorkers themselves. We expect that New Yorkers will ask people to follow the law and stop smoking. This is how similar laws have worked in other places, including Chicago and Los Angeles. However, people who violate the new law could receive a $50 ticket.

If someone refuses to stop smoking in a park, beach or other area where smoking is prohibited, New Yorkers are encouraged to inform a Parks Department employee or a Park Enforcement Officer if one is available. Otherwise, complaints can be made by calling 311.

Anyone who receives a ticket for violating park rules is entitled to challenge the ticket in court.

Health Impact

Studies suggest that sitting 3 feet away from a smoker outdoors can expose you to the same level of secondhand smoke as if you were sitting indoors with a smoker. Secondhand smoke can trigger asthma attacks, increase the risk of blood clots and hurt blood vessels. The new law will reduce people's exposure to secondhand smoke outdoors.

New Yorkers are exposed to secondhand smoke at higher rates than the national average In fact, 57% of New Yorkers who do not smoke have elevated levels of cotinine in their blood compared to 45% of non-smokers nationally. Cotinine is residue left by exposure to secondhand smoke. Non-smokers in New York City have more cotinine in their bodies even though we have strong indoor smoking laws. There is no known safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke, and smoke-free parks and beaches will help to eliminate a source of secondhand smoke.

If You Smoke, We Can Help You Quit Today!

For help quitting smoking, call 311 or 866-NYQUITS. You can also visit nysmokefree.com.

Enforcement

The new law will be enforced mostly by New Yorkers themselves. We expect that New Yorkers will ask people to follow the law and stop smoking. This is how similar laws have worked in other places, including Chicago and Los Angeles. However, people who violate the new law could receive a $50 ticket.

If someone refuses to stop smoking in a park, beach or other area where smoking is prohibited, New Yorkers are encouraged to inform a Parks Department employee or a Park Enforcement Officer if one is available. Otherwise, complaints can be made by calling 311.

Anyone who receives a ticket for violating park rules is entitled to challenge the ticket in court.

Problems with that section underlined.

Why, look at all the tax money those addicts pay to the state and it is a form of population control.

Archived