Problems with the B1 at Manhattan Beach.

ItaketheB1

At the very last stop on the B1 at Manhattan Beach, there are literally hundreds of college students waiting for the bus to come, and it does! The problem is, every single bus goes out of service after dropping off passengers. I would understand if its 1 or 2 but sometimes it can reach up to 7 out of service B1s.

I think its kind of stupid that they do this, because they really do send enough buses but they ALL just go out of service! Before they would at least terminate at Ocean Parkway or 25 AVE, but now its just nothing.

Why did they start doing this?

At the very last stop on the B1 at Manhattan Beach, there are literally hundreds of college students waiting for the bus to come, and it does! The problem is, every single bus goes out of service after dropping off passengers. I would understand if its 1 or 2 but sometimes it can reach up to 7 out of service B1s.

I think its kind of stupid that they do this, because they really do send enough buses but they ALL just go out of service! Before they would at least terminate at Ocean Parkway or 25 AVE, but now its just nothing.

They are either going on break, or deadheading. This is common.

I know a lot about the B1. Please provide additional details. During what time of the day are you talking about?

IDK about this particular situation, but I heard somewhere that the MTA does not have to pay deadheading drivers.:confused:

*notes the confused smilie*

I'm even more confused at the way you thought that was even plausible....

I mean, the way you posed this to us & all.....

I know a lot about the B1. Please provide additional details. During what time of the day are you talking about?

It happens around 1:00. I know going on break or deadheading or whatever is common. But when a crowd spanning the entire street builds up, it would be nice if they could take us to at least 25 Avenue or Ocean Parkway, and then head to wherever they need to go.

The B49 is there too, it doesn't go Out of Service as often.

It happens around 1:00. I know going on break or deadheading or whatever is common. But when a crowd spanning the entire street builds up, it would be nice if they could take us to at least 25 Avenue or Ocean Parkway, and then head to wherever they need to go.

I was actually there at 1PM about six months ago watching the buses along with a half dozen MTA supervisors and dispatchers, because of complaints I was making how it is virtually impossible to get on a B1 after Mackenzie Street because the buses do not stop for the few people waiting along Oriental Blvd. You can easily wait 45 minutes to one hour for a bus although one comes every five minutes.

We were all surprised at the extremely heavy number of users at that time. However in the half an hour I was there watching the buses, I did not see one bus go out of service. The MTA saw that there is a problem there so they are aware of the situation and they promised me they would request more B1 service at that time. My guess is that this request was not approved by upper management.

I was actually there at 1PM about six months ago watching the buses along with a half dozen MTA supervisors and dispatchers, because of complaints I was making how it is virtually impossible to get on a B1 after Mackenzie Street because the buses do not stop for the few people waiting along Oriental Blvd. You can easily wait 45 minutes to one hour for a bus although one comes every five minutes.

We were all surprised at the extremely heavy number of users at that time. However in the half an hour I was there watching the buses, I did not see one bus go out of service. The MTA saw that there is a problem there so they are aware of the situation and they promised me they would request more B1 service at that time. My guess is that this request was not approved by upper management.

They did not go constantly out of service 6 months ago, this started in the beginning of the year. Though it would make sense if they go out of service to start somewhere else along the street so people could get on without having to board an overcrowded bus, but I don't think this is what they do.

They did not go constantly out of service 6 months ago, this started in the beginning of the year. Though it would make sense if they go out of service to start somewhere else along the street so people could get on without having to board an overcrowded bus, but I don't think this is what they do.

I have a feeling maybe they do do that but I don't think that is the way to handle that problem because there are anymore than 20 people who are bypassed every half hour. I'll try to check it out when I get a chance. If you see a dispatcher why don't you try asking him? (The only time I see massive numbers of buses taken out of service is after 8:30 AM.)

It would certainly make no sense to take any buses out of service at 1PM. Do you know if new buses are inserted at that time to replace the ones taken out, because that is also a possibility. Do any arrive with a "Not in Service " sign which is changed to passenger service at the terminal stop?

I was out there today at 1 PM and now know what you are talking about. Looks like they rewrote the schedule so that the drivers are now replaced at Mackenzie Street. It appears that all of the buses you see leaving "Not in Service" are being replaced by buses arriving "Not in Service" and going into Service at Mackenzie Street.

That would have been a great idea because it could have provided badly needed additional service to the Brighton Station by buses going out of service. But they way they implemented it by taking the buses out of service at Mackenzie and sending them directly to the depot is just plain stupid because it accomplishes nothing at all. Not only are the buses just as crowded, passengers are still being bypassed along Oriental Blvd although they are now running enough buses to give everyone a seat!

I am going to forward this to the person in charge of Operations for the B1 who thus far has been very cooperative. Thanks for posting this problem.

I was out there today at 1 PM and now know what you are talking about. Looks like they rewrote the schedule so that the drivers are now replaced at Mackenzie Street. It appears that all of the buses you see leaving "Not in Service" are being replaced by buses arriving "Not in Service" and going into Service at Mackenzie Street.

That would have been a great idea because it could have provided badly needed additional service to the Brighton Station by buses going out of service. But they way they implemented it by taking the buses out of service at Mackenzie and sending them directly to the depot is just plain stupid because it accomplishes nothing at all. Not only are the buses just as crowded, passengers are still being bypassed along Oriental Blvd although they are now running enough buses to give everyone a seat!

I am going to forward this to the person in charge of Operations for the B1 who thus far has been very cooperative. Thanks for posting this problem.

Thank you very much, and no problem ;).

I heard from Bus Operations today and they agree with us that those buses should be picking up passengers for the subway. The problem is that they don't have the final say. There will be a meeting next week where your concerns will be raised.

Don't know if anything can be done before April, but if I hear anything further, I will let you know. There also may be additional changes to the schedule in April to help out the Kingsborough students. The problem with a bureaucracy is that you have to convince many people that there is a problem and any additional money you spend is cost-effective. At least there are people who are trying to help.

Sounds like since the B1 route change last summer and it's now running entirely via 86th Street in SW Brooklyn service has gone down the tubes.

And back to topic. This is another example of the (MTA) sometimes not living in the 'real world.' Kingsborough(Oriental Blvd)is not just a few blocks from the Ulmer Park depot, it's at least 5 miles away.

I agree with both Alan(Brooklyn Bus) and this poster. The drivers deserve their 'break' but why 'deadhead' it all the way back to 25th/Cropsey?

At least have the bus run to 25th Avenue before being taken out of service.

If this is late evenings/nights to deadhead w/ much lighter ridership then that another story.

So a question guys as I have not riden on this 'new' (B1) route. Do the drivers 'relieve' each other at the Stillwell/86th Street area prior to the flip flop of the (B1) and (B64)last summer? During the middays, that what the (MTA) should allow the B/O's to 'relieve' or take over the shift.

Then maybe during rushhours some 'B1's should start/end at both 25th Ave and 13rd Ave/86th Street.

Some buses do terminate at 25th Avenue and others at 13th Avenue during certain parts of the day. There are also times when buses are deadheading between 25th Avenue and Kingsborough. Usually these buses run along Ocean Avenue to Neptune Avenue to the Belt Parkway to get to Ulmer Park. Occasionally they also use the regular route.

This is another example of the (MTA) sometimes not living in the 'real world.' Kingsborough(Oriental Blvd)is not just a few blocks from the Ulmer Park depot, it's at least 5 miles away.

A poster on another forum that there are even more extreme examples of deadheading like buses leaving Manhattanville depot on 132 Street and deadheading all the way to Abingdon Square in the Village.

• 3 weeks later...

I was there today watching from Noon to 2. Did they do something about the deadheading because it wasn't happening today? Only saw a few B49s doing it. Looked like they were taking passengers from Sheepshead Bay to the College. Only saw one B1 go out of service.

It was actually a very smooth and efficient operation today. At least one bus seemed to be picking up at a time with no one really having to wait for a bus. Buses seemed to appear whenever they were needed and weren't there when they weren't needed.

I never thought I'd ever say this but I would have to give the MTA an "A" for the service provided today. There really was nothing to criticize. Was today typical?

Lately it has gotten better, they seemed to have added a few Ocean Parkway and 25 Ave trips ;).

Maybe they still do return back to the depot or wherever they go, but they just decided to pick up passengers instead of letting a gigantic crowd build up. I hope it stays like this.

Archived