M1 and M3 on the LIRR

Donman

Hi everyone I am new to this forum. I was wondering if there is a way to find out when and where M1 and M3 trains run on the LIRR. I have an autistic sun who loves these trains, but since the newer engines have been around it's been getting tougher to find. If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Any line on the LIRR is fine, I will travel where ever I need to. Thank you.

Hi everyone I am new to this forum. I was wondering if there is a way to find out when and where M1 and M3 trains run on the LIRR. I have an autistic sun who loves these trains, but since the newer engines have been around it's been getting tougher to find. If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Any line on the LIRR is fine, I will travel where ever I need to. Thank you.

M1s dont run anymore, the M3s do but it can be tricky to find them. Rush Hour is your best bet. They tend to show up on the Babylon branch more than the others from what ive noticed, and weekends they are difficult to find.

If you ride Metro-North there is a similar looking train called the M2 on the New Haven line which is much easier to locate

Hello & Welcome Aboard to the NYCTF, (D)on(Mx)an!

The M1's are retired :P, but there are still some M3's left on the LIRR. I dont know really what lines, New Haven Possibly? :confused:

M3s wont get anywhere fast on the New Haven line.

New Haven isnt part of the LIRR :P

Im sorry I dont know too much about the railroads! I do need to start fanning the Railroads more, though I kind of am losing my interest in railfanning. Id rather hang out with my friend :P...

but anyway, back on topic, I dont really know what LIRR lines there are. I do think that there are M3A's on the MNRR New Haven line... :confused:

Welcome aboard

If you ride Metro-North there is a similar looking train called the M2 on the New Haven line which is much easier to locate

I wouldn't go after the M2s right now given all the problems. Wait until March for that.

Hello & Welcome Aboard to the NYCTF, (D)on(Mx)an!

The M1's are retired :P, but there are still some M3's left on the LIRR. I dont know really what lines, New Haven Possibly? :confused:

They're mostly on the Harlem Line, and can commonly be seen on the Hudson Line.

I have heard of an M3 being on the New Haven Line a few times, mostly for shop work at Stamford and they were never in service nor under their own power.

For any New Haven Line stuff, wait till after March 4 or even later, as the special schedules end on the 4th.

According to Railroad.net, the 372 M8's are supposed to replace all 240 M2's and all of the ~50 M4's and ~50 M6's, so get your shots and RFW's within the next year. In service date is still set for first quarter 2011, but delivering 372 cars will take at a LONG time.

For any New Haven Line stuff, wait till after March 4 or even later, as the special schedules end on the 4th.

According to Railroad.net, the 372 M8's are supposed to replace all 240 M2's and all of the ~50 M4's and ~50 M6's, so get your shots and RFW's within the next year. In service date is still set for first quarter 2011, but delivering 372 cars will take at a LONG time.

People are saying the M4s and M6s will still be around a while, so I dont know. Theres a lot of conflicting info

I agree that the M3s "tend" to show up on the Babylon line, but I think one's best bet is just to purchase a ticket from Jamaica-NYP on a weekday (near the rush) and wait for a pair to show up if you just simply want a ride in one.

better to do Mineola to Hicksville, its cheaper and you have options on how to get back to mineola. Dont do hicksville to mineola all the lots nearby require a permit on weekdays.

Im sorry I dont know too much about the railroads! I do need to start fanning the Railroads more, though I kind of am losing my interest in railfanning. Id rather hang out with my friend :P...

but anyway, back on topic, I dont really know what LIRR lines there are. I do think that there are M3A's on the MNRR New Haven line... :confused:

you dont even need to know about railroads to know that New Haven is a city in Connecticut, not New York

Yea I see them occasionally in the Atlantic Terminal.

Hempstead branch is pretty much the only train going to Atlantic these days. And Rockaway. Occasionally Long Beach.

Peak times Babylon, Huntington, and Ronkonkoma get a few Atlantic Term runs. Last time I was in Atlantic Term on a weekday I took the last afternoon off-peak train out of Atlantic Term and I saw an M3 heading in the opposite direction, most probably for the Babylon train out of there.

better to do Mineola to Hicksville, its cheaper and you have options on how to get back to mineola. Dont do hicksville to mineola all the lots nearby require a permit on weekdays.

True that it is cheaper, although you don't get the potential number of trains nor at the close intervals in which they arrive at Jamaica. A few years ago, I used to work at a place where I could see the main line between Mineola and Carle Place perfectly out the windows, and I did notice lots of M3s in 07/08, but like we all agree, they don't stick to any one line or branch. Sometimes I get a feeling that there's less out there now than then, but I have nothing to back this up.

Still, if you don't mind the fare west from Jamaica, it is simply where the most trains pass through with the most frequency.

The Railroad Museum of Long Island has a pair of M1s that are part of the museum. When the weather gets nicer and the museum reopens in the Spring, you can head out there and check them out, as well as the rest of the museum. (Disclaimer: I am a volunteer at the museum.)

Have fun!

The Railroad Museum of Long Island has a pair of M1s that are part of the museum. When the weather gets nicer and the museum reopens in the Spring, you can head out there and check them out, as well as the rest of the museum. (Disclaimer: I am a volunteer at the museum.)

Have fun!

are you able to walk inside the M1 set in Riverhead?

Archived