M1 and M3 on the LIRR

Donman

are you able to walk inside the M1 set in Riverhead?

Yes, you can walk through it, as well as some coaches. It's right next to the ROW, too bad it's an inactive ROW on weekends.

The museum is nice, but pretty small. There's a small scale riding train that circles the site (too bad I never rode it when I was there on the 175th tour). The station is 1 block away, but one can't arrive from the west by rail, visit the museum, go to the Greenport site by rail, and then come back, owing to the low frequencies. The S92 bus helps, but beware that it is horrendously unreliable during the warmer months.

The museum repoens in early April 9th (sorry I wasn't more specific earlier, but I didn't remember the exact date). From the other posters, it seems your best bet to ride an M3 (and for variety of train spotting) is to go on the Metro North. Of course, you could always do one and then the other. Mineola sees a variety of passenger equipment, and the NYAR runs freight through Mineola to points east, but I have no idea what their schedule is like.

We're all in luck.

4yumu.png

I have drafted plans for a handheld meter that will track down any M3 currently in service on the LIRR. The gauge will rise and clicking/bee-boop noises will sound as the consist enters a one mile radius. Enough with waiting at certain stations or testing your luck at certain times of day. With this, there are no worries. As a delightful fluke, it also picks up Jersey Arrows for whatever reason.

We're all in luck.

4yumu.png

I have drafted plans for a handheld meter that will track down any M3 currently in service on the LIRR. The gauge will rise and clicking/bee-boop noises will sound as the consist enters a one mile radius. Enough with waiting at certain stations or testing your luck at certain times of day. With this, there are no worries. As a delightful fluke, it also picks up Jersey Arrows for whatever reason.

I was gunna use a crystal ball to find where they are

Archived