Suggestion: Forbid replies containing only "Nice pics"

NX Express

When I post pictures, it is annoying to have to scroll through ten "nice pics" replies to see some constructive feedback or suggestions.

My idea is to have people, instead of replying "Nice pics", merely press the thanks button on the OP's post.

Is this reasonable?

Not really. Ive seen people do both.

When you thank somebody I think you are giving them "credit". I dont know if this is still going but I think the amount of stars you have depends on the number of thanks you have.

What gets really annoying is when someone quotes the post to say thanks will all the pics and vids in the quote and it takes forever to load the page :mad:

but still, IMO, Id rather put "nice pics", instead of always saying the same old "thanks" all the time.

When you say "Nice Pics", you can say it several ways, "Nice shots!", or "Great pics! thx for sharing!", instead of always saying the same "thanks:tup:".

Not really. Ive seen people do both.

When you thank somebody I think you are giving them "credit". I dont know if this is still going but I think the amount of stars you have depends on the number of thanks you have.

What gets really annoying is when someone quotes the post to say thanks will all the pics and vids in the quote and it takes forever to load the page :mad:

but still, IMO, Id rather put "nice pics", instead of always saying the same old "thanks" all the time.

When you say "Nice Pics", you can say it several ways, "Nice shots!", or "Great pics! thx for sharing!", instead of always saying the same "thanks:tup:".

However, it does get really old and annoying? For example, which would you prefer?

<Your post, not thanked by anyone>

Nice pics

Awesome pics

Amazing pics

Nice shots

Awesome shots

Awesome pics

Awesome shots

Great

Amazing

Good, but some are a little blurry.

OR

<Your post, thanked by 10 people>

It's easier to find meaningful comments the second way.:tup:

However, it does get really old and annoying? For example, which would you prefer?

<Your post, not thanked by anyone>

Nice pics

Awesome pics

Amazing pics

Nice shots

Awesome shots

Awesome pics

Awesome shots

Great

Amazing

OR

<Your post, thanked by 10 people>

It's easier to find meaningful comments the second way.:tup:

I usually do both. I thank people and write a comment. Its kind of like a youtube video:

You rate up / say thanks

you comment / post reply

I usually do both. I thank people and write a comment. Its kind of like a youtube video:

You rate up / say thanks

you comment / post reply

But, IMO, it is quite annoying to have to scroll through numerous meaningless replies just to see any feedback, especially when those replies can be replaced with a click of a thanks button.

There is a limit for using the "Thank You" button, so unless the limit is slightly increased, your idea may not work.

Agreed. What is it now, somewhere around 10 per day? If it becomes 15 it'll be enough. Besides, people really shouldn't comment on that many photo threads anyway.

When I post pictures, it is annoying to have to scroll through ten "nice pics" replies to see some constructive feedback or suggestions.

My idea is to have people, instead of replying "Nice pics", merely press the thanks button on the OP's post.

Is this reasonable?

thats usually what I do lol

His code breaking photos get a lot of thanks in general. :eek:

Here's what I had in my mind for some time now. Would it be easier, for those that present their own photos here, to create their own monthly photo thread for the sole purpose of presenting their photos taken in (insert any month here)?

Supposedly person A takes ## bus/train photos 5 times (different days) in one month. (s)he can create a thread for photos taken during (insert month here). Once that month ends, (s)he can create another thread for photos taken in (insert the next month here). Does this make sense? :P

His code breaking photos get a lot of thanks in general. :eek:

Here's what I had in my mind for some time now. Would it be easier, for those that present their own photos here, to create their own monthly photo thread for the sole purpose of presenting their photos taken in (insert any month here)?

Supposedly person A takes ## bus/train photos 5 times (different days) in one month. (s)he can create a thread for photos taken during (insert month here). Once that month ends, (s)he can create another thread for photos taken in (insert the next month here). Does this make sense? :P

I think that every 2 weeks is better than every month, as many people railfan quite often.

Also, IMO there should be one thread for each railfan trip, as it is quite ...err... annoying to see 10 threads about the same topic, with the same photos.

Also, in those threads, only links should be posted, not the pictures themselves, as it would take forever to load.

Opinions?

So, what you're suggesting is that members instead of posting a personal compliment and possibly adding an opinion on an individual photo merely click an impersonal thank you by clicking the thanks button?

I think that may clutter/overload the bottom of the photo thread if, say, fifty members each clicked the thanks button.

I think a personal compliment from a member is nice. A simple "Excellent photos" with a thumbs up smilie has meaning. It means a member took time to look at the photo(s) then post a compliment.

I think Harry, Zach, and East New York are nice for providing a photo/video subforum for nearly each our forums and setting reasonable guidelines.

So, what you're suggesting is that members instead of posting a personal compliment and possibly adding an opinion on an individual photo merely click an impersonal thank you by clicking the thanks button?

I think that may clutter/overload the bottom of the photo thread if, say, fifty members each clicked the thanks button.

I think a personal compliment from a member is nice. A simple "Excellent photos" with a thumbs up smilie has meaning. It means a member took time to look at the photo(s) then post a compliment.

I think Harry, Zach, and East New York are nice for providing a photo/video subforum for nearly each our forums and setting reasonable guidelines.

IMO, compliments get impersonal en masse, for example as you suggested with 50 users. It also makes it harder to see any constructive criticism.

Also, since the # of thanks shows up on each of the user's post, it is easier to distinguish users with more valuable info and pictures.

In addition, it will prevent abuse by those trying to pad their post count by posting "Nice pics" many times in a row.

Also, it will overload the thread more if 50 people each say "Nice pics" then if 50 people thank the user.:P

Sometimes the Thanks button is missing. There are also situations in which I'm only interesting in a particular pic. For example, in the bus threads I couldn't care less about NG's or RTS buses. However, I like the express bus and LFSA pics so I'll say, "Nice express bus pics." The only time I'll say Nice pics is if the Thanks button is missing.

Personally I don't see a point to this. "Nice pics" replies have been around forever and they're specific.

"Thanks" is thanks for what? "The pictures suck, but you photographed something rare, that I wouldn't have known about without your pics"?

Or

"These are amazing, clear pictures of a boring subject that I see every day".

Both could justify thanks. But by allowing people to say "nice pictures" or "nice catch" they can be more specific if they choose to while giving feedback. Also, it keeps a majority of the comments positive since the constructive criticism will still be there. Doing away with that may make people feel subject to criticism only.

Plus people shouldn't be running up their thanks counts IMO for pictures unless they are shots of things that are BOTH rare and well photographed. Thanks should be for helpful or insightful comments or responses to questions. For my part I try to thank people for good comments, or comments that I particularly agree with or think "needed to be said"

Your post was insightful Subwayguy lol.

I do agree with NX, sometimes it gets tedious to comment on just about every pic thread especially if there is nothing else to say about it. I would agree with the "thanks" button or even a "like" button which is similar to FB-- I think it was Phil came up with that suggestion.

But, IMO, it is quite annoying to have to scroll through numerous meaningless replies just to see any feedback, especially when those replies can be replaced with a click of a thanks button.

Exactly, if you don't like people replying with "nice pic" or what ever then maybe you should just not post photos them. Other people like it and it should not be stopped just because YOU don't like that.

I don't mind comments saying "nice pics" or "cool shots" etc but I like it when people point out their favorite shot and why they like it or offer their constructive criticism of my shots and give tips. I just don't like it when people leave rude comments to people's pictures although that doesn't happen alot. Doing that is not helping the poster get better at taking pictures.

I'd say no....such answers should not be forbidden. However, at the same time, as this is a photographic community, there should also be critiques as to how to make it better. Critiquing (so long as it isn't flaming) is good.

If it's a nice pics comment - say how it's nice (i.e., background, lighting, composure, etc).

I'd say no....such answers should not be forbidden. However, at the same time, as this is a photographic community, there should also be critiques as to how to make it better. Critiquing (so long as it isn't flaming) is good.

If it's a nice pics comment - say how it's nice (i.e., background, lighting, composure, etc).

This was the answer I was looking for!

Archived