Part Time work?

Burrstone

Anyone know of any good part time work? I've returned to school and would like to find a decent part time gig if any exist. I go to school on Monday and Tuesdays, and am free wed-sun... I cannot find anyplace place that will hire me since I went back to school, even places looking for part-time, the excuse they give is "you have to have open availability" which I don't understand, who with 100% open availability 7 days a week choose a part-time job instead of full time.

I know someone will recommend school buses, even all they are part-time work, but It will not work out because I'm not available 2 out of the 5 school days... I just left a school bus company that pays new hires just shy of $19/hr.

I'm open to any ideas or suggestions...

Thanks.

The MTA is hiring PT paratransit drivers in Nassau for $14.75 an hour.

You can also periodically check usajobs.gov for TSA jobs. They are PT and pay about $18 an hour.

Thanks for the heads up about the TSA jobs, I've talked to someone about that, ad the test sounds pretty interesting, they do a simulation of the actual job and see if you can do/adapt to the job. Pretty interesting. Great way to test ones job related skills, IMO.

Do you know if the P/T hours are flexible, or you have to be available what ever hours they assign, or during a certain shift.

As far as LI bus... There's no way I'd go to paratrasit,that's just me, I like knowing what I'm doing everyday, and paratransit is too "all over" for me.

I did talk to them and about LABO (Limited Availability Bus Operator =AKA= part-time "as needed" LI Bus driver) I was on a list to go through training, they had no classes open, but when they did I missed out by not calling the back, I was involved with something else at the time. I have since called them back, made amens for not calling them back, went in to update my application. I got a call back when the school year started back, yippy, Another class? Nope. The HR guy (guy I interviewed with, who reviewed my application when I updated it) decided something wasn't clear on my application and needed to schedule an appointment for me to come in and redo the application...

I noticed a trend of HR wanting you to come in and "update" or "correct" applications a lot when they weren't hiring. IMHO people in these positions have to justify their position, and have something to do when they are not regularly hiring.

I personally feel LI Bus lost a good driver with a good driving record continually wanting me go in to correct something that the guy took his time reviewing at least twice in the past to make sure it correct/clear...

I do regret not jumping like a good boy like I should have, I'd go to LI Bus in a heartbeat if they called me, I just couldn't deal with the "we need you to come in and do this" (even though the guy looked through it thoroughly at least twice in front of me) and not me able to offer me any news on a class...

Maybe I was better off, I've talked to a couple of drivers who told me how it is being a LABO driver. You get all the pieces of work no one wants or they can't fit onto anyone elses schedule... You do multiple different routes, one after another, with almost no time to make it on time, and even though the pieces of work are put together with little time for play, the supervisors are on your back all day for being late. (and I heard a supervisor in Freeport chewing a driver (who I assume was a LABO driver) a new one for being late. The driver didn't seem to speak the best English, All I could hear him say was he didn't have enough time. The supervisor just continually shouted "NO EXCUSES, NO EXCUSES." lol

Archived