North Shore Rail Discussion

checkmatechamp13

86th Street (R) via a transfer.
So... how many people do you estimate that would in this order

1. Ride the Red Line to 86th St

2. Transfer to the slow (R)

3. Transfer to the (N) at 59th St or even the (D) at 36th St

on a daily basis.

Also including the waiting times during each transfer and waiting for a train. Versus a one-seat subway ride via Manhattan/Brooklyn express:eek:

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They already do this on the Staten Island Ferry. What difference would it make?
SMH... You fail to understand the difference between infeasible & feasible and short-term & long-term solutions. That's all I got to say and I respect you thought into your SI Light Rail Concept.

Actually light rail is a long term solution. Staten Island has a population about the size of Portland so a light rail system like that would be able to do just as well on Staten Island. I never really would expect Staten Island to ever surpass the 1.5 million people mark due to it's huge distance from Manhattan. Commuting time to Midtown Manhattan would always take a long time from Staten Island so it wouldn't boom like crazy.

Actually light rail is a long term solution. Staten Island has a population about the size of Portland so a light rail system like that would be able to do just as well on Staten Island. I never really would expect Staten Island to ever surpass the 1.5 million people mark due to it's huge distance from Manhattan. Commuting time to Midtown Manhattan would always take a long time from Staten Island so it wouldn't boom like crazy.
Distance doesn't have nothing to do with it. Everywhere else in the NYC metro area (Hudson Valley, Connecticut, New Jersey, Long Island) has access to heavy rail to Manhattan or in the city both heavy rail and the subway. Staten Island has "poor transportation options" nothin but automobiles and the ferry to commute off the island; which is the reason why the population isn't explosive as the rest of the area.

No Heavy Rail?

dinkelberg-146447.html

But i like the idea of Light rail. Because it can be built over bridges and stuff like the Bayonne and Verrezano, then it can actually serve SI unlike the buses

coughs(S40)coughs

My newest Staten Island Light Rail Concept. It has been updated to the new North Shore Light Rail, and follows the West Shore Light Rail.

Blue Line: Current SIR

Red Line: St. George-86th Street (R) (Brooklyn) via Verrazano Narrows Bridge

Orange Line: Extension of Hudson Bergen Light Rail via Bayonne Bridge from Hoboken Terminal-Atlantic (SIR)

Green Line: St. George-Atlantic (SIR)

High speed ferries replace the current ferries that run on the Staten Island Ferry to speed up commute time to Lower Manhattan.

That Red Line is way too circuitous. If you insist on putting a line on the SIE, at least have it end at Bloomfield or Arlington.

I stand by what I said about what I feel is the best plan, in this post: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=490736&postcount=632

They already do this on the Staten Island Ferry. What difference would it make?

Have you wondered why our express bus ridership is so high? It's because people don't want to make transfers. During rush hour, express buses are at their peak and serve more riders than the ferry does.

Off-peak, the ferry gets more riders only because the express bus doesn't run too frequently, but off-peak, there are actually a lot of SIers driving into Manhattan so they don't have to deal with the ferry.

Portland is twice the size of SI, so it's an invalid comparison even though it has a similar population.

SI's overall density is a little over 8,000 people per square mile, whereas Portland's is around 4,200.

Plus, you have to consider that Portland is the city itself. You're just moving the residents around the city. Here, you're moving a boroughful of people to Manhattan, which is even denser, which makes an even better case for heavy rail.

As far as proximity to Midtown, the trip from St. George to Midtown would be around 25 minutes. A trip to Arlington would be around 40 minutes, and a trip to Tottenville would be around an hour.

Wakefield is an hour from Midtown and it's very dense. There are even parts of the Rockaways that are dense despite being so far out.

Even if it only reached 1.5 million people, that would give it a density of 24,000 per square mile, which is more than Philadelphia in terms of both density and actual population.

There isn't a need for it as I see. Since the route of the North Shore Light Rail has been changed it can't cross the Geothals Bridge to NJ.

Not exactly it won't need to cross that bridge I'd have it as a separate bridge to link with existing tracks in NJ in a way direct to woodbridge if ya want. It can be customized to link with NJT services better and deeper.

@ checkmate S56/S55 is for an entirely different market to link with CL trains and academy buses and rte 9 buses. The rail would be for northern middlesex and the inner parts. The bus would be for rte 9 and GSP corridors via linkage with those buses.

My newest Staten Island Light Rail Concept. It has been updated to the new North Shore Light Rail, and follows the West Shore Light Rail.

Blue Line: Current SIR

Red Line: St. George-86th Street (R) (Brooklyn) via Verrazano Narrows Bridge

Orange Line: Extension of Hudson Bergen Light Rail via Bayonne Bridge from Hoboken Terminal-Atlantic (SIR)

Green Line: St. George-Atlantic (SIR)

High speed ferries replace the current ferries that run on the Staten Island Ferry to speed up commute time to Lower Manhattan.

6249835431_0f3b838a36_b.jpg

Your train ideas are very Chicagoland:cool: I've never been to the Second City:(, but the Windy City has been to me;)

I agree about the waterways. They are an underutilized mass transitway. Especially on SI. I hear Seattle has the most ferry routes of anywhere just about(?).

Your train ideas are very Chicagoland:cool: I've never been to the Second City:(, but the Windy City has been to me:D

I agree about the waterways. They are an underutilized mass transitway. Especially on SI. I hear Seattle has the most ferry routes of anywhere just about(?).

Seattle also has a SUPERIOR express bus network as well. It's like a bunch of high speed buses in a sense there is also HOV immunity that is granted to em 24/7

• 4 months later...

From my perspective, the North Shore connection to the existing SIR should proceed apace, the PATH system should be subsumed into the MTA, the North Shore should span the Arthur Kill and connect to the old PATH system at Newark Airport - which is where it is headed as we speak. This would mean a one seat ride from Tottenville to Herald Square with the swipe of a MetroCard - and all at a tiny fraction of what it will cost to tunnel across the Narrows to Brooklyn.

The Port Authority doesn't need to operate an urban commuter subway system. It should confine it's activities to NY/NJ's role as an international port, both by sea and by air.

But the thing is that the travel time would be too long. Think about it: You have to go from Tottenville to St. George, then backtrack from St. George over to NJ, and then backtrack again along the PATH line. You're not going to take a bunch of riders off the express bus, or even the ferry by taking that route. Plus, you're adding a bunch of SI riders to the PATH so it's more crowded. You don't have to do that if you make a straight tunnel to Manhattan. I mean, sure it's more expensive, but the benefits are far greater.

I do think the North Shore Rail Line should go over to Elizabeth (screw the damn Teleport. It's not the MTA's fault they built it in the middle of nowhere, and besides, hopefully they'll be served by the West Shore Rail Line from Bayonne), but the purpose should be just for regional connectivity (to go out along the Northeast Corridor/North Jersey Coast Line or to take a bus from Elizabeth), not to reach Manhattan.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got this email:

"North Shore Alternatives Analysis PUBLIC MEETING – THURSDAY, MAY 10, 2012 - 6:30 p.m. SNUG HARBOR CULTURAL CENTERBuilding P, 1000 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, New York Join MTA-NYCT as we share the results of this study. "

I have an AP test the next day, so I can't go.

By the way, there's always this woman there who claims to represent the community and keeps talking about how she doesn't want some "pristine land" by Richmond Terrace paved over (I didn't know "pristine land" meant old factories) and how the reason it shouldn't be done is because they got the boundaries of Port Richmond wrong. My friend and I had a good laugh about it.

Current short list:

No Build (required by fed as a baseline)

Light rail

Bus rapid transit on a dedicated roadway using mostly the old RR right of way

And no S40 bus

http://www.mta.info/.../documents.html

Next announcement May 10

Are you from Zetlin, because like I mentioned in the thread, I think it's completely stupid to take heavy rail off the short list. You're going to give up the chance to make a connection to Manhattan for the sake of an office park that's like 50% vacant? It makes no sense to me.

What should be done is the Route 440/West Shore corridor be served by HBLR or similar/Light Rail Service, and the North Shore served by SIRTOA/Heavy Rail Service. I don't think BRT is the best way to go for the entire corridor.

I don't think BRT is good for any part of the corridor.

But yeah, the North Shore should definitely be served by heavy rail, and the West Shore should definitely be served by light rail. The question is where along the West Shore the line should go (whether it should be down Richmond Avenue, or along the WSE like they want), but that's definitely how the basic layout would be.

If there was enough money, what I would do is have the North Shore Line continue from Arlington, get onto the West Shore Expressway somehow, and then go down the West Shore Expressway to Pleasant Plains. The West Shore Line would basically go down Richmond Avenue until the ETC or Eltingville SIR station.

But basically, the North Shore Line should be 100% heavy rail. If they could extend it past Arlington and have it serve the Teleport and other parts of the West Shore, great. If not, oh well.

Archived