Amtrak to Vegas!

BZGuy

lol, nailed it on the stubborn part. After that Megabus crash into that rail bridge, anyone that would pick it over greyhound must be nuts.

I would say incorrect, but I promised to stop doing that. One crash is just one crash. On Monday, I took Megabus to and from Philly. It was $10 round trip. The bus was on time and I had two seats with outlets to myself.

You forgot Path B)

Greyhound is pure horror, I've read some crazy stories about them over the years. One story that sticks out is where a dude that was traveling on Greyhound got robbed as he was sleeping, woke up and his stuff was gone. The bus leaving people @ Rest stops, etc, I forgot what I googled and stumbled upon all kinds of hound horror stories lol.

Being fair in recent years Greyhound has gotten a little better. They got the newer buses mainly on their Northeast Coordior routes which features WiFI and plugs on every other seat row for charging laptops/cell phones.

Also leather seats. By end of 2012, most of Greyhound national fleet is supposed to have these new buses. Not to mention better security as well.

I took Greyhound last spring from NY-DC and it was a nice drama free trip. Granted it was on an Early Saturday morning.

With that said, the cliente depending on the time of day and cities it travels to, you can have a 'ghetto' type crowd.

best way to Vegas by Amtrak is to take a sleeper car to Chicago. from there take the Southwest Chief (sleeper car) to Needles California.At Needles you take a shuttle van into Vegas. This saves the trip to LA and shuttle bus ride back to Vegas. Needles is the nearest Amtrak stop to Vegas. I think it took less than 90 minutes to get to Vegas from Needles. Nice ride through the desert at night! Also took some nice pictures and video on the trip there and back (on the Southwest Chief), which was the main reason for taking the train there in the first place! Took the same route coming and going. Amtrak will make the arrangement for the Needles shuttle to Vegas once you tell them that is the way you want to get to Vegas.

Greyhound in the northeast may not be all that bad, but from what I can tell, in the rest of the country, it's still the same old Greyhound.

I also don't trust anything Coach USA after both the Megabus accident in Syracuse and the crispy Short Line bus in Richford last night that my friend had to put out.

Amtrak is safer than the bus, cleaner than the bus, quicker than the bus, has a smoother ride than the bus (especially with all of those potholes on just about every road I've traveled this winter), their equipment (which averages well under the 40-year-old age of the railroad itself) has gone through a thorough overhaul, increasing passenger comfort, and the remaining cars in the fleet inherited from the private lines (save for Metroliner-cabs and the small fleet of Pacific Parlour cars) will be replaced starting in 2012. Diesel equipment is rather new, and electric locomotives will be completely replaced starting in late-2012 to 2013. And you can find really good deals on long-distance train travel if you know where to look ($65 from Boston to Chicago), though adding sleeper accommodations to the basic coach fare will increase the price.

So next time you're traveling a long distance, and you have the luxury of time, don't take Forest Glen's advice and get yourself felt-up at the airport. Take Amtrak!

Greyhound in the northeast may not be all that bad, but from what I can tell, in the rest of the country, it's still the same old Greyhound.

I also don't trust anything Coach USA after both the Megabus accident in Syracuse and the crispy Short Line bus in Richford last night that my friend had to put out.

Amtrak is safer than the bus, cleaner than the bus, quicker than the bus, has a smoother ride than the bus (especially with all of those potholes on just about every road I've traveled this winter), their equipment (which averages well under the 40-year-old age of the railroad itself) has gone through a thorough overhaul, increasing passenger comfort, and the remaining cars in the fleet inherited from the private lines (save for Metroliner-cabs and the small fleet of Pacific Parlour cars) will be replaced starting in 2012. Diesel equipment is rather new, and electric locomotives will be completely replaced starting in late-2012 to 2013. And you can find really good deals on long-distance train travel if you know where to look ($65 from Boston to Chicago), though adding sleeper accommodations to the basic coach fare will increase the price.

So next time you're traveling a long distance, and you have the luxury of time, don't take Forest Glen's advice and get yourself felt-up at the airport. Take Amtrak!

Great advice. Just too bad most of us don't have the time when we have vactions/holidays. Thus on trips over 1,500 miles, we are stuck in most cases have to fly and go through the security check crap By TSA to fly like myself from JFK-LAX, JFK-San Diego, etc.:)

Being fair in recent years Greyhound has gotten a little better. They got the newer buses mainly on their Northeast Coordior routes which features WiFI and plugs on every other seat row for charging laptops/cell phones.

Also leather seats. By end of 2012, most of Greyhound national fleet is supposed to have these new buses. Not to mention better security as well.

I took Greyhound last spring from NY-DC and it was a nice drama free trip. Granted it was on an Early Saturday morning.

With that said, the cliente depending on the time of day and cities it travels to, you can have a 'ghetto' type crowd.

Greyhound has gone down hill in Canada, they have a large bus shortage with runs being cancelled due to not enought buses and some runs have even been covered with Charter companies providing buses and drivers.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm going to Vegas in October and I'm thinking about doing a Amtrak out and Greyhound back.

Just wondering if anybody has taken Amtrak long distance and could recommend if I should spring for a sleeper or just keep a regular seat.

Any other recommendations about taking the train out there would be helpful!

i went to vegas on amtrak it was a long ride food was not good at allstayed in the bar car most of the trip:tdown:.most have walked the whole train back and forth a dozen times bad experience i did this from nyc.dont know where you live if its close near you thats good.i took a plane back much faster plus if you want to sight see from the train you see nothing.forget greyhound take you 3 days to get back dont do it if you are leaving from nyc bad idea.take the plane much faster.:tdown:

Archived