Catherine Cowdery, The Voice Behind The Announcements Is Revelaed

Sea Beach

Did some research on Catherine, and here are the results:

catherine_cowdery200.jpg

Catherine Cowdery is a reporter for Bloomberg Radio, providing news and market updates for Bloomberg Radio's afternoon programming including "Taking Stock with Pimm Fox."

Cowdery, who joined Bloomberg in 1990, has anchored and reported on Bloomberg Radio during some of New York City's most defining events including the 9/11 attacks and the 2003 citywide blackout. Prior to joining Bloomberg, Cowdery was a newscaster and correspondent for ABC News Radio, 1010 WINS and other stations across the U.S. She also anchored programming on the Satellite News Channel and served as a news director, anchor and reporter for WSMW in Massachusetts.

Cowdery earned a Bachelor of Arts from Barnard College and a master's degree from the Columbia University School of Journalism.

Cowdery is also known for voicing the "transfer" and "station stop" announcements for many New York City subway lines.

http://www.bloomberg.com/personalities/catherine_cowdery

Her voice is heard here in this Bloomberg podcast:

http://media.bloomberg.com/bb/avfile/Markets/Analyst_Calls/vM2VBoOQD93o.mp3

More:

http://www.bloomberg.com/podcasts/etf-report

Now we know who she is

Wait... What lines does she do the announcements on...

(N) Line???

Lawd....she's on (:P(D)(E)(G)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q) (Manhattan, 57th Street-7th Avenue and Astoria-Ditmars bound (Q)) (R)(V)(W) and (Z) trains. "This is a Manhattan bound (F) train via the (A)(C)(D)(E)(N) line" or "This is a Queens bound (F) train via the (D) or (E) line"

Transfer announcements on the (F)

I like Diane Thompson's announcements over Catherine's a bit....

I remember the (5) had two announcers...one lady (Melissa Kliner) would say "this is a Manhattan-bound (5) express train", when Diane Thompson would take over "the next stop is..." such and such.

there are some funny errors with her announcements:

on the (E), at Grand Avenue, it sounds like she is saying "This is: Grand Avenue-Newton".

on the (L), when the next stop is Rockaway Park, she says it "canarsie-rrrockaway Parkway".

on the (J), Instead of saying "kosciuszko Street" (Koskeyosko) normally, she says it like "Kozooko Street".

wait, just a question, who does the (C) announcements??

anybody notice the announcement error on the (5)?

"This is a Manhattan Bound (5) Express Train. The Next Stop is Grand Central-42 Street"

Its going to Bowling Green, its in Manhattan, but it says Manhattan Bound. :confused::eek:

"This is a Manhattan Bound (5) Express Train. The Next Stop is Grand Central-42 Street"

Its going to Bowling Green, its in Manhattan, but it says Manhattan Bound. :confused::eek:

Elaborate. This has never happened to me.

The trains forget the borough.

Guest lance25

on the (E), at Grand Avenue, it sounds like she is saying "This is: Grand Avenue-Newton".

on the (L), when the next stop is Rockaway Park, she says it "canarsie-rrrockaway Parkway".

on the (J), Instead of saying "kosciuszko Street" (Koskeyosko) normally, she says it like "Kozooko Street".

1) The problem is that no one proofs the recordings, especially with the Grand Av announcement.

2) Dianne Thompson. Remember, the (C) is basically the (A) local. :P

That happens on several of the R142/R142As. That's because there are two different files that play when the doors open: one for the destination (Manhattan-/Bowling Green-bound, etc.) and the other for The next stop is.... The problem is that either the computer chooses the wrong file or is programmed to choose the wrong file.

Wait, are you talking about the <6>? Because it happens to me all the time there, not the (5).

1. If you actually visited Grand Avenue station, thats what the area is...and what it says on the tiles...and its also said on the map...

2. Canarsie is the section the (L) is going to in Brooklyn, much like the F's "This is a Jamaica-179th Street Bound (F) local train" announcement...

3. I dont think anyone really cares about pronunciation.

Verdict? NO ERRORS!

I believe that was corrected with the R160 (E). Last time i rode a (E) on he Queens Blvd. local it said "This is Grand Avenue-Newtown". I don't know if it was just that set that it was corrected on.

Lawd....she's on (B)(D)(E)(G)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q) (Manhattan, 57th Street-7th Avenue and Astoria-Ditmars bound (Q)) (R)(V)(W) and (Z) trains

Transfer announcements on the (F)

I'm surprised Catherine was given so many of the B-Division lines. You'd think that with there being so many more letter than number lines that they would have split up the B-Division station announcements more evenly between her and Dianne (or other people). With the A-Division, they split the lines more evenly with Jessica Ettinger getting the (4), (5) and (6) lines and Dianne Thompson getting the (1), (2), (3) and (7) lines. I wonder how long it took her to do them all. Then again, there's the guy who recorded all the station announcements for the LIRR and Metro-North and the platform gap warning.

I'm surprised Catherine was given so many of the B-Division lines. You'd think that with there being so many more letter than number lines that they would have split up the B-Division station announcements more evenly between her and Dianne (or other people). With the A-Division, they split the lines more evenly with Jessica Ettinger getting the (4), (5) and (6) lines and Dianne Thompson getting the (1), (2), (3) and (7) lines. I wonder how long it took her to do them all. Then again, there's the guy who recorded all the station announcements for the LIRR and Metro-North and the platform gap warning.

Dianne Thompson always did the 7th Avenue Line. Melissa Kleiner used to be on the (5)<5> but they switched it over to Jessica. The person who does the gap announcement on the M-7/A's is the person who is on the AirTrain announcements around JFK Airport and he also do the "There is an express (5) train to Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue approaching the station" for the next train arriving @ the train stations and his name is Bernie Wagenblast. Well Jessica stopped doing announcements so I guess they used Catherine for most of the B Division Line!

And for those who don't know Dianne Thompson is on the (A)(C)(F) (of course) Franklin Avenue and Rockaway Park (S)huttles. Manhattan bound (N), Coney Island bound (Q). Transfer announcements on the (E)(J)(M)(Z). PATH announcements on the (E)(M)(N)(Q)(R). Q10 bus announcement on the (E)(J)(Z) and M60 bus announcement on the (N)!

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The way she pronounces it is actually how its pronounced but us as New Yorkers sound it out exactly how its spelled, muck like Hoyt-Schermerhorn is prnounced

And for those who don't know Dianne Thompson is on the (A)(C)(F) (of course) Franklin Avenue and Rockaway Park (S)huttles. Manhattan bound (N), Coney Island bound (Q). Transfer announcements on the (E)(J)(M)(Z). PATH announcements on the (E)(M)(N)(Q)(R). Q10 bus announcement on the (E)(J)(Z) and M60 bus announcement on the (N)!

Dude, you said it the best!

Dianne Thompson always did the 7th Avenue Line. Melissa Kleiner used to be on the (5)<5> but they switched it over to Jessica. The person who does the gap announcement on the M-7/A's is the person who is on the AirTrain announcements around JFK Airport and he also do the "There is an express (5) train to Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue approaching the station" for the next train arriving @ the train stations and his name is Bernie Wagenblast. Well Jessica stopped doing announcements so I guess they used Catherine for most of the B Division Line!

I got my daily dose of transit 101. Great post! And thanks!

"Instead of saying "kosciuszko Street" (Koskeyosko) normally, she says it like "Kozooko Street"

"3. I dont think anyone really cares about pronunciation."

I care. How in the world can you look at "Kosciuszko" and get "Kos-key-osko" from that?

Kosciuszko - Kos-choose-ko

Schermerhorn - Ske-mer-horn

Not for nothing, the overuse and acceptance of text, hip-hop-speak (phat, wuz, fellaz, etc.), and other forms of slang contribute to a general laziness and indifference in learning and using correct pronunciation and spelling. I had some momo at DMV trying to tell me how to "correctly" pronounce my own surname. I asked her why she thought my name should be pronounced her way. She replied, "Because the first letter is silent." Really, who said so? "Well, uh, it's supposed to be silent." Again, who said so? It wouldn't be there if it wasn't meant to be pronounced. Or, is it that you're too damned lazy to say it correctly? Don't be dismissive of pronunciation and spelling. Illiteracy impresses no one, except another illiterate. Just my 2 cents. Keep the change. B)

Archived