Orion V rear door questions

Joel Up Front

I notice the Orion V rear doors slam on you after you let go of them, but sometimes they close slowly like the VAPOR doors do on some of the Orion VIIs (and the NGs out here).

Does the bus operator control that or does pressing that yellow tape actually open the doors/close them slowly for you? I used to be afraid of those things slamming on me when I first started riding the bus.

yes, Ive been on those many times and they almost always slam. The orion V ones are driver-controlled.

On the Orion VII OGs (#'s 3600's, etc) (can someone please give me the correct name?) I notice alot the front door slams. Whats worse is sometimes they screech open or closed.

Ive never heard the back door slam on an Orion VII or the front door slam on an Orion V ;)

I notice the Orion V rear doors slam on you after you let go of them, but sometimes they close slowly like the VAPOR doors do on some of the Orion VIIs (and the NGs out here).

Does the bus operator control that or does pressing that yellow tape actually open the doors/close them slowly for you? I used to be afraid of those things slamming on me when I first started riding the bus.

I can tell you about one part of your question. The doors are controlled by a switch that either opens them automatically or just releases the air holding the doors and waits for someone to hit the tape on the door and then opens. The door speed is controlled by neither the passenger or the driver.

These are all LIB Orion Vs I'm talking about, I know they're different from the city's (the latter all have framed windows, cast iron rims instead of Alcoas, single front doors, cords, and more I probably don't know about)...

Well, most of the bus operators out here must leave the switch on the "tape" position, but I suppose either people just push the door itself open anyway or you have to push the tape hard, because I tried pushing the tape and it did nothing.

...Well, most of the bus operators must leave the switch on the "tape" position, but I suppose either people just push the door itself open anyway or you have to push the tape hard, because I tried pushing the tape and it did nothing.

In touch tape bypass mode (or SBS mode on the LFSAs) the rear door/s will automatically open once the driver turns the door control to rear. Other than that, it'll open up if you push it far enough or if the tape is touched.

The only exception to this rule is the the es-Bee Lines and ex-WMATAs Orion Vs (the ones at LGA, JFK, & Baisley Pk) those rear doors open automatically once the door control is in rear

Why don't they just set all of the buses up so that the back doors open automatically when you touch the tape instead of leaving it as an option? This seems to be the norm in Manhattan, but not in the outer boroughs. In the outer boroughs its hit or miss. :(

There are times when the bus driver doesn't want a passenger to leave the back door open. Two examples are:

-If the bus driver is a stickler for farebeaters (lets not start on this) and doesn't want anybody coming in through the back door

-If it is a hybrid (I'm not good with bus names) where the doors close very slowly.

Why don't they just set all of the buses up so that the back doors open automatically when you touch the tape instead of leaving it as an option? This seems to be the norm in Manhattan, but not in the outer boroughs. In the outer boroughs its hit or miss. :(

On MTA NYCTA buses, the pressing of the tape should open the rear door, once the driver engages the rear doors to be opened. It can be deactivated, so that when you press the tape, it doesn't open. Then you will have to push it open. There is a toggle switch by the driver, to open the rear doors automatically. I use to do it, when someone was getting off with alot of stuff in their hands, or children. Some drivers know how to deactivate the automatic opening, when someone touches the yellow tape, some don't. It resets when the bus is turned off, then back on. Drivers do it, so they don't waste time, waiting for the doors to close, as it takes a year and a day, when someone touches the tape. Last week I rode on a Bee-Line Bus, on the 2 (W2 as city people call it). The doors are fully driver controlled, and close fast. IIRC, the NovaBus LFS doors are fully driver controlled also. This should become the norm for MTA, and bus manufacturers should make it the norm, and not an option. But then again, I understand the amount of people MTA buses get, and they are afraid the driver will slam someone in the rear door .

\

-If it is a hybrid (I'm not good with bus names) where the doors close very slowly.

the hybrids are Orion VII NG HEV and they are very slow but the driver has a switch on his left that can override the door which makes it much quicker ( most drivers i kno just use the Override

but also if u mean the Orion V's doors slam on you when you are leaving it could be the PSI is set to high for the door's

Archived