MTA: Long Island Bus faces deepest cuts

Amtrak7

The 100,000 daily riders of Long Island Bus will face the most drastic service cuts in the Nassau bus system's nearly 40-year history this spring barring an unforeseen financial rescue, MTA officials said Thursday.

Without the additional $26 million the Metropolitan Transportation Authority says is needed to keep existing bus service, sweeping cuts dwarfing anything the system's riders have ever seen are increasingly likely, agency officials and transit experts said.

The MTA, which this year withdrew its financial support of LI Bus, is working on plans to stretch what's left of Nassau County's $9-million contribution to the $140-million budget over the remainder of 2011, officials said.

Lynch noted that the deepest cuts in the history of LI Bus - the elimination last year of 11 entire bus lines and reductions of many more - saved the MTA just $2 million. This time around, the MTA would be looking to save 13 times as much.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/mta-long-island-bus-faces-deepest-cuts-1.2695775

According to ENY, MTA wants to keep LIB. However, that LIB 4-8 months from now may be a shadow of its former self...

Bad news for us in eastern Nassau, since it's the lowest ridership area and most likely to be cut. I predict that only the N4, N6, and N40/41 will retain weekend service, and only the 10 most efficient routes will remain.

Cheapest 10: N40/41, N6, N35, N4, N31/32, N48/49, N43, N16, N22, N15

N20/21 is busy, but expensive because of length. May live, but with deep cuts.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MTA LI Bus:

(13)Paratransit Transportation Coordinators total $$ in salaries: 1.1 million (does not include benefits.)

(42) Dispatchers total salaries (not including benefits) $3.5 million

(5) Directors salaries totaling $501,000.00 (not including benefits)

(11) Operations Associates

(4) Supervisor titles

The list goes on and on for a total of 375 managers/supervisors overseeing 841 employees (bus operators, paratransit operators, mechanics)

So one supervisor for every 2 employees. Anybody wonder why they broke?

MTA LI Bus:

(13)Paratransit Transportation Coordinators total $$ in salaries: 1.1 million (does not include benefits.)

(42) Dispatchers total salaries (not including benefits) $3.5 million

(5) Directors salaries totaling $501,000.00 (not including benefits)

(11) Operations Associates

(4) Supervisor titles

The list goes on and on for a total of 375 managers/supervisors overseeing 841 employees (bus operators, paratransit operators, mechanics)

So one supervisor for every 2 employees. Anybody wonder why they broke?

With that kind of oversight you'd think the service would be better.....

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/mta-long-island-bus-faces-deepest-cuts-1.2695775

According to ENY, MTA wants to keep LIB. However, that LIB 4-8 months from now may be a shadow of its former self...

Bad news for us in eastern Nassau, since it's the lowest ridership area and most likely to be cut. I predict that only the N4, N6, and N40/41 will retain weekend service, and only the 10 most efficient routes will remain.

The N20/N21 might be able to be replaced by some Q12 buses extended to Great Neck (which was a plan a few years ago)

The N20/N21 might be able to be replaced by some Q12 buses extended to Great Neck (which was a plan a few years ago)

Great Neck isn't enough. It needs to go to at least Roslyn Clock Tower.

Any other speculative comments about what a skeletal LI Bus system might include?

Here is a post at Cap'n Transit (I actually wrote that post), that shows the farebox recovery ratios of the LI Bus system (before the service reductions).

http://capntransit.blogspot.com/2010/08/farebox-data-for-long-island-bus.html

Basically, everything with a farebox recovery ratio below 50% is indanger of being eliminated. The MTA might make an exception for some high volume routes, such as:

The N20/N21: Replaced by some Q12 buses extended further up the route (I guess to the Roslyn Clock Tower)

N25: Retained with reduced service during rush hours

N55: Retained weekdays only

N79: Retained east of Hicksville

(I don't know how I forgot the N78. It was probably grouped with the N79 anyway)

These aren't based on experience or any type of bias towards certain parts of Long Island. I'm just speculating as to which routes the MTA might keep and why.

With that kind of oversight you'd think the service would be better.....

haha....

With that kind of oversight, you know those supervisors aint doin s**t....

that ~ 1:2 ratio Hawk operator brought up... look at it like, a classroom of 30 students... that would mean 15 teachers....

15 teachers aren't gonna whole-heartedly dedicate & give their all - to two kids, in one class... good chance it comes down to a point where it'd only be like 2 - 4 (tops) doin all the work, with the rest of the teachers either goofing off, galavanting, or worse, not even showing up.... all, while still collecting a paycheck...

you'd think boosting someone's salary (especially when we're talking 6 figures & up) would be directly proportional to someone's increase in work ethic...

^^ all I have to say to that is L-O-f***ing-L !

(I'm actually laughing as I type that)

all it means is that person obtains more important responsibilities.... it becomes indirectly proportional as to if those responsibilities/tasks are even done correctly/accurately....

Here is a post at Cap'n Transit (I actually wrote that post), that shows the farebox recovery ratios of the LI Bus system (before the service reductions).

http://capntransit.blogspot.com/2010/08/farebox-data-for-long-island-bus.html

Basically, everything with a farebox recovery ratio below 50% is indanger of being eliminated. The MTA might make an exception for some high volume routes, such as:

The N20/N21: Replaced by some Q12 buses extended further up the route (I guess to the Roslyn Clock Tower)

N25: Retained with reduced service during rush hours

N55: Retained weekdays only

N79: Retained east of Hicksville

(I don't know how I forgot the N78. It was probably grouped with the N79 anyway)

These aren't based on experience or any type of bias towards certain parts of Long Island. I'm just speculating as to which routes the MTA might keep and why.

EAST of Hicksville? Are you just trying to satisfy me? :(:eek:

Probably the primary east-west routes (N4 and N6) and a few north-south routes.

I think JAzumah said one RFP said the NG CNGs are staying in Nassau, so you foamers can stop with that goddamned "sell them to MTA Bus" crap.

Yep, Nassau plans to keep the NGs, but they aren't sure about the fareboxes. They have asked vendors to propose another fare collection system or negotiate with the MTA to retain access to the MetroCard. Nassau also stated that the vendor was not to expect more than the $9M subsidy that the MTA would get. You can safely assume that if the MTA is cutting part of their subsidy, NYSDOT may also take back some of their money too. It is possible to run LIB with $17M fewer dollars by the private sector, but the service will look different.

Yeah, is was only a matter of time before the drastic cuts came along though. Especially after Cuomo said he was going to cut funds from the TA. True they may want to keep LIB, but if Nassau doesn't want to do their part, Walder isn't isnt going to continue to let the division drag down the rest of the TA in the process. How long will this continue before it's time to start making cuts again, or raised fares. LIB is part of the reason we had so many cuts last year ass it's is. It's time to start making cuts from the top. Period

After that, if Nassau still claims they can't afford to pay up, then it's time to let LIB go once and for all. This would be the worst thing ever, and LI riders should be gravely affected. Yet, if if things don't change, LIB is going to bring the TA down.

Exactly: this is all on Nassau. They refuse to pay their share, so why should the rest of us bail them out? I say let LIB fall [make Nassau either pay for those 1700s or the MTA should take them and give them to MTA Bus]. No sense in lettling Nassau be the reason more city routes have to be cut because Nassau refuses to be deadbeats.

I guess the political leaders in Nassau County plan the following to almost 'bare naked' lol LI Buses.

1)Pay for those who can't afford a car a taxi or limo service.:(

2)The car owners in LI must want to talk on their cell phone being stuck on the LIE or Northern State 24/7.:eek:

3)The LIRR on many of it's branches will be SRO bubble bee tuna canned style like the Lex Ave line 24/7.:cool:

4)Meanwhile LI Bus can have all of superviors (the remaining 100 of them) be a 'boss' to the remaining 10 Bus Drivers and maintence staff left on the job.:cool:

They refuse to pay their share, so why should the rest of us bail them out?

Last time I checked I paid an additional $50. MTA tax on my auto registration, additional MTA tax on my business, MTA tax on my phone, etc. Everyone is paying their fair share and beyond. The MTA is a bloated agency that is not acountable to anyone. I applaud Nassau County for refusing to pay more into a system that is already paid for with taxes.

Last time I checked I paid an additional $50. MTA tax on my auto registration, additional MTA tax on my business, MTA tax on my phone, etc. Everyone is paying their fair share and beyond. The MTA is a bloated agency that is not acountable to anyone. I applaud Nassau County for refusing to pay more into a system that is already paid for with taxes.

True. However every county in the (MTA) region still pays at or close to their 'fair share' as well. So should Nassau.

You do however Hawk bring up an excellent case of how the (MTA) is out of control with their expensives.

Hawk Operator most people aren't like you and I they get a Cell phone bill and just look at what the owe and throw it to the side with out scrutinizing it little do they know there is an MTA tax on that bill they also get a portion of the gas tax most people can believe what they want im glad there are people like Greg Mocker how in the hell do you say you have no money then turn around and award million dollar contracts it makes no sense and it's a slap in the face the (MTA) should not be a Public Authority because they cannot be trusted that's what's wrong when you give people the power to police them selves there is no accountability they remind me of the Rent Guideline Board what a sham

Looking at the original post and then checkmatechamp13's post, some things jump out:

1. Why is the N19 at 30-minute headways? That's a route that should be at hourly headways only, with a truncation to Sunrise Mall and an interline with N71 (N19 buses would leave at :15 past the hour and change into an N71 at Sunrise Mall). On the N70/71/72 departures, N70 and N71 departure times would be swapped on weekdays, and N71 and N72 departures swapped on weekends.

2. Save money on the N72 by eliminating service east of Airport Plaza in Farmingdale (and negotiate with management for buses to serve the plaza at Conklin and 110). I say eliminate, not reduce, because it would leave way too much layover time at Babylon for N72s that would continue to there.

3. The N20/1 issue is really a problem, as the N20 is the only service to three colleges along the North Shore of Long Island. My solution there would be to discontinue Sunday N20 service east of the Roslyn Clock Tower on Sundays, and run service every 2 hours on weekends east of the Clock Tower (LIU C.W. Post is going to have to do more for its student transportation to and from Hicksville on weekends). N48/49 service would run as far north as Jericho Turnpike on weekends.

4. The N27 is also a big problem, and I'm not sure how this can be fixed, although I would probably eliminate Sunday service and send the N15 on Sundays via Westbury Boulevard.

5. Likewise for the N25 and N26, this route can't really be fixed without a Q46 extension on weekdays to Great Neck of select runs. On weekends, it is interlined with the N58.

6. All of the other routes below 50 percent recovery should be run with cutaways using contractors, except the N79. The N79 though should probably have select runs truncated to Roosevelt Field Mall on the west end, as there is adequate N22 and N24 service to Mineola.

Archived