MTA: Long Island Bus faces deepest cuts

Amtrak7

SubChat user "Manwithaplan" posted this:

The MTA wants to make LI Bus, the Queens North Division of the MTA's Bus network. This on paper as of today. The MTA is considering the operation of LI Bus as a 5 day operation. Because of possible service cuts for LI Bus, some of the new CNG 1800 series buses that have not yet been delivered from Orion, might be assigned to MTA Bus. More later.

I don't know if this is true, but if it is, ENY should know!

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long Islanders & Staten Islanders are alike in many ways. They drive exactly the same way for starters (along with some North Jersey folks). The Staten Islanders riding the express bus would be LIRR users in Long Island. The Long Islanders wish they rode Metro-North because they feel it is run better. The Metro-North riders are getting taxed to the bone and aren't thrilled about it. Most of the Dutchess riders have never seen a Dutchess local bus. The NJT trains keep yanking down wires or being blocked by Amtraks that do.

There isn't any happiness anywhere until South Jersey and their sweet corn.

Staten Island has more local buses than Nassau County, but Nassau County is bigger. However, Staten Island politicians aren't big fans of SI growth and they have been doing everything to stunt the growth they don't want. This means that they are generally happy with thin local bus service, but they are always clamoring for more expresses. The same thing has occurred in Nassau County on a more extreme level. The LIRR supports the growth they (the politicians) want in most places, but Long Island Bus does not. Both places grudgingly acknowledge that if local bus service doesn't exist, traffic could be a problem. The poor can buy $1000 and $1500 cars and those cars will get them to and from work every day. However, an additional 25,000-30,000 cars on 20 or 30 major roads would make travel unbearable.

Nassau County (the residents) has got a very serious problem on their hands.

Long Islanders & Staten Islanders are alike in many ways. They drive exactly the same way for starters (along with some North Jersey folks). The Staten Islanders riding the express bus would be LIRR users in Long Island. The Long Islanders wish they rode Metro-North because they feel it is run better. The Metro-North riders are getting taxed to the bone and aren't thrilled about it. Most of the Dutchess riders have never seen a Dutchess local bus. The NJT trains keep yanking down wires or being blocked by Amtraks that do.

Staten Island has more local buses than Nassau County, but Nassau County is bigger. However, Staten Island politicians aren't big fans of SI growth and they have been doing everything to stunt the growth they don't want. This means that they are generally happy with thin local bus service, but they are always clamoring for more expresses. The same thing has occurred in Nassau County on a more extreme level. The LIRR supports the growth they (the politicians) want in most places, but Long Island Bus does not. Both places grudgingly acknowledge that if local bus service doesn't exist, traffic could be a problem. The poor can buy $1000 and $1500 cars and those cars will get them to and from work every day. However, an additional 25,000-30,000 cars on 20 or 30 major roads would make travel unbearable.

And yes we do clamour for more express bus service on Staten Island as some of the "rush hour" only express buses should be expanded past 18:30 in the evenings. As an express bus rider, I have written to several representatives pushing for expanded express bus service and have been actively doing so since Vito Fossella was in office and we got the HOV lanes extended on the Gowanus.

However, I also understand the importance and the NEED for more local bus service for Staten Island, despite what checkmate says. We are underserved overall as the population continues to grow here and the roads are becoming more and more congested and unbearable. While there are plans to widen some roads, most of the narrow meandering roads will remain for years to come, so there won't be much relief in terms of infrastructure improvements in the near future, with the exception of a few artieries like Clove Rd by Howard Ave.

The short term solution MUST be to expand bus service, particularly through finally offering some sort of modified limited stop service outside of rush hours both ways on the most demanding routes like the S48, S53 and S46 for starters. The S79 will have SBS soon assuming that it isn't blocked by the local representatives here on the island.

But over here, as much as we are taxed for the LIRR (if we are), we pay for it because we know people especially from places like Manhasset or Garden City, both of whom have LIRR stations ride the LIRR daily to work. On the other hand, most of LIB's ridership outside of college students is mostly people who cannot afford a car or the upkeep. Sure, a grand will buy some cheap beater, but what about gas or insurance? Not every old car is good on gas and all that and not every car that is good with gas and cheap to maintain is old.

NCC is right around the corner from Mitchel Field depot, and as such all the routes that run through campus come from there. Just about half of the 24,000 student body, myself included, ride the bus to and from campus every day, from the crack of dawn to the darkest hours of the night. Sure, recent expenditures like the Mineola Intermodal Center and the NGs are something, but it's not enough. I don't know what it was like 20 years ago, but I think 20 years ago it still had some mainstream ridership, much more than it has today. Mangano, as a user on BusChat typed up, is putting a loaded gun to his head. I don't want to know who pulls the trigger and completely ruins it for everyone.

If they had the express buses link up w/the local buses. I think the X1s and (S53)s link up because both run so frequently, but that's the only express bus local bus combo that seems to work pretty good.

Again, communication is key.

This reminds me of what happened today at St. George. Apparently, there was some sort of boat fire between Broadway and Clove Road, and the buses couldn't get by. Why they couldn't run a bus parked in the terminal as an S40 to at least attempt to relieve the crowding (and reroute it so it avoids Richmond Terrace) is beyond me. Instead, they told everybody to find an alternate route AFTER the other buses had left.

I ended up avoiding the whole mess and just taking the S92 home (I had intended to take the S90 to the movie theater on Forest Avenue)

To be fair, the higher ridership lines like the N4, N6, N15, and N40/N41 are where most of the poorer people live along, and these routes are the routes most likely to remain (though they may suffer some cuts as well). The people who can't afford cars aren't going to live near the routes with 60 minute headways.

And yes we do clamour for more express bus service on Staten Island as some of the "rush hour" only express buses should be expanded past 18:30 in the evenings. As an express bus rider, I have written to several representatives pushing for expanded express bus service and have been actively doing so since Vito Fossella was in office and we got the HOV lanes extended on the Gowanus.

However, I also understand the importance and the NEED for more local bus service for Staten Island, despite what checkmate says. We are underserved overall as the population continues to grow here and the roads are becoming more and more congested and unbearable. While there are plans to widen some roads, most of the narrow meandering roads will remain for years to come, so there won't be much relief in terms of infrastructure improvements in the near future, with the exception of a few artieries like Clove Rd by Howard Ave.

The short term solution MUST be to expand bus service, particularly through finally offering some sort of modified limited stop service outside of rush hours both ways on the most demanding routes like the S48, S53 and S46 for starters. The S79 will have SBS soon assuming that it isn't blocked by the local representatives here on the island.

As a regular local bus rider, all I can say is that there are many corridors with plenty of capacity to spare. Even along the North Shore routes like the S46/S96, I've seen plenty of buses without any standees in the heart of rush hour.

But over here, as much as we are taxed for the LIRR (if we are), we pay for it because we know people especially from places like Manhasset or Garden City, both of whom have LIRR stations ride the LIRR daily to work. On the other hand, most of LIB's ridership outside of college students is mostly people who cannot afford a car or the upkeep. Sure, a grand will buy some cheap beater, but what about gas or insurance? Not every old car is good on gas and all that and not every car that is good with gas and cheap to maintain is old.

NCC is right around the corner from Mitchel Field depot, and as such all the routes that run through campus come from there. Just about half of the 24,000 student body, myself included, ride the bus to and from campus every day, from the crack of dawn to the darkest hours of the night. Sure, recent expenditures like the Mineola Intermodal Center and the NGs are something, but it's not enough. I don't know what it was like 20 years ago, but I think 20 years ago it still had some mainstream ridership, much more than it has today. Mangano, as a user on BusChat typed up, is putting a loaded gun to his head. I don't want to know who pulls the trigger and completely ruins it for everyone.

I'm sure that there are still some left along the frequent lines, but you're right that many lines have service that is too infrequent to be depended upon by anybody other than the poor.

All the RFPs point to the NGs (1700-1839) staying in Nassau, for the last time. **** that crap that guy is posting. He's wrong.

dude let me break it down

1700-1799 is both owned by nassau county and mta but mainly nassau county , i read in a newsday article that the first bacth was purchaced by nassau and the option order ones 1760-99 are purchaced by the mta.

as for the 1800s they are mta`s buses and yes if they did do something those buses are coming to the city

and just to let you know that guy on subchat is very reliable soruce he mentioned something that i thougt it was a lie actuly came true

SubChat user "Manwithaplan" posted this

The MTA wants to make LI Bus, the Queens North Division of the MTA's Bus network. This on paper as of today. The MTA is considering the operation of LI Bus as a 5 day operation. Because of possible service cuts for LI Bus, some of the new CNG 1800 series buses that have not yet been delivered from Orion, might be assigned to MTA Bus. More later.

I don't know if this is true, but if it is, ENY should know!

I was told LIB would be East Queens (Nassau) Division, with Mitchell Field as HQ. There is a lot of speculation about all things LIB. Delivey of the 1800's is about to wrap up. Those were paid for with Fed money and will likely stay at LIB. The 1700's will likely stay there as well because they are needed. If cuts have to be made, the LI Orions 5's will be stored and or retired. As I have said before, MTA is going to continued the integration of LIB and MTAB into the "TA Way." Until MTA can no longer afford to operate LIB, the "surface merger" will continue.

dude let me break it down

1700-1799 is both owned by nassau county and mta but mainly nassau county , i read in a newsday article that the first bacth was purchaced by nassau and the option order ones 1760-99 are purchaced by the mta.

as for the 1800s they are mta`s buses and yes if they did do something those buses are coming to the city

and just to let you know that guy on subchat is very reliable soruce he mentioned something that i thougt it was a lie actuly came true

True the 1800's are MTA property, but they were purchased with federal dollars for exclusive Nassau County use. So that one is tricky.

Again, communication is key.

This reminds me of what happened today at St. George. Apparently, there was some sort of boat fire between Broadway and Clove Road, and the buses couldn't get by. Why they couldn't run a bus parked in the terminal as an S40 to at least attempt to relieve the crowding (and reroute it so it avoids Richmond Terrace) is beyond me. Instead, they told everybody to find an alternate route AFTER the other buses had left.

I ended up avoiding the whole mess and just taking the S92 home (I had intended to take the S90 to the movie theater on Forest Avenue)

To be fair, the higher ridership lines like the N4, N6, N15, and N40/N41 are where most of the poorer people live along, and these routes are the routes most likely to remain (though they may suffer some cuts as well). The people who can't afford cars aren't going to live near the routes with 60 minute headways.

As a regular local bus rider, all I can say is that there are many corridors with plenty of capacity to spare. Even along the North Shore routes like the S46/S96, I've seen plenty of buses without any standees in the heart of rush hour.

I'm sure that there are still some left along the frequent lines, but you're right that many lines have service that is too infrequent to be depended upon by anybody other than the poor.

Another reason I stopped taking the Ferry to the local bus. Sometimes the drivers won't or the bus will break down or whatever and then they tell you at the last minute that such and such bus won't be showing up. By then you've got to haul @ss to try to go to another terminal or catch another bus assuming that they haven't left, otherwise it is another 30 minute wait in most cases and I don't find that terminal a great place to wait between buses... Tonight I did the X12 to the S54. I kept going back and forth between just getting car service, but the bus makes no stops, so that's what makes it so tempting. It's like free car service. lol It actually came on time and we did not stop until I got off near Forest Ave. This is why I think it's a great idea that they're implementing tracking on all SI buses. If you're going to run such infrequent service, at least let folks be able to see if the bus came or not, rather than waiting there frustrated wondering if anything will ever come. I'm going to PM you to ask you more about the whole tracking thing because I see how great this could be if it works the way I think it will. :cool:

There is a big difference here... LIBus may lose its service because Nassau County doesn't want to pay up and considering what Nassau County should be paying that $40 million could help out substantially on Staten Island OR any of the other boroughs for that matter. Long Island only looks to NYC when it benefits them. Folks have talked about elitists, just go to Long Island and you'll see some snobs. The reason they get such "sympathy" is because they're considered to be well off out there for the most part and meanwhile we're just looked at as the borough "over there" with the garbage dump (which by the way is no more) so we don't need anything here. That's all it is period, plain and simple, so no I don't feel sorry for them at all.

I think your view of transportation services on Staten Island is a rather narrow one because you're not traveling off of the island much and not traveling yet to get to work or school off of the island. When you do however, I think your view may change a bit.

I've read and re-read this post and the whole thread for a while now and keep seeing that word "elitists" and it stuck with me. The generation before mine looked upon parts of Nassau County AND Staten Island as people trying to avoid the problems associated with NYC, with all it implies. Crime, schools, public transportation, etc. Robert Moses feasted upon the disconnect and built an empire around it. Think of the guidelines for building the VZ bridge or Southern Parkway. It now appears that Queens East ( Nassau) and Brooklyn West ( Richmond) are arguing FOR the public transportation alternatives their ancestors tried to do without for so long. IMO the Richmond residents have the better case for public money and support but in either case there are still people in the NYC who think more of the tourists at LGA than the plight of Nassau or Richmond commuters. I'm not one of them, though, so I'd like to see something worked out so the working classes don't get shafted . Unfortunately the Nassau County Executive and legislature don't seem to give a damn at the moment and the Governor doesn't seem to be saying the right thing. It's a screwed up situation but I love the irony of it.BTW what's happening to the $$$ from the MTA tax? Can it be used as operating funds?

I think Staten Island is more supportive of local transit expansions than Nassau County because it has more people who don't own cars.

http://www.tstc.org/reports/cpsheets/Staten%20Island_factsheet.pdf

http://www.tstc.org/reports/cpsheets/Nassau_factsheet.pdf

As you can see, roughly 18.4% of all Staten Island households don't own a car, compared to only 7.7% of all Nassau County households. Basically, this means Staten Island has twice as much support for expansions of the local bus system than Nassau County, and twice as much ridership to support its services (though Nassau County services see some ridership from reverse-commuters coming from Queens)

Another reason I stopped taking the Ferry to the local bus. Sometimes the drivers won't or the bus will break down or whatever and then they tell you at the last minute that such and such bus won't be showing up. By then you've got to haul @ss to try to go to another terminal or catch another bus assuming that they haven't left, otherwise it is another 30 minute wait in most cases and I don't find that terminal a great place to wait between buses... Tonight I did the X12 to the S54. I kept going back and forth between just getting car service, but the bus makes no stops, so that's what makes it so tempting. It's like free car service. lol It actually came on time and we did not stop until I got off near Forest Ave. This is why I think it's a great idea that they're implementing tracking on all SI buses. If you're going to run such infrequent service, at least let folks be able to see if the bus came or not, rather than waiting there frustrated wondering if anything will ever come. I'm going to PM you to ask you more about the whole tracking thing because I see how great this could be if it works the way I think it will. :cool:

If I decide to go to school in Manhattan, or end up getting a job there and decide to stay on Staten Island, I'll probably end up just buying an Express Bus Plus MetroCard (assuming they don't eliminate it due to budget reductions or anything). They're great value in the sense that they pay for themselves after just a regular 5 day workweek (10 trips per week), and any additional trips are free, so some trips that I would view as unnecessary (such walking about a mile to ShopRite to get good deals, rather than taking the S44 or S59) I wouldn't have to think twice about.

You do have a point about the S54. If a bus runs that infrequently, it is important to know when it is going to come, so you can arrange for another form of transportation home (another bus route, car service, lift from a friend, etc). Here on Richmond Avenue, I really don't have that problem-I just walk outside and hope a bus will be along shortly.

Many of us wouldn't mind a fare being re-instated on the Ferry. It should be free only to island residents. The ferry is used a ton by tourists and I for one think that they should pay. If they're going to run here then let them pay to come here. It's not like they can afford it, esp. the Europeans. They have a great exchange rate now anyway with the dollar being in the tanks and they come here to load up on electronics and sh*t because they cost so much more in Europe. The reason that it should be free for residents is because if it wasn't they could face another fare. However, I think if the DOT (they run the SI Ferry) and MTA got together, that could be worked out by way of an extra transfer. With the way those new boats break down, they'd be better off charging a fare and maybe then they'd be more reliable, as they'd have more money to fix them quicker instead having to send them down to Virigina or wherever they send them to be repaired because it is cheaper there. That's another reason I switched to the express bus. It's a free ride, sure, but when they break down, you're basically sh*t out of luck and stuck waiting there for another 20-30 minutes or even more depending on when it happens.

Don't you mean New Yorkers.

Slightly little off-topic, don't weekday PM Rush Hour getting more crowded on Staten Island Ferry after service cut they made on X13, X16, X18, X20 with mix of NY residents working on both side of Staten Island and Other Boroughs.

I did observing most weekday Staten Island Ferry are running late two-four minutes, sometimes five minute behind schedule.

Don't you mean New Yorkers.

It should be free for Island residents only. The other boroughs don't have to pay to use their car if they want to go into another borough, so why should we when we travel via car off of Staten Island to another borough? Therefore I would propose that since we have to pay to go to another borough via car, then so should folks coming to Staten Island, even coming via the SI Ferry.

I think that's a fair compromise and then maybe when we complain about overtaxation w/out representation, the other boroughs could see how ridiculous the whole thing is. I know Broad Channel certainly understands. Why in the world should they be forced to pay a toll just to leave their neighborhood to go to another part of Queens? Totally absurd. :tdown:

He'd love to divert every MTA dollar to SI because he hates the subway and the other boroughs (in the same way the other boroughs hate SI) and every bridge that doesn't touch NJ.

I don't hate the other boroughs at all, esp. being from Southern Brooklyn. What I advocate for is for Staten Islanders to get our fair share just like the other boroughs, simple as that. We pay taxes just like the other boroughs. Just because we're on an island doesn't mean that we don't need adequate transportation like the other boroughs and other general services which I won't go into since this is about transit.

As far as the subway goes, I don't hate the subway at all. As I've said several times, I use the subway daily and without the subway the city couldn't function. What I hate is how the MTA neglects the subway, which is a completely different thing and is not entirely their fault, but they do hold a big part of the blame. I think it's a poor excuse to say that because the system is so big that that's the reason why we can't have clean stations and stations that aren't in disrepair just a few years after being rehabed. And that nonsense about because it's up and running 24 hours is also another poor excuse. When you think about it, for what folks get, I think MetroNorth, the subway and the LIRR are all overpriced.

My honest opinion is that we should have not only the largest subway system, but the most up-to-date, modern one around. It's a question of where the money is going at the MTA and how is it being spent. I'd much rather have a clean station than one with rats running around with sh*t spilled all over the place, but meanwhile there's wonderful nice mosaics to look at. I mean where are the priorities?? Get the basics down first and then we can talk about the fancy stuff.

Slightly little off-topic, don't weekday PM Rush Hour getting more crowded on Staten Island Ferry after service cut they made on X13, X16, X18, X20 with mix of NY residents working on both side of Staten Island and Other Boroughs.

I did observing most weekday Staten Island Ferry are running late two-four minutes, sometimes five minute behind schedule.

The MTA says, yeah just take the ferry and since those new ferries have been purchased it's been a real headache. They constantly have to be serviced, so the 20 minute schedule during the rush hour can quickly become 30 - 45 minutes depending on how many boats are out and we still have hourly service on the weekends after 19:00 I believe, which is insane. So yeah, when it takes me 2 hours to get from West Brighton to Manhattan there's a serious problem and that's why we were so up in arms about the X16 in particular being eliminated.

So yeah, I say put a fee back on the SI Ferry and charge tourists more to ride it. I mean they're seeing famous sights for free and the DOT can barely keep the boats running. There is something terribly wrong with that.

It should be free for Island residents only. The other boroughs don't have to pay to use their car if they want to go into another borough, so why should we when we travel via car off of Staten Island to another borough? Therefore I would propose that since we have to pay to go to another borough via car, then so should folks coming to Staten Island, even coming via the SI Ferry.

I think that's a fair compromise and then maybe when we complain about overtaxation w/out representation, the other boroughs could see how ridiculous the whole thing is. I know Broad Channel certainly understands. Why in the world should they be forced to pay a toll just to leave their neighborhood to go to another part of Queens? Totally absurd. :tdown:

More people in the other boroughs don't own a car (I have stats to back this up, but it is common knowledge) and therefore must use public transportation to get around, which charges fares.

A person from The Bronx, or even any part of Manhattan that isn't near Whitehall Street is going to have to pay a bus or subway fare to access the Staten Island Ferry.

I'll agree with charging tourists, though. $1 or so isn't going to turn them off from riding the ferry, especially considering that there is a more expensive ferry that goes to the Statue of Liberty, and the SI Ferry would still pass by it at a much cheaper fare.

More people in the other boroughs don't own a car (I have stats to back this up, but it is common knowledge) and therefore must use public transportation to get around, which charges fares.

A person from The Bronx, or even any part of Manhattan that isn't near Whitehall Street is going to have to pay a bus or subway fare to access the Staten Island Ferry.

I'll agree with charging tourists, though. $1 or so isn't going to turn them off from riding the ferry, especially considering that there is a more expensive ferry that goes to the Statue of Liberty, and the SI Ferry would still pass by it at a much cheaper fare.

They can escape the charge by using the S53 or S79...

Yeah, with all of the tourists that ride, that could help a lot financially and also perhaps help to pay for added service, particularly on weekends.

The other boroughs don't have to pay to use their car if they want to go into another borough, so why should we when we travel via car off of Staten Island to another borough?

If the other boroughs have it oh-so-good and SI has it oh-so-bad, then move to, say, Brooklyn (where you have your barber or something). You chose to move to SI, then you should bear the consequences.

And please, spare me the flaming. If you don't like it, MOVE. Nobody is forcefully holding you in SI.:tdown:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AlGvV8zOxI2SdHByVzFPN3Q3WUxNcmhwYkJHTW4yNFE&hl=en&authkey=CPm-3eUF

The MTA data for LIB, as well as some derived values based on it. The service changes listed in the book (N14 midday, N88 evening, N2/N1/N23 extensions/streamlining) have been incorporated, the N25/N26 streamlining is NOT reflected, nor any other ridership/schedule changes resulting from the service cuts.

There is an error in the MTA page, for those who still have it: N22 Saturday has 70 trips, not 25.

Assumed 241 weekdays, 55 Saturdays, 58 Sundays a year (2009). N88 based on 2010 operating days.

I meant about SIF.

I go to Staten Island as to try out buses sometimes, so I don't like to paid because it not easy for me.

I know how Staten Islanders feel about Verrazaro Narrows Bridge while they Rockaways Commuties in Queens feel same way.

When I went to Queens Public hearing twice, before 6/28 Service Cut, and before Doomsday Budget Cris, I remember commuties and council(wo)men) was fighting against Rockaway Rebate program that let the drivers travel at Cross Bay Ridge for discount fare.

Broad Channel of Rockaway communities does not have hospital, so right now, they have to paid to get to hospital, school in the main Rockaway inlet, which both is part of Rockaway neighborhoods.

Back to topic, N88 bus should not be cut because Jones Beach goers will be stranded unless Jones Beach buy N88 bus to keep service available. Jones Beach also has theater, so bus should not be cut.

I remember last time I took N88 bus was before N87 was discontinued and when I got back to Freeport Station, there was many beach goers waiting for N88 bus, almost like waiting for combination of waiting to get ticket for Statue of Liberty, then CircleLine to Ellis/Liberty Islands at Battery Park.

I meant about SIF.

I go to Staten Island as to try out buses sometimes, so I don't like to paid because it not easy for me.

I know how Staten Islanders feel about Verrazaro Narrows Bridge while they Rockaways Commuties in Queens feel same way.

When I went to Queens Public hearing twice, before 6/28 Service Cut, and before Doomsday Budget Cris, I remember commuties and council(wo)men) was fighting against Rockaway Rebate program that let the drivers travel at Cross Bay Ridge for discount fare.

Broad Channel of Rockaway communities does not have hospital, so right now, they have to paid to get to hospital, school in the main Rockaway inlet, which both is part of Rockaway neighborhoods.

It's the same deal with us too more or less. The only difference is that we have to pay to get off Staten Island and they have to pay to get out of their neighborhood. Sure they have the (A) train, just like we have the ferry, but those means of transportation aren't always the best choice for folks to use.

Regarding the SI Ferry, perhaps they could charge tourists and those without a Metrocard. If you have a Metrocard and can show that you're a NYC resident, then you can get a free transfer.

The 1700's will likely stay there as well because they are needed. If cuts have to be made, the LI Orions 5's will be stored and or retired. As I have said before, MTA is going to continued the integration of LIB and MTAB into the "TA Way." Until MTA can no longer afford to operate LIB, the "surface merger" will continue.

Noooooooo:(

Especially a noo for 1633-1699!

Long Island Bus deserves soo much better seriously

for years it has been getting the short end of the stick when it comes

to the service. Long Island in general (Nassau, Suffolk counties) need their own Transit Authority because the MTA has enough on their plate to handle.

It's just getting out of hand at this point with the money situation and the back and forth arguements between Nassau/The MTA.

It's the same deal with us too more or less. The only difference is that we have to pay to get off Staten Island and they have to pay to get out of their neighborhood. Sure they have the (A) train, just like we have the ferry, but those means of transportation aren't always the best choice for folks to use.

Regarding the SI Ferry, perhaps they could charge tourists and those without a Metrocard. If you have a Metrocard and can show that you're a NYC resident, then you can get a free transfer.

But that is a big difference. We don't have to pay a toll to go to the supermarket or school or whatever, whereas they do.

BTW charging people who only use the ferry (rather than those using it to connect to another service) would be fair, rather than just charging all non-SI residents.

Archived