MTA: Long Island Bus faces deepest cuts

Amtrak7

It's the same deal with us too more or less. The only difference is that we have to pay to get off Staten Island and they have to pay to get out of their neighborhood. Sure they have the (A) train, just like we have the ferry, but those means of transportation aren't always the best choice for folks to use.

Regarding the SI Ferry, perhaps they could charge tourists and those without a Metrocard. If you have a Metrocard and can show that you're a NYC resident, then you can get a free transfer.

Coalition building is important...and something your politicians are terrible at when it comes to meeting Staten Island's needs. If you exclude Staten Islanders only from the new ferry fare, it will never get passed. Remember one city, one fare? You want to screw that up?

The Island should be encouraging tourists to come to SI and see Richmondtown and Snug Harbor and Fort Wadsworth and South Beach, not figuring out how to reach in their pockets. I am tired of that and this attitude is driving tourists away (believe it or not).

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Noooooooo:(

Especially a noo for 1633-1699!

Long Island Bus deserves soo much better seriously

for years it has been getting the short end of the stick when it comes

to the service. Long Island in general (Nassau, Suffolk counties) need their own Transit Authority because the MTA has enough on their plate to handle.

It's just getting out of hand at this point with the money situation and the back and forth arguements between Nassau/The MTA.

How would Nassau fund its portion? Suffolk residents will tell Nassau to drop dead before subsidizing their buses.

How would Nassau fund its portion? Suffolk residents will tell Nassau to drop dead before subsidizing their buses.

There are other ways. They are only saying they don't have the money to subsidize the service because they don't want to pay. Which is why we are in this situation right now.

Coalition building is important...and something your politicians are terrible at when it comes to meeting Staten Island's needs. If you exclude Staten Islanders only from the new ferry fare, it will never get passed. Remember one city, one fare? You want to screw that up?

The Island should be encouraging tourists to come to SI and see Richmondtown and Snug Harbor and Fort Wadsworth and South Beach, not figuring out how to reach in their pockets. I am tired of that and this attitude is driving tourists away (believe it or not).

If I could clone Vinny Ignizio, I would and I'm put him all over the island. He doesn't represent my district, but the guy works his @ss off for the folks on the South Shore. On the North Shore, we have Matthew Titone and Ms. Rose, both of whom couldn't even save the X16. B) Aside from that they're pretty worthless in general...

But getting back to the tourists thing, really, tourists DON'T want to see Staten Island! The take the ferry to see the sights, particularly the Statue of Liberty. You sound like the moron Molinaro with his endless plans to draw tourists off the ferries. A guy who would rather sink 700k in a fish tank for the ferry terminal than put that money to good use. Is it no wonder why in his years in office he still can't get the tourists off of the boat? LOL

As far as the one fare goes, the MTA already screwed that up w/the latest service cuts, so some people are already paying to two fares.

With regards to the tourists, they're going to keep coming. I work right on 5th Ave in Midtown and I see them everyday in groups, so they're not going anywhere. If they want to come here and we have to be inconvenienced, let them pay a little more. In the end it would be beneficial to everyone. Better transit, more jobs, etc. etc. :cool:

If I could clone Vinny Ignizio, I would and I'm put him all over the island. He doesn't represent my district, but the guy works his @ss off for the folks on the South Shore. On the North Shore, we have Matthew Titone and Ms. Rose, both of whom couldn't even save the X16. :) Aside from that they're pretty worthless in general...

But getting back to the tourists thing, really, tourists DON'T want to see Staten Island! The take the ferry to see the sights, particularly the Statue of Liberty. You sound like the moron Molinaro with his endless plans to draw tourists off the ferries. A guy who would rather sink 700k in a fish tank for the ferry terminal than put that money to good use. Is it no wonder why in his years in office he still can't get the tourists off of the boat? LOL

As far as the one fare goes, the MTA already screwed that up w/the latest service cuts, so some people are already paying to two fares.

With regards to the tourists, they're going to keep coming. I work right on 5th Ave in Midtown and I see them everyday in groups, so they're not going anywhere. If they want to come here and we have to be inconvenienced, let them pay a little more. In the end it would be beneficial to everyone. Better transit, more jobs, etc. etc. :cool:

South Beach is actually very nice. Not too crowded and cool people. Fort Wadsworth is a historical military installation that was an important part of protecting New York Harbor and the State of New York. Richmondtown and Snug Harbor highlight the old New York that we continue to trample under our feet. We as New Yorkers get accustomed to being awash in historical significance, but these sites are different to out of towners. Molinaro isn't promoting that, is he? This is because he cannot manufacture revenue from these sites for his use. There are a few people on Staten Island trying to run a tour from the ferry to a bunch of these sites.

If you ever compare me to Molinaro again, in the fish tank you go.

The X16 will eventually return in some form or fashion in the middle of the fuel spike we are about to see. The word on the street is that a barrel of oil is going to approach $200 within 9-12 months. I suspect that the current fuel spike will provide appropriate cover to raise the LIB fare to $3 and keep the system largely intact. When the cost of gas reaches $3.75/gallon, the economy is going to get a lot worse than it is now. There are going to be MANY new and "unlikely" riders in Nassau.

Actually, a tour company did run buses from St. George to some of the tourist attractions on SI (I forgot what the name of the company was, but it is the company that runs those red double-decker buses in Manhattan), but it abandoned the route. I'm surprised that it didn't get too many riders. For $15, you could hop on and off for the whole day.

The problem is that some of those attractions are too far out for tourists to be interested in them. Snug Harbor is only a 5-10 minute ride from St. George on the S40 or S44, but Historic Richmondtown is a good 45 minute trip on the S74.

I'm surprised no tour buses run from Manhattan to Staten Island. They could advertise it as "see the uncovered gems in the outer boroughs" or something to that effect.

I was riding the N4 yesterday from Freeport to Jamaica and the driver announced (after many ppl on the bus kept questioning/commenting like sheep whenever an N4 shows up late on Merrick Rd. "Why is the bus late, is this the X:xx bus, what happened to that one... OMG, blah blah blah") that "...this is it, the bus before me is a no go, the bus after me is a no go, and that's the way it's gunna be... It's not going to get any better..."

Usually these 3 buses leave minutes in between each in the AM... We usually pass one, maybe the one in front of that . Let all the suckers fight to get on the packed bus in freeport that the us I usually takes usually passes that one and gets into Jamaica first... Uh, I guess we'll all be suckers getting on the packed bus, making lots of stops... It looks like it will take longer to get to Jamaica in the morning and will be much more uncomfortable ride in the morning with less buses on that run.... :P

He was talking about Staten Island I believe in how we have decent service and such and how we can't just blow money on transit services in the suburbs to give us equal service that urban parts receive and I was saying in reference to Staten Island that it's not all about adding services per se. In some cases it's more about being more efficient w/the services (i.e. making connections actually work between buses). That sort of thing would help tremendously on some routes. That's actually where A LOT of time is spent by Staten Islanders.

express bus enhancement and fare reduction would solve that problem

The N20/N21 might be able to be replaced by some Q12 buses extended to Great Neck (which was a plan a few years ago)

impossible the Q12 is slow the n20 riders don't want to share with queens local riders and they are all full plus mta lib will probably interline N6 and the big lines onto the other rtes to avoid cuts as all of them make times links with LIRR I know I got off an express train at rush hour and saw 3 different bus rtes at massepequa!!!!!

impossible the Q12 is slow the n20 riders don't want to share with queens local riders and they are all full plus mta lib will probably interline N6 and the big lines onto the other rtes to avoid cuts as all of them make times links with LIRR I know I got off an express train at rush hour and saw 3 different bus rtes at massepequa!!!!!

Translation...?

I was riding the N4 yesterday from Freeport to Jamaica and the driver announced (after many ppl on the bus kept questioning/commenting like sheep whenever an N4 shows up late on Merrick Rd. "Why is the bus late, is this the X:xx bus, what happened to that one... OMG, blah blah blah") that "...this is it, the bus before me is a no go, the bus after me is a no go, and that's the way it's gunna be... It's not going to get any better..."

Usually these 3 buses leave minutes in between each in the AM... We usually pass one, maybe the one in front of that . Let all the suckers fight to get on the packed bus in freeport that the us I usually takes usually passes that one and gets into Jamaica first... Uh, I guess we'll all be suckers getting on the packed bus, making lots of stops... It looks like it will take longer to get to Jamaica in the morning and will be much more uncomfortable ride in the morning with less buses on that run.... :P

I hate it when people do that shit, and they know why the buses are late, Traffic in jamaica is the main blame, these people need to shut up.

Translation...?

having Q12 replace parts of N20 would slow down travel for many nassau travellers who don't want extra stops in queens therefore queens and nassau routes need to remain separate!!!! however the Q50 could be extended to provide limited stop service on northern blvd then replace the former Q79 then continue on tulip ave to replace the N2 and N8.

Translation...?

plus I meant routes like N6 can merge with N46, 54 and 55 to prevent cuts!!!!! also when you look at the schedule of many LIB routes then look at the LIRR schedules then compare like for example the N54/55 and 80/81 with that of the babylon line look at the times the trains reach massepequa and then look at the times the buses get to the massepequa station and you would notice that the LIB routes are timed to meet LIRR trains.

Actually, a tour company did run buses from St. George to some of the tourist attractions on SI (I forgot what the name of the company was, but it is the company that runs those red double-decker buses in Manhattan), but it abandoned the route. I'm surprised that it didn't get too many riders. For $15, you could hop on and off for the whole day.

The problem is that some of those attractions are too far out for tourists to be interested in them. Snug Harbor is only a 5-10 minute ride from St. George on the S40 or S44, but Historic Richmondtown is a good 45 minute trip on the S74.

I'm surprised no tour buses run from Manhattan to Staten Island. They could advertise it as "see the uncovered gems in the outer boroughs" or something to that effect.

It was Gray Line when Coach USA still owned the entire operation.

Lotsa empty spaces at Hempstead... N31 (which for whatever reason operates only in the morning and at night), N46/47, N54/55...

I am going to miss the N51. That is a QUICK route, from RFM to Nassau to Merrick's LIRR Station in under 15 minutes...

This is going still going to hurt quite badly. At any rate, should probably get that license.... oh wait, damn near every Arab OPEC country is going to start rebelling soon and prices are soaring back to $4/barrel. Look at Libya and Iran... Hmm.

This...is beyond disgusting and atrocious.

No more service to Bethpage, to Huntington, and nearly the entire South Shore....people are gonna move out now.

Soon I may be forced to go too...they say even the city is cheaper than here! And they have transit options! But not LI, ohhhh no.

These cuts better not pass! But I'm scared. It may happen....

http://mta.info/mta/news/hearings/pdf/bluebook_libus.pdf

LOTS of cuts, new ridership data too.

The following routes wil REMAIN!!!:

N26, N27, N20/21, N23, N25 except Sunday, N70/71/72, N15, N24, N35, N22/22A, N16 weekday only, N43/N48/49, N32, N4, N6, N40/41

Yuck! Hicksville loses almost all service...

Damn. They're literally leaving entire swaths of Nassau County uncovered by bus service.

Here are my thoughts on the reductions (feel free to disagree with me). When I say the route number, I mean any reductions related to the route (Saturday service, Sunday service, weekend service elimination, etc):

N1: I think this route should remain, but be cut back to run from Hempstead Turnpike to the Green Acres Mall on hourly headways. This is the most cost-efficient route in Elmont, and it would be the best in terms of network coverage.

N2: Agree. N1 can be used for a small portion of the route.

N8: Agree. A good portion of the route would be covered by the N1 (if it were saved) and N25. Its also a pretty expensive route to operate.

N14: Agree.

N16: It is a fairly cost-effective route, but certain portions are duplicated by the N15 and N35, to a certain extent.

N19: Agree. The LIRR does duplicate it for most of the route.

N25: Agree. $6.39 per passenger is very expensive.

N31: Agree, as long as some additional N32 service is added.

N33: Agree, though I think rush hour service should be kept. Passengers can take the Long Beach buses to the N15, and then transfer to the N32 (or LIRR Far Rockaway Branch) to get to Far Rockaway (though it is a very circuituous trip).

N36: Agree.

N45: Agree. It is a pretty expensive route.

N46: Agree.

N47: Agree.

N50: Agree.

N51: Agree.

N54/N55: The N55 should be kept at hourly headways. The route does actually get pretty high ridership and is pretty cost-efficient.

N57: This route actually does get pretty high ridership. I guess their logic is that the areas it goes to are fairly wealthy and the people can afford to drive.

N58: See N57.

N62: Agree.

N73/N74: Agree. Too expensive to operate. Some customers living in Levittown can take the Hempstead Turnpike routes to access the LIRR (or the N55 if it is kept).

N78/N79: The N79 should at least run weekdays and possibly Saturdays, since it does get high ridership and is relatively cost-efficient.

N80: Agree. Some customers can take the Hempstead Turnpike routes to access the LIRR (or the N55 if it is kept).

N81: Agree. Some customers can take the Hempstead Turnpike routes to access the LIRR (or the N55 if it is kept).

N88: Their logic probably is that people who want to go to the beach will simply go to another beach more accessable by public transit.

As a compromise, the following routes can go:

N27: Duplicates the N21, N23, and Port Washington Branch, to a certain extent.

N70: Duplicates the N71 and N72. Riders going to Melville can transfer to the S20 or S33 buses.

More to come.

dude let me break it down

1700-1799 is both owned by nassau county and mta but mainly nassau county , i read in a newsday article that the first bacth was purchaced by nassau and the option order ones 1760-99 are purchaced by the mta.

as for the 1800s they are mta`s buses and yes if they did do something those buses are coming to the city

and just to let you know that guy on subchat is very reliable soruce he mentioned something that i thougt it was a lie actuly came true

Your source can kiss my ass as well as those of the other 100,000 LIB riders that are going to lose bus service.

N31s only make the full run from Hempstead to Far Rock at morning and at night - at other times, they do short runs starting at Merrick Road a block away from Lynbrook's LIRR Station.

The N33 is the only route in LIB (or the transit system, for all I know) that has better headways on the weekend than on weekdays... I wonder how that happened?

From how I see it, anyone east of Freeport is SOL.

Your source can kiss my ass as well as those of the other 100,000 LIB riders that are going to lose bus service.

N31s only make the full run from Hempstead to Far Rock at morning and at night - at other times, they do short runs starting at Merrick Road a block away from Lynbrook's LIRR Station.

The N33 is the only route in LIB (or the transit system, for all I know) that has better headways on the weekend than on weekdays... I wonder how that happened?

From how I see it, anyone east of Freeport is SOL.

Look who is b*tching now... :P

Archived