MTA: Long Island Bus faces deepest cuts

Amtrak7

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My replies in red. Please note guys that in the Spring and Fall 2003 terms at Long Island Univ-Brooklyn i took 2 classes at the CW Post campus in Brookville so i do know a little about LIB.

Comments I left blank I either have no respond or know little or nothing about the route.

Damn. They're literally leaving entire swaths of Nassau County uncovered by bus service.

Here are my thoughts on the reductions (feel free to disagree with me). When I say the route number, I mean any reductions related to the route (Saturday service, Sunday service, weekend service elimination, etc):

N1: I think this route should remain, but be cut back to run from Hempstead Turnpike to the Green Acres Mall on hourly headways. This is the most cost-efficient route in Elmont, and it would be the best in terms of network coverage.

Agreed. The few handful of riders of extended N1 rush hour Jamaica service can use the N6 or even the less crowded Q2 and Q110.

N2: Agree. N1 can be used for a small portion of the route.

Reply: also agreed.

N8: Agree. A good portion of the route would be covered by the N1 (if it were saved) and N25. Its also a pretty expensive route to operate.

N14: Agree.

N16: It is a fairly cost-effective route, but certain portions are duplicated by the N15 and N35, to a certain extent.

N19: Agree. The LIRR does duplicate it for most of the route.

Sorry checkmated got to disagree. The N19 gets descent ridership from times I have railfaned it over the past decade most recent in summer 2008. As matter of fact it among the highest ridership of all the routes on this infamous list to be canned for good.

Best option would be in worst case IMO the following.

a)Elimante all Sunday N19 service.

b)Reduce to every hour service between Freeport and Sunrise Mall all time off-peak. Service to Babylon IMO runs every '2' hours Weekdays only.

Use the LIRR or the N72 along Hempstead Turnpike for Eastern Nassau-Babylon service

c)Have the N19 extend up to Hempstead Turnpike and end at Melville replacing the N70. They can also transfer to the N72 for bus service to Babylon as well.

N25: Agree. $6.39 per passenger is very expensive.

Issue here is that this is a major north-south route in Western Nassau area. I am surprised it has this low number of riders. If possible try to save it as a 'weekday only' route.

N31: Agree, as long as some additional N32 service is added.

Can't argue here.

N33: Agree, though I think rush hour service should be kept. Passengers can take the Long Beach buses to the N15, and then transfer to the N32 (or LIRR Far Rockaway Branch) to get to Far Rockaway (though it is a very circuituous trip).

Although it has light ridership, I been on a few times where Nurses/Home Health Attendants from the Far Rockaway area use it to get to work in Long Beach. Not to mention teens from Far Rock in summer going to Long Beach as well. This could be kept IMO as a compromise running Monday-Saturday only route.

N36: Agree.

N45: Agree. It is a pretty expensive route.

N46: Agree.

N47: Agree.

Checkmate you got to keep at least one of the routes in Eastern Nassau of the N45-47 series.

N50: Agree.

N51: Agree.

N54/N55: The N55 should be kept at hourly headways. The route does actually get pretty high ridership and is pretty cost-efficient.

Could not say it any better than myself.

N57: This route actually does get pretty high ridership. I guess their logic is that the areas it goes to are fairly wealthy and the people can afford to drive.

N58: See N57.

If possible then the (MTA) or w/e is running Nassau Buses should merge the N57/58.

N62: Agree.

N73/N74: Agree. Too expensive to operate. Some customers living in Levittown can take the Hempstead Turnpike routes to access the LIRR (or the N55 if it is kept).

N78/N79: The N79 should at least run weekdays and possibly Saturdays, since it does get high ridership and is relatively cost-efficient.

The N79 has to run 7 days a week. Old Country is the Hylan Blvd of Central/Eastern Nassau. Hate to say it but worst case is that N79 service on Sundays ends between Walt Whitman in Huington and Hicksville.

N78 should be reduced to a rush hour only route if needed.

N80: Agree. Some customers can take the Hempstead Turnpike routes to access the LIRR (or the N55 if it is kept).

N81: Agree. Some customers can take the Hempstead Turnpike routes to access the LIRR (or the N55 if it is kept).

Personally I merge the N80/81 and run it weekdays only. Also I would extend it up to SUNY-Westbury as well to try to increase ridership.

N88: Their logic probably is that people who want to go to the beach will simply go to another beach more accessable by public transit.

The worst idea. As the kids would say are the (MTA) on drugs.

Worst case scenrio is that the N88 should at least run summer weekends.Friday-Sunday Nights. Or maybe have a charter bus company run this route chosen by the LIRR.

As a compromise, the following routes can go:

N27: Duplicates the N21, N23, and Port Washington Branch, to a certain extent.

N70: Duplicates the N71 and N72. Riders going to Melville can transfer to the S20 or S33 buses.

More to come.

My replies.

My ideas:

Restore N79 to a reduced span of service at least 6 days a week, no N78 service.

Restore N55 at least 6 days a week.

Restore N80 hourly, weekdays only, reduced span, maybe extra fare.

Restore N88 weekend only, nice weather only.

Restore N33 hourly.

Further cuts:

Cut N16 south of RVC (use N4 instead)

Cut N21 completely (use N27 instead)

Cut N26 (loss per trip is less, but still a loss)

Cut N20 spur to Great Neck (if N57/58 are gone, use N25 instead)

Cut N35 north of Maple Av

Cut N70 (take N72 then S31)

Zone fares on N20 to fund low turnover, 75 cents extra per boundary crossed:

Zone 1: Flushing-Roslyn

Zone 2: Roslyn-CW Post (inclusive)

Zone 3: SUNY-Hicksville (inclusive)

N19: But you have to consider that it isn’t just ridership that matters-it is the availability of alternatives. The N19 does parallel the LIRR for basically the entire length of the route. Plus, you have to consider: Just because the bus is crowded doesn’t mean it is very efficient. When you were on it, was it basically the same people from Freeport to Babylon, or was there a lot of turnover?

N25: Only Sunday service is being eliminated. Weekday and Saturday service is fairly cost-efficient and is being kept.

N33: It is possible that the MTA is counting on the City of Long Beach to extend the West End route (or whichever route serves the western portion of the island) to connect with the (A) at Far Rockaway.

N45/N46/N47: Which one would you keep? They are all expensive to operate. The MTA isn’t going to keep a route based on network coverage.

N57/N58: Both routes are actually doing pretty well on their own, but I agree that they should at least merge them (or just keep the N58) to maintain service to the area.

N79: I forgot to mention that service west of Hicksville is definitely gone (you’ll have to walk to an underpass and cross to the northern side of the tracks to catch the N22). Alternatively, rush hour service in the area could be maintained by extending the N22A from RFM to Hicksville via Old Country Road. Weekdays and Saturdays, ridership is definitely high enough to maintain service, but Sundays, ridership is fairly low. (Maybe Amtrak7 can give his thoughts on N79 ridership). In any case, I think the N78 is going to be eliminated either way.

N80/N81: I think it would be a better use of resources to keep the N74 running rush hours only.

N88: Agree.

Also, I think that one or more of the remaining routes ending at Hicksville (preferably all of them) should be extended to serve the Broadway Mall , since it is fairly close to the LIRR station.

Network coverage is usually the base of most transit planning, but the sheer size of these cuts is just so HUGE that the MTA can't afford to use any guidelines. Just chop where it hurts the least.

N79 ridership east of Hicksville is like this:

Rush hours: At least 8-12 standees.

Middays: Not full, but not empty either. Little less than all seats taken.

After 8-9PM: 100% empty on most trips.

Saturdays: Midday trips carry a seated load, others are empty.

Sunday: Pretty empty for most trips. Service is not REALLY necessary.

N78 ridership east of Hicksville is VERY light, mostly driven by the hospital. It needs to go for sure. The N80/81, I've never seen it with a full seated load, it needs to go, but we need some north-south service east of Mineola. The bus is really a feeder to the train station. Very few get off at places other than LIRR stations and shopping centers.

Network coverage is usually the base of most transit planning, but the sheer size of these cuts is just so HUGE that the MTA can't afford to use any guidelines. Just chop where it hurts the least.

N79 ridership east of Hicksville is like this:

Rush hours: At least 8-12 standees.

Middays: Not full, but not empty either. Little less than all seats taken.

After 8-9PM: 100% empty on most trips.

Saturdays: Midday trips carry a seated load, others are empty.

Sunday: Pretty empty for most trips. Service is not REALLY necessary.

N78 ridership east of Hicksville is VERY light, mostly driven by the hospital. It needs to go for sure. The N80/81, I've never seen it with a full seated load, it needs to go, but we need some north-south service east of Mineola. The bus is really a feeder to the train station. Very few get off at places other than LIRR stations and shopping centers.

That is pretty much the dumbest thing I ever read. You don't witness a swinging load so eliminate? It's those type of idiots that land a managerial role and ruin transportation. Therin lies the problem. The only thing that "needs to go" are the idiots that licked enough ass to wind up in a postion and they have no idea of what to do, all they really know is how to sign thier paycheck. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Cut the stupidity, that is the answer. How do you do that? That's a tough one...

Replies in red.

N19: But you have to consider that it isn’t just ridership that matters-it is the availability of alternatives. The N19 does parallel the LIRR for basically the entire length of the route. Plus, you have to consider: Just because the bus is crowded doesn’t mean it is very efficient. When you were on it, was it basically the same people from Freeport to Babylon, or was there a lot of turnover?

Checkmate in reply to your N19 question. Most of the riders ride in '2' sections. First between Freeport and Sunrise Mall(about 75% seats full on few times I been on the N19) before most of the riders get off. The 2nd group of riders ride it from Sunrise-Babylon but almost always it's much much lighter with at most 20-25 riders.

Sundays based on driving in area(I never been on N19 on Sunday)the N19 at most has 5-10 people on section between Babylon-Sunrise. Ditto for section between Babylon and Sunrise with at most maybe 15-20 riders. Sundays could be a canadiate to be cut or least run it only between Freeport and Sunrise. Monday-Saturday should stay but with reduced service to Babylon.

N25: Only Sunday service is being eliminated. Weekday and Saturday service is fairly cost-efficient and is being kept.

Oh ok. Thanks for clearly it up.

N33: It is possible that the MTA is counting on the City of Long Beach to extend the West End route (or whichever route serves the western portion of the island) to connect with the (A) at Far Rockaway.

You correct. City of Long Beach "west end' does serve the west end of LB and also the border of town of Atlantic Beach as well. This could be a compromoise to run it to Far Rockaway. However not sure if LB taxpayers want it though to send a bus to one of Queens(and NYC)worst neighborhoods crime wise.

N45/N46/N47: Which one would you keep? They are all expensive to operate. The MTA isn’t going to keep a route based on network coverage.

N57/N58: Both routes are actually doing pretty well on their own, but I agree that they should at least merge them (or just keep the N58) to maintain service to the area.

N79: I forgot to mention that service west of Hicksville is definitely gone (you’ll have to walk to an underpass and cross to the northern side of the tracks to catch the N22). Alternatively, rush hour service in the area could be maintained by extending the N22A from RFM to Hicksville via Old Country Road. Weekdays and Saturdays, ridership is definitely high enough to maintain service, but Sundays, ridership is fairly low. (Maybe Amtrak7 can give his thoughts on N79 ridership). In any case, I think the N78 is going to be eliminated either way.

Checkmate again Old Country needs bus service 7 days a week. Tons of employees from Wal Mart, Target and other retail/fast food joints and resturants depend on it to get to work. Plus the N22 and the LIRR is a 1/2 mile walk. That why the N79 or any bus has to run on Old Country between RFM and Hicksville 7 days a week.

Worst case (I know someone will scream)is to cut N79 to/from Walt Whitman in Hungington on Sundays.

N80/N81: I think it would be a better use of resources to keep the N74 running rush hours only.

If possible consider running the N80/81 as there is not a major north-south route in eastern Nassau and office like Gruman are used by employees..

N88: Agree.

Also, I think that one or more of the remaining routes ending at Hicksville (preferably all of them) should be extended to serve the Broadway Mall , since it is fairly close to the LIRR station.

Actually until around (correct me if I wrong guys)around 2001-'02 LI Bus Hicksville buses did terminate at Broadway Mall. Long story short, the Mall Owners had a dispute with LI Bus on the costs of maintaing a bus hub/terminal there.

Plus there was rumors though unconfirmed that the NIMBYS who live in Hicksville did not want riders from the bus many of them 'people of color' and teenagers. Still though almost or about a decade later, the customer usage has dropped dramticaly. Part of it has been lost customers from LIB but most people think it's the opening of Wal Mart in both nearby Westbury and Levittown as well.

So as result of the dispute, that mall terminated the contract and thus buses were not allowed to serve there. That why the LIB that serve Hicksville instead terminate at LIRR station. Still Broadway Mall is only about a 15 minute walk to/from the station so it ok on a nice day.

Or you can transfer to the N20 or N48/49 as well on cold or not so great weather days to Hicksville Broadway Mall.

But the thing is that the N19 is an expensive route to operate: Over $5 per person. Also, like I said, it duplicates the LIRR. Remember, this isn't NYC, where we can have bus routes duplicating train lines and other bus routes. There simply isn't enough demand to be split between both.

Just out of curiosity, is there a Suffolk County Transit route that duplicates the N19 east of the Sunrise Mall? If there is, that section is definitely going.

As far as the City of Long Beach goes, the N33 serves the same areas that the West End route would serve if it were extended. The only difference is that residents of Long Beach would be subsidizing it (the "bad element" would still be coming into their neighborhoods).

Amtrak7 himself said that Sunday service on the N79 isn't totally necessary, and he lives in Hicksville. Also, when you consider that some areas will be losing all service, a 1/2 mile walk over the railroad tracks isn't that bad.

As far as the mall goes, they have to consider that riders going to the mall are going to be very hesitant to transfer. That's why malls (even in NYC) are also transit hubs: People don't want to carry their bags onto two different buses. I'm sure the additional patronage brought in by LI Bus was more than the cost of maintaining the bus bays (not to mention it would've attracted some extra ridership and revenue for LI Bus).

An update. Here link from 1010 WINS News. The Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano on Thursday 3/3/11 in interview trying to downplay the cuts claims he 'very close' to having LIB be taken over by a 'private company'. Mangano will not pay the appx. $27 Million the (MTA) says Nassau owes them and bus service will continue no matter whether if the (MTA) is running it or not

Barring a change LIB is about to end a 40-year contract with the MTA which began as the MSBA. $27 Million is not alot of money in comprasion to the budgets that all counties in metro NYC has to deal with annunally IMO.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/03/02/mta-may-cut-half-of-long-islands-bus-service/

"Bus service is very important to the economy here in Nassau County."

Well, you dip****, you'd probably pay up if you thought of it that way. When all the students and workers that can't get to school/their workplaces because your crappy ass private system fails, it's your fault.

Just out of curiosity, is there a Suffolk County Transit route that duplicates the N19 east of the Sunrise Mall? If there is, that section is definitely going.

As far as the City of Long Beach goes, the N33 serves the same areas that the West End route would serve if it were extended. The only difference is that residents of Long Beach would be subsidizing it (the "bad element" would still be coming into their neighborhoods).

Amtrak7 himself said that Sunday service on the N79 isn't totally necessary, and he lives in Hicksville. Also, when you consider that some areas will be losing all service, a 1/2 mile walk over the railroad tracks isn't that bad.

Yes there is an SCT route Sunrise Mall-Babylon. It doesn't run on E Merrick Road, though. Saving the N19 is not a big concern. Saving the western N79 and the N55 is the most important.

Yes there is an SCT route Sunrise Mall-Babylon. It doesn't run on E Merrick Road, though. Saving the N19 is not a big concern. Saving the western N79 and the N55 is the most important.

The route is the S20. It runs on Oak/John St and serves the Great South Bay SC

To a point I agree with Amtrak. While a service cut on any of the proposed lines will hurt at least a few people, the top lines to try to save are the N55, N79(Mineola-Hicksville via Old Country portion) and N88(Freeport-Jones Beach summer service)are the most 'urgent' to save. Secondly would be IMO the N33(at least Monday-Saturday) N58, N80(merged with the N81)and the N19.(Freeport-Sunrise Mall section)

I am very surprised to see so many supporting axing any service to the N19 to support any other run.

The 19 already only runs every 30 minutes...

Sure I can see "high ridership" runs deserving to be served over others, but as I understand it the 19's ridership at least pays for it, maybe it doesn't make a huge profit if any but at least it pays it's own way,what more can you ask for in terms of transit service?

Do you really want to cut this service because the Babylon line of the LIRR services the same area? The same could be said for the N4!

The N19 picks up where the N4 leaves off, continuing service down Merrick Rd / Montauk HWY...

The 19 serves Merrick Rd. as the LIRR follows Sunrise HWY for the most part. Between the Mall and Babylon LIRR there is no other bus that serves the entirety of Merrick Rd./Montauk HWY in a straight shot down that road like the 19 does... So how exactly does that us parallel service with SCT and the LIRR?

You name whatever buses & trains you want but no other buses or trains service Merrick rd the way the 19 does... Many businesses would be effected by reducing the N19...

In short, the 19 is already limited enough at every 30 min for a route that supports itself... ...BUT I already know what will happen, it will be reduced to service other already over saturated lines... Like we need 3 N4's following each other 5 min apart out of freeport or jamaica...

People assume by reducing or eliminating the 19 it will help other lines... If people ride the LIRR or SCT instead of the 19 it will count towards their ridership and all that will be done is kill a line that supports itself...

...but that is what is going to happen... It sucks because I live off the beaten beaten path of the N19... ...but I'm not too concerned because I'm moving into the city in a month or two and am looking forward to blaming Long Island and Long Island Bus for any service cuts that happen out there... :cool: LMAO J/K...

To a point I agree with Amtrak. While a service cut on any of the proposed lines will hurt at least a few people, the top lines to try to save are the N55, N79(Mineola-Hicksville via Old Country portion) and N88(Freeport-Jones Beach summer service)are the most 'urgent' to save. Secondly would be IMO the N33(at least Monday-Saturday) N58, N80(merged with the N81)and the N19.(Freeport-Sunrise Mall section)

The N88 is in no way one of the most urgent ones to save. In addition to the 55/79, we need to retain at least one north-south route from east of Mineola. The N80 seems to be the best one: while the N74 has more ridership, the N73/74 elimination saves more than $1.3 million. Not sure what to do about the N33. Seems like it just "closes the loop" of the N32, N15, and N4.

The cuts that save the most money are the N19 ($1.6M), N54/55 ($900,000), N73/74 and N78/79 ($1.3M each)

If you want to restore the N54/55 and N78/79 to current levels, you'll have to find an extra $2.2M. Given that these cuts in total $12.2M, that won't be easy.

I am very surprised to see so many supporting axing any service to the N19 to support any other run.

The 19 already only runs every 30 minutes...

Sure I can see "high ridership" runs deserving to be served over others, but as I understand it the 19's ridership at least pays for it, maybe it doesn't make a huge profit if any but at least it pays it's own way,what more can you ask for in terms of transit service?

Do you really want to cut this service because the Babylon line of the LIRR services the same area? The same could be said for the N4!

The N19 picks up where the N4 leaves off, continuing service down Merrick Rd / Montauk HWY...

The 19 serves Merrick Rd. as the LIRR follows Sunrise HWY for the most part. Between the Mall and Babylon LIRR there is no other bus that serves the entirety of Merrick Rd./Montauk HWY in a straight shot down that road like the 19 does... So how exactly does that us parallel service with SCT and the LIRR?

You name whatever buses & trains you want but no other buses or trains service Merrick rd the way the 19 does... Many businesses would be effected by reducing the N19...

In short, the 19 is already limited enough at every 30 min for a route that supports itself... ...BUT I already know what will happen, it will be reduced to service other already over saturated lines... Like we need 3 N4's following each other 5 min apart out of freeport or jamaica...

The N19 costs over $5 per person, so even if every single person pays a full fare (which I doubt-I'm sure at least some people pay with transfers), it still makes back only 40% of its operating costs.

The N4 has much higher ridership than the N19 (its weekly ridership is close to 7 times that of the N19), and costs less per passenger (less than $2 per passenger vs. $5 per passenger on the N19).

Also, the fare on the LIRR to travel from Freeport to Jamaica is much higher than the fare to travel from Freeport to Babylon ($8.00 peak and $5.75 off-peak vs. $2.75 all times). Also, the N4 has higher turnover than the N19, which means that, while the N19 has people who travel a long distance (which makes the LIRR more attractive), the N4 has people who travel shorter distances, which means that it isn't worth the time to walk over to an LIRR station, wait for the train, and walk back to Merrick Road when the bus is right there.

Also, the money won't be redistributed to other services-the MTA will keep the money because Nassau County wouldn't give it to them.

The N88 is in no way one of the most urgent ones to save. In addition to the 55/79, we need to retain at least one north-south route from east of Mineola. The N80 seems to be the best one: while the N74 has more ridership, the N73/74 elimination saves more than $1.3 million. Not sure what to do about the N33. Seems like it just "closes the loop" of the N32, N15, and N4.

The cuts that save the most money are the N19 ($1.6M), N54/55 ($900,000), N73/74 and N78/79 ($1.3M each)

If you want to restore the N54/55 and N78/79 to current levels, you'll have to find an extra $2.2M. Given that these cuts in total $12.2M, that won't be easy.

It all comes down to cost per passenger as to which routes merit being saved. The N80, being the most efficient out of all of the full north-south routes east of Mineola (N73/N74, N80, and N81) would be the most likely to be saved if the MTA decided to save any of them at all (I say full north-south routes because the N48/N49 and N71 are spend a portion of their route traveling north-south).

The way I see it, these could be the reasons why certain high-ridership routes (the N55, N58, and N79) were discontinued:

They were using these routes as "bait" to get riders angry enough to beg Nassau County for more funding.

They felt that these routes could be covered by dollar van-type operators, who might be able to make a profit off of these routes (though, being a private service, they would probably have to run the buses more frequently, so that people actually depend on them).

One strategy that might work for the MTA would be to try the same trick that they tried with the Student MetroCards-threaten to discontinue the entire system, and then everyone would get riled up and beg their elected officials to secure more finding for LI Bus, or Manango (sp?) would be forced to push his privatization plan through, and they would be relieved of the system altogether.

The problem with privatization is, because the government is paying the bill, the companies could jack their costs up, cutting into the supposed savings of privatization.

"Also, the fare on the LIRR to travel from Freeport to Jamaica is much higher than the fare to travel from Freeport to Babylon ($8.00 peak and $5.75 off-peak vs. $2.75 all times)."

That's $2,75 going there and another $2,75 going back. Makes it $5,50 total vs $5,75 on the LIRR off-peak. That's only 25 cents higher, so it doesn't make much difference after all (off-peak at least).

I think that, if LI Bus is saved, the following routes can be restructured to increase ridership:

N24: Extended to Merrick Avenue/Merrick Road to replace the N51 on weekdays and Saturdays.

Advantages: Merrick Avenue riders have a direct connection to the Mineola LIRR station.

N31 rerouted to Freeport via N36 route. Additional N32 service provided north of Lynbrook.

Advantages: The N31 would be a distinct route from the N32, and would offer riders in the neighborhoods near the LIRR Far Rockaway Branch more choices in travel locations.

N43: Extended to Sunrise Mall to replace the N19 7 days per week.

Advantages: Merrick Road riders have direct access to the Roosevelt Field Mall, and riders along Nassau Road have direct access to the Sunrise Mall.

I think that, if LI Bus is saved, the following routes can be restructured to increase ridership:

N24: Extended to Merrick Avenue/Merrick Road to replace the N51 on weekdays and Saturdays.

Advantages: Merrick Avenue riders have a direct connection to the Mineola LIRR station.

N31 rerouted to Freeport via N36 route. Additional N32 service provided north of Lynbrook.

Advantages: The N31 would be a distinct route from the N32, and would offer riders in the neighborhoods near the LIRR Far Rockaway Branch more choices in travel locations.

Advantages: Merrick Road riders have direct access to the Roosevelt Field Mall, and riders along Nassau Road have direct access to the Sunrise Mall.

N51 ridership is too low to warrant an extension.

- If the 43 were to be merged into anything, it would be the 62 IMO...

- that N31 thing you're bringing up, I wouldn't even bother with... it's one of the few cuts I do agree with.... I think they wanted to cut this route, the first go round (when they got rid of its weekend service)... the usage is along broadway... that diversion onto west broadway, buses pretty much coast along....

- the N24 to Merrick Rd via Merrick av...

you may as well extend the N6 to Sunrise mall via Jerusalem....

Just b/c you elongate a route doesn't mean you'll get a significant boost in ridership....

Long(er), indirect routes = more unreliable routes... Which LIB long had/has problems with.....

N51 ridership is too low to warrant an extension.

It wouldn't be an extension-it would be a combination with the N24, since it already ends a little bit west of RFM.

- If the 43 were to be merged into anything, it would be the 62 IMO...

- that N31 thing you're bringing up, I wouldn't even bother with... it's one of the few cuts I do agree with.... I think they wanted to cut this route, the first go round (when they got rid of its weekend service)... the usage is along broadway... that diversion onto west broadway, buses pretty much coast along....

- the N24 to Merrick Rd via Merrick av...

you may as well extend the N6 to Sunrise mall via Jerusalem....

Just b/c you elongate a route doesn't mean you'll get a significant boost in ridership....

Long(er), indirect routes = more unreliable routes... Which LIB long had/has problems with.....

These are just suggestions in case, for some reason, Nassau County decides to pay the MTA the money it is due. I figured it might help give the routes higher ridership, by connecting them to more destinations.

There are only a few reductions (the N55, N58, and N79) that I strongly disagree with. The rest of the routes either have too low ridership or are redundant to other routes, and, given how much the MTA has to reduce the budget by, I agree with their elimination.

The "route discontinuation and extension" thing (BxM7A/B) doesn't always hold true. The N51 only takes a couple of buses to operate, extending the N24 may need more buses because of the longer layover times needed to ensure reliability on a longer route.

N62 should not be touched. It is a route that needs to go.

What's the problem with the N58? It's short, and yes, if the interlining with the N25 were to be publicized and the N58 renamed to the N25, it should be better off. However, I'd rather take whatever small savings there is from it and use it to restore the big 2.

Archived