MTA: Long Island Bus faces deepest cuts

Amtrak7

The problem with privatization is, because the government is paying the bill, the companies could jack their costs up, cutting into the supposed savings of privatization.

That's exactly what the former private companies did under NYCDOT control. Their contracts were set up as "cost-plus," meaning that DOT covered all expenses and gave each company a guaranteed 6% profit. The more each company spent, the greater its guaranteed profit. The "cost-plus" system had ZERO incentive for efficiency - in fact, there was every incentive to be as inefficient as possible.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If people are so hell bent on axing the the N19, the only line to merge it with that makes sense (IMHO) is the N4... Instead of merging totally different lines like the 43, why not just have an N4 continue down Merrick Rd (after hitting up the Freeport LIRR) down to Sunrise Mall or Bablyon every 30, 45, or 60 minutes... Have every other N4 start and terminate as usual in Freeport.

IMHO, having either this new N4 or N19 service start and stop and at the Amityville RR (in addition to hitting up the mall) would be a great idea... The N19 is almost there already after leaving the mall, why not stop/start the run there? In addition to the S20 and S33, people can connect to the S1 there.

In addition people can get the LIRR to Lindehurst, Copiague, Babylon...

...BUT, Burrstone, you've lost your mind, the N54 goes to the Amityville LIRR, people can transfer at the Mall... Yea, I know but the N54 sucks, it comes once and hour and anytime I've seen it leaving Amityville it has only a handful of people on it.

The N88 is in no way one of the most urgent ones to save. In addition to the 55/79, we need to retain at least one north-south route from east of Mineola. The N80 seems to be the best one: while the N74 has more ridership, the N73/74 elimination saves more than $1.3 million. Not sure what to do about the N33. Seems like it just "closes the loop" of the N32, N15, and N4.

The cuts that save the most money are the N19 ($1.6M), N54/55 ($900,000), N73/74 and N78/79 ($1.3M each)

If you want to restore the N54/55 and N78/79 to current levels, you'll have to find an extra $2.2M. Given that these cuts in total $12.2M, that won't be easy.

You should work for the MTA!!! To try to fill the budget gap, you want to eliminate lines.... By doing this you're a tenth of the way there, but you're still way short and angered the public! Good job!:tup:

If people are so hell bent on axing the the N19, the only line to merge it with that makes sense (IMHO) is the N4... Instead of merging totally different lines like the 43, why not just have an N4 continue down Merrick Rd (after hitting up the Freeport LIRR) down to Sunrise Mall or Bablyon every 30, 45, or 60 minutes... Have every other N4 start and terminate as usual in Freeport.

IMHO, having either this new N4 or N19 service start and stop and at the Amityville RR (in addition to hitting up the mall) would be a great idea... The N19 is almost there already after leaving the mall, why not stop/start the run there? In addition to the S20 and S33, people can connect to the S1 there.

In addition people can get the LIRR to Lindehurst, Copiague...

...BUT, Burrstone, you've lost your mind, the N54 goes to the Amityville LIRR, people can transfer at the Mall... Yea, I know but the N54 sucks, it comes once and hour and anytime I've seen it leaving Amityville it has only a handful of people on it.

Talk about a proposed route that could easily be a journey lasting maybe 2 hours with traffic jam.:(

Burrstone I agree with you. While Checkmated makes excellent suggestions with NYC/(MTA) buses in the 5 boros, he does not sound great here being fair. He admits he never been on LI Bus and yet makes these proposals.

It's like me making a suggestion on the Washington DC Metro subway and if they ever had budget cuts say the Red Line ending Sunday service at 9pm.(Forest Glen relax making a point)

I been on the DC Metro a couple of times in my but, I personally would not make comments/proposals on them since I don't know much about it. Not sure it's great (they allowed but I disagree)for Checkmate and many who only been on buses in the 5 boros to make comments about routes such as the N19 and N79.

I tried to tell checkmate that Old Country needs bus service and even though a few N79 may only have a few riders I am sure the same can be said for a few bus routes in his Staten Island on Sundays as well . Sundays will always have lighter ridership. Old Country Road is a major shopping/business coordior like Victory Blvd or Richmond Ave that needs 7 day a wekk bus service. Not meant to be rude but honest here.

Guess everyone wants to play monday morning quaterback even though 99.9% of us will never be a NFL Quaterback.

Everyone is different. Unlike the others on here I been on LI Bus (was a commutter in 2003 when I lived in Brooklyn and took clases at CW Post)and I rode it enough to comment.:eek:

Back to topic. Being fair on Sundays, the N19 to/from Babylon often has *zero riders* on portion between Babylon and Sunrise. I always called for the N19 to remain running 7 days a week but maybe Sundays only the N19 runs between Sunrise Mall and Freeport.

Burrstone you concerns are well taken. These cuts are so bad it getting to point there might as well be no more bus service in Nassau.

The N19 costs over $5 per person, so even if every single person pays a full fare (which I doubt-I'm sure at least some people pay with transfers), it still makes back only 40% of its operating costs.

The N4 has much higher ridership than the N19 (its weekly ridership is close to 7 times that of the N19), and costs less per passenger (less than $2 per passenger vs. $5 per passenger on the N19).

Also, the fare on the LIRR to travel from Freeport to Jamaica is much higher than the fare to travel from Freeport to Babylon ($8.00 peak and $5.75 off-peak vs. $2.75 all times). Also, the N4 has higher turnover than the N19, which means that, while the N19 has people who travel a long distance (which makes the LIRR more attractive), the N4 has people who travel shorter distances, which means that it isn't worth the time to walk over to an LIRR station, wait for the train, and walk back to Merrick Road when the bus is right there.

Also, the money won't be redistributed to other services-the MTA will keep the money because Nassau County wouldn't give it to them.

I was never comparing the N4 to the N19, apples and oranges... What I did compare is the thought that the N19, should be cut because it parallels the Babylon line of the LIRR, the same could be said for the N4, which also parallels the Babylon line of the LIRR...

From what I've witnessed a majority of the people riding the N4 are riding it from wherever they got on to Jamaica Center. Of Course the LIRR is expensive to take to Jamaica or into the City, that's why the N4 is so busy.

Maybe the N4 should be cut into Queens and service should only run from Freeport to Hook Creek BLVD (and vice versa), and people can take the LIRR from Jamaica and LI Bus can focus what little money is left on what public transportation is supposed to be about giving people in under serviced area's transportation.

I find it very interesting that people in Eastern Nassau are being told to take the train, and two to three buses home, walk miles, and wait in the cold for 45 minutes to an hour for their bus so the resources can be focused on saving buses to give people a cheap ride into the city.

Amazing!

He admits he never been on LI Bus and yet makes these prop

Reading his suggestions, I knew somethin had to be up....

Had I known he actually said that, I wouldn't have made that last reply to him that I did.....

In addition people can get the LIRR to Lindehurst, Copiague, Babylon...

Same here (about the N54 @ Amityville).... I even find the pickup area @ LIRR Amityville to be rather *stupid* (along john st, b/w the area under the RR tracks themselves), for lack of a better term... the few times I've taken the N54 out of there, I've been the only person on it... everytime.

The N19... these ridiculous extensions of other routes to replace it, are just that... ridiculous....

Only thing I would do to the N19 is truncate it @ Sunrise... that's it.... I wouldn't even bother extending the N4 all the way down there....

I seriously don't get the willing attitude to want to get rid of the N19... just b/c it "parallels" the LIRR, so what... that's what they (the MTA) wanna do here in the city also; get rid of routes that "parallel" the subway... I won't stand for that weak a**ed reasoning for any type of bus cuts....

The N25 at Lynbrook has a worse terminus... because of this small abandoned factory building in between the street that runs parallel to the tracks and the terminus, the walk to the TVM is annoying. It's all the way towards the ticket office a good block and a half away, by the car wash.... but the White Castle and the stairs up to either platform are right there by the bus stops.

EDIT: Until I can get maps in posts like Yuki does when he makes maps of shuttle routes, here's a link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=meJ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=Stauderman+Avenue,+Lynbrook,+NY&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Stauderman+Ave,+Lynbrook,+NY&gl=us&ei=H9RzTYeZKIbPtweJicnwDg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQ8gEwAA

The terminus is marked, but the TVM is really close to Ross Plaza. It's sad and it's not like moving the machines or installing new ones at street level will do anything wrong.

Had I known he actually said that, I wouldn't have made that last reply to him that I did.....

Same here (about the N54 @ Amityville).... I even find the pickup area @ LIRR Amityville to be rather *stupid* (along john st, b/w the area under the RR tracks themselves), for lack of a better term... the few times I've taken the N54 out of there, I've been the only person on it... everytime.

The N19... these ridiculous extensions of other routes to replace it, are just that... ridiculous....

Only thing I would do to the N19 is truncate it @ Sunrise... that's it.... I wouldn't even bother extending the N4 all the way down there....

I seriously don't get the willing attitude to want to get rid of the N19... just b/c it "parallels" the LIRR, so what... that's what they (the MTA) wanna do here in the city also; get rid of routes that "parallel" the subway... I won't stand for that weak a**ed reasoning for any type of bus cuts....

Could not say it better. I still run N19 to/from Babylon weekdays but no weekend service to Suffolk.

I was never comparing the N4 to the N19, apples and oranges... What I did compare is the thought that the N19, should be cut because it parallels the Babylon line of the LIRR, the same could be said for the N4, which also parallels the Babylon line of the LIRR...

From what I've witnessed a majority of the people riding the N4 are riding it from wherever they got on to Jamaica Center. Of Course the LIRR is expensive to take to Jamaica or into the City, that's why the N4 is so busy.

Maybe the N4 should be cut into Queens and service should only run from Freeport to Hook Creek BLVD (and vice versa), and people can take the LIRR from Jamaica and LI Bus can focus what little money is left on what public transportation is supposed to be about giving people in under serviced area's transportation.

I find it very interesting that people in Eastern Nassau are being told to take the train, and two to three buses home, walk miles, and wait in the cold for 45 minutes to an hour for their bus so the resources can be focused on saving buses to give people a cheap ride into the city.

Amazing!

They aren't cutting the N19 to help people on the N4. They are cutting it to save money.

Talk about a proposed route that could easily be a journey lasting maybe 2 hours with traffic jam.:)

Burrstone I agree with you. While Checkmated makes excellent suggestions with NYC/(MTA) buses in the 5 boros, he does not sound great here being fair. He admits he never been on LI Bus and yet makes these proposals.

It's like me making a suggestion on the Washington DC Metro subway and if they ever had budget cuts say the Red Line ending Sunday service at 9pm.(Forest Glen relax making a point)

I been on the DC Metro a couple of times in my but, I personally would not make comments/proposals on them since I don't know much about it. Not sure it's great (they allowed but I disagree)for Checkmate and many who only been on buses in the 5 boros to make comments about routes such as the N19 and N79.

I tried to tell checkmate that Old Country needs bus service and even though a few N79 may only have a few riders I am sure the same can be said for a few bus routes in his Staten Island on Sundays as well . Sundays will always have lighter ridership. Old Country Road is a major shopping/business coordior like Victory Blvd or Richmond Ave that needs 7 day a wekk bus service. Not meant to be rude but honest here.

Guess everyone wants to play monday morning quaterback even though 99.9% of us will never be a NFL Quaterback.

Everyone is different. Unlike the others on here I been on LI Bus (was a commutter in 2003 when I lived in Brooklyn and took clases at CW Post)and I rode it enough to comment.:eek:

Back to topic. Being fair on Sundays, the N19 to/from Babylon often has *zero riders* on portion between Babylon and Sunrise. I always called for the N19 to remain running 7 days a week but maybe Sundays only the N19 runs between Sunrise Mall and Freeport.

Burrstone you concerns are well taken. These cuts are so bad it getting to point there might as well be no more bus service in Nassau.

But what difference does it make if I've never taken a bus out in Nassau? I doubt the people in Operations Planning (except for maybe one or two) have ever taken LI Bus, and they're coming up with these suggestions. Also, what difference does it make what I think should be done?-I'm not the one in charge of cutting the service.

All I'm doing is offering suggestions based on my (limited) knowledge of LI Bus.

As far as Old Country Road goes, the difference between it and the other corridors you mentioned is as follows:

The other corridors actuallt get ridership-even on Sunday.

The other corridors are further away from parallel services (yes-I know the N22 is on the other side of the tracks, but, once you get across the train tracks, it is a few blocks extra, whereas Richmond Avenue and Victory Blvd are nowhere near parallel services)

Also, the MTA isn't planning these types of reductions to any part of NYC-simply because, if nothing else, NYC officials have paid there fair share to the MTA, whereas LI officials haven't. That's why the cuts are much more extreme to LI Bus.

The difference is that the NYC routes actually get high ridership and high turnover. Shortline Bus said that the bus looks like it gets high ridership because the seats are full from Freeport to Sunrise Mall. The problem is that they are filled by the same people.

Take a route like the B25 or Q56-those routes actually get a lot of turnover. Relatively few people take those routes from Broadway Junction to Downtown Brooklyn/Jamaica-they take the subway. The majority of those passengers are making relatively short trips, meaning that the same seat is sold multiple times.

Just a side note... This argument has been brought up about express buses that "parallel" the subway; that they should be canned. :)

I agree that both local and express buses should be kept even if they mirror subways or in this case the LIRR. Unless the line is carrying practically nothing it should be kept and the (MTA) carefully study ways for those routes to attract more ridership.

Any "studying" is for Nassau County to do. Remember that the County owns the service, not the MTA.

Agreed. But even then some things would be cut. You do know that the (MTA) has to close a budget gap right? Even if Nassau did pay, they still need to do things so save money, else it wouldn't be fair compared to the other parts (LIRR, Subway, etc.).

But I do agree that it's Nassau's fault for letting this happen.

Question: is the (MTA) busy getting a court ready for Nassau? I'm pretty sure the (MTA) would win the court.

Just a side note... This argument has been brought up about express buses that "parallel" the subway; that they should be canned. B)

I agree that both local and express buses should be kept even if they mirror subways or in this case the LIRR. Unless the line is carrying practically nothing it should be kept and the (MTA) carefully study ways for those routes to attract more ridership.

Apples and oranges.

An express bus and a subway perform similar functions (rapid access to the core). In some markets, the networks don't overlap (BxM11/(2) train), but they do in others (BxM4/(D) train). In the case of a local bus such as the N19, the local distribution is handled by the bus because the railroad is geared for access to and from the core. These are two completely different functions.

Question: is the (MTA) busy getting a court ready for Nassau? I'm pretty sure the (MTA) would win the court.

My own thinking is that the MTA would rather dissolve L.I. Bus than pursue litigation.

Suppose that I wanted to hire a landscape contractor to mow my lawn. The contractor must agree to [1] accept whatever I feel like paying, whenever I feel like paying it; [2] maintain my mower at his expense; [3] cover my mortgage. Would any contractor accept my terms?? NO!! They would walk away, as the MTA pretty much wants to do now.

My own thinking is that the MTA would rather dissolve L.I. Bus than pursue litigation.

Suppose that I wanted to hire a landscape contractor to mow my lawn. The contractor must agree to [1] accept whatever I feel like paying, whenever I feel like paying it; [2] maintain my mower at his expense; [3] cover my mortgage. Would any contractor accept my terms?? NO!! They would walk away, as the MTA pretty much wants to do now.

Except the (MTA) still did 1, 2, and 3, even though they were bitching about it for god knows how long. Dissolving LI Bus is a lot cheaper than suing for whats just. At best, they'll either, keep the profitable parts of the agency (if there is any) and completely dissolve it into (MTA) Bus, or just tell the people of Nassau County to sit and spin, cut the loses on the buses and call it a wrap.

Apples and oranges.

An express bus and a subway perform similar functions (rapid access to the core). In some markets, the networks don't overlap (BxM11/(2) train), but they do in others (BxM4/(D) train). In the case of a local bus such as the N19, the local distribution is handled by the bus because the railroad is geared for access to and from the core. These are two completely different functions.

If the (MTA) decided to can both local bus service (i.e. (M5)) and express bus service that "paralleled" the subway, the subway system would be put under severe strain. They can barely keep the subway system running as it is now, so it's far from apples and oranges. Both the express bus and the local bus have an important role in keeping the subway system running.

In the case of the LIRR, yes, you're right to a degree.

Apples and oranges.

They are geared for different markets, but in the event that the local bus route is eliminated, the subway (or, in this case, the LIRR) could handle a portion of the local riders (capacity-wise anyway).

I know... Just so I'm clear, the MTA hasn't cut anything yet, right? Or did I miss something?

No, they haven’t.

If the (MTA) decided to can both local bus service (i.e. (M5)) and express bus service that "paralleled" the subway, the subway system would be put under severe strain. They can barely keep the subway system running as it is now, so it's far from apples and oranges. Both the express bus and the local bus have an important role in keeping the subway system running.

In the case of the LIRR, yes, you're right to a degree.

I doubt it, except at maybe the peak of the peak. Most lines (with the exceptions being the IRT express services and Queens Blvd Lines) have capacity for additional trains during rush hours. Remember: A bus can carry 80 people, whereas a train can carry 1,500 people, so you only need a couple of extra trains if your only goal was to accommodate those extra people.

The real purpose of those types of routes is, as JAzumah stated, to separate long-distance customers from short-distance customers (hence the term “local bus”). Express buses service a different function entirely-they are meant to ease long commutes in subway-less areas, or areas far from Manhattan in general (so people aren’t standing for most of the commute from, say, Wakefield to Midtown)

I doubt it, except at maybe the peak of the peak. Most lines (with the exceptions being the IRT express services and Queens Blvd Lines) have capacity for additional trains during rush hours. Remember: A bus can carry 80 people, whereas a train can carry 1,500 people, so you only need a couple of extra trains if your only goal was to accommodate those extra people.

The real purpose of those types of routes is, as JAzumah stated, to separate long-distance customers from short-distance customers (hence the term “local bus”). Express buses service a different function entirely-they are meant to ease long commutes in subway-less areas, or areas far from Manhattan in general (so people aren’t standing for most of the commute from, say, Wakefield to Midtown)

That's my point. The subway system here can barely handle a rainstorm without folding, so the idea of eliminating local bus lines or express buses for that matter doesn't sit well with me. I can remember well when I was living back in Brooklyn when I was Downtown in the city and there was an incident that shut down several trains to Brooklyn and I was practically stranded in the city. It took me almost 3 hours to get home and I was very thankful for the bus, which I used to help me get home. Subways carry more people and that's all gravy and such, but let something happen and you'll see how important buses are. The (MTA) and other transportation companies realize the need to revamp buses and make them co-exist more with the subway because they're cheaper to implement than rail setups and are far more flexible to re-route, etc.

In Long Island's case the buses serve a very important role that the LIRR simply can't fulfill regardless of the fact that it moves so many people.

Correct. But an LIRR train doesn't have as much standing room as the subway, and if intermediate ridership were to surge, the MTA would lose some revenue because the ticket collection rate on intermediates is pretty low. Heck, even my Hempstead-Jamaica LIRR ticket was never collected!

The Babylon Branch will see the brunt of the extra ridership, but it can handle it because it retains one track per direction even during the rush hour, whereas the mainline functions as a single-direction throat. Unfortunately, the only route with real LIRR alternatives is the N19. N79, the stations are too far apart, and the other routes only have one or two stations along their routes.

"But an LIRR train doesn't have as much standing room as the subway"

But it does have more seating than the subway, so that doesn't matter anyway.

They're commuter trains, not subways so the idea is to have more seats so that people won't have to stand, thus meaning that if people are standing it will be quite crazy since they're not designed for hoards of people to be standing. If those bus cuts go through that's what will llikely happen.

Archived