The Next NYC Subway

East New York

In my opinion, it's high time the MTA started being more aggressive with Capitol Construction programs.

In this thread, I want to discuss what I think needs to be the next subway project. I proposed something similar to the TA a few years back. The snapped up the idea, and plan, but the the economy tanked shortly after.

I decided to revise it, and have it address future transportation needs in the city.

I would like everyone to tell me what they think, as I would like to resubmit the plan to the TA. My original plan did not go north of LGA Airport.

Central New York Subway Line

Coney Island-Westchester Express/Super Express

Funding 2015-2019 Capitol Plan

Aprox cost $36 Billion including cars, equipment etc.

Construction (All phases) 2016-2032

Super Ex stops in black

Express stops in blue

CI - Brighton Beach B,Q

Emmons Av/Knapp St

Louis Av/Gerritsen Av

Kings Plaza

Flatbush Av/Flatlands Av

Flatbush Av/Bk College 2,5

Avenue D/Utica Av

Utica Av/Church Av

Utica Av/Empire Blvd

Crown Hgts. 3,4

Fulton St. A,C

Myrtle Av/Broadway J,M,Z

Flushing Av/Wilson Av

Flushing Av/Jefferson Av L

Flushing Av/Fresh Pond Road

Grand Av/79th St.

Queen Ctr Mall E,F,M,R via Flushing/Grand Avs

Junction Blvd 7

Junction Blvd/Astoria Blvd

LGA Airport

College Point Blvd/20 Av/127 St.

20 Av/Parsons Blvd

Whitestone Expwy/3 Av

Bruckner Interchange via Whitestone

Parkchester 6 via Cross Bx Expwy

West Farms Sq. 2,5

Corona Park-E. Tremont/3 Av

St. Barnabas Hosp.-3 Av/E.183 St.

Fordham Plaza via Tremont/3 Avs

Fordham Road B,D

Kingsbridge Road B,D via Gd Concourse Line

Bedford Park Blvd./Leman College 4,B,D via Gd Concourse Line

Kingsbridge - W. 231 St/Broadway 1

Riverdale Av/246 St

Riverdale Av/256 St

Westchester County Line via Riverdale Av

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually have drawn a cheap alternative it's called the Utica Avenue Light Rail. I also drew an extension of the (2), and (5) from it's current terminus in Brooklyn to Coney Island to give IRT riders a one seat ride to Coney Island, and to serve Mill Basin. Though my Utica Avenue Light Rail is actually part of my idea of a large (MTA) operated NYC Light Rail system.

This new line will be using existing ROW, correct?

For part of it.

I actually have drawn a cheap alternative it's called the Utica Avenue Light Rail. I also drew an extension of the (2), and (5) from it's current terminus in Brooklyn to Coney Island to give IRT riders a one seat ride to Coney Island, and to serve Mill Basin. Though my Utica Avenue Light Rail is actually part of my idea of a large (MTA) operated NYC Light Rail system.

Light Rail won't work on Utica.

For $36 billion in transit money, I'd rather it go toward the Gateway Project and starting the Next-Gen HSR (tunnel needs roughly $13 billion).

That's a good deal considering how long the line is, and the cost of trains is included. Not to mention a line through Central Bklyn is needed very bad.

Besides, we are talking about MTA here.

I know this line is suppose to be a "Super Express" but I don't think it would do Utica Av any justice since it only has two stops.

Utica Av would still be left with a huge gap of needed subway service.

Instead, I would make the line run straight down Utica right after Kings Plaza with stops at Flatlands Av & Av K, Av H, possibly Av D, Church Av is a definite, Empire Blvd and so on with your original plan.

I know this line is suppose to be a "Super Express" but I don't think it would do Utica Av any justice since it only has two stops.

I would make the line run straight down Utica right after Kings Plaza with stops at Flatlands Av & Av K, Av H, possibly Av D, Church Av is a definite, Empire Blvd and so on with your original plan.

It will have stops all along Utica. I guess I should have said that. Those are the Super express/major stops above. I will add in the regular stops in blue.

IRT riders will still transfer to quicker options along the Brighton or Sea Beach lines.

I redid my light rail map, and included the Hudson Bergen Light Rail. I also included the Tenafly Extension. Now you can see that my light rail idea helps the people that live by the HBLR. Oh yeah I am also making considerations to extend the brown line from JFK on down to the Rockaways.

I redid my light rail map, and included the Hudson Bergen Light Rail. I also included the Tenafly Extension. Now you can see that my light rail idea helps the people that live by the HBLR. Oh yeah I am also making considerations to extend the brown line from JFK on down to the Rockaways.

Not really. Why would anyone take your circuitous route north to the GWB and then back south? Better to just have the HBLR extension as it is supposed to happen. People will then take the HBLR from Bergen County to Hoboken and the PATH into NYC, which is a lot faster than your design.

Also, you didn't include any extension to Tenafly (north of Englewood)...Where is the Tenafly extension you're talking about?

This thread is not about anything light rail. It's is about the need for a New York City Subway to address the overcapacity issue in central Brooklyn, and provide more options for Queens and Bronx riders.

Looking at your map, would the line be built under Ocean Pkwy or on a viaduct like the (7) on Queens Blvd? If anything, another line in South Brooklyn should be bult further east and not on Ocean Pkwy since that area is not surved by subways at all and an Ocean Pkwy line would be between the Culver and the Brighton lines. Also, whay waste money building a line down Flatbush Av to Floyd Bennet? Also, where is that grey line running in Brooklyn?

Utica serves the throngs of people who live in parts of Canarsie and Flatlands areas that are not near the (L). Even though the (L) goes to Rockaway Pkwy, there is a lot of real estate between that station and Flatbush Av (even more than the current subway map depicts so don't use that as an estimate) going all the way down to Kings Plaza (which is in Marine Park technically, but those folks face the same problems as those in neighboring communities to the north).

This trianglar section of area is really the only part of Brooklyn that's nowhere near a subway line or a quick, direct stretch of road that heads toward downtown Brooklyn/Manhattan.

More then that this is a real proposal from 1969. The (4) was suppose to run down Utica Avenue, and the (2), (5) would have ran down to Sheepshead Bay.

NostrandUtica1969Map.jpg

This was from 1929 the same proposal was reinacted in 1939, and was never built.

NostrandUtica1929.jpg

The last plan with no pictures was from 1971. This proposal would have extended the (L) train down Utica Avenue from it's current terminus. This was never built either.

Archived