The Next NYC Subway

East New York

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since the bellmouths are from the local tracks, it would be the (3) on the Utica Line and the (4) on the New Lots Line.

Which would make more sense anyway with the terminals aligned the way they are. That also would make way for overnight (3) service. You can see they left options for a middle track along the Livonia structure and ways to directly access express tracks from north of Sutter Av. One has to wonder now that the neighborhood has developed whether to run it down Remsen instead (assuming (2)(5) to Kings Plaza) to pull some riders from the (L). Its foolish to run both lines down to Marine Park as that would be redundant as the Nostrand/Flatbush line would offer a quicker ride uptown than the Utica line (unless the Nostrand line continued down Nostrand towards Sheepshead Bay).

On a related note I wonder what feels like the quickest ride into midtown from Coney Island being that the (Q) to (:( hasnt returned yet.

Yeah it is. Though I really like the idea of extending the (L) down Utica Avenue. It could connect with the Rockaway Park Shuttle, and finally kill that darn (S).

There's no way of connecting the (L) to the (S)...do you have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for it?

Tell that to the Staten Islanders which never had a subway line to begin with. The only thing they have is the SIR to nowhere.

True, but central Brooklyn is the most congested area in the city. The B46 Utica Av line is the most heavily traveled in the city. That issue needs to be addressed by 2020.

I'm looking at the map and envisioning a line. Here it is, starting from the southern terminal.

Sheepshead Bay (:)(Q)

Av Y/Bedford Av

Av V/Nostrand Av

Av U/E 36th St

Flatbush Av/Utica Av

Flatlands Av

Kings Hwy-Foster Av [exits on both sides]

Church Av

Empire Blvd

Eastern Pkwy (3)(4)

at which point it turns on to those tracks and runs as a local with the (2)(3)(4)(5), terminating at Pelham Bay Park and being a dedicated Bronx express and Manhattan local. Green 8.

If all the Bronxites living under the IRT tracks were able to get by with the tracks above them, why did those "men in the real estate business" in Manhattan want the els torn down? As if putting the SAS off for 81 years was bad enough, the Third Avenue El was supposed to stay up until the SAS was at least built... and look what happened to that.

I don't think we should drill any new subway lines, but use existing infrastructure. Like this I will extend the current Nostrand Avenue Line (2), (5) to Coney Island to give IRT residents a one seat ride to the beach during the summer, and to relief crowding. I would also drill a Utica Avenue Subway using the (L), and link it to the Rockaway Park (S). The Utica Avenue Subway would have 4 tracks dug via cut, and cover. The (L) would run as the Utica Avenue express, and the (H) would be the local. The section of the Canarise Line between to Dekalb Avenue would be made into one straight line, and it would be redug cut and cover with 4 tracks, and the (H) would run express here.

Thus service would go like this on the Canarsie Line

(L) Canarsie Local-Utica Avenue Express

23rd Street to Ozone Park-Lefferts Avenue.

(H) Canarsie Express-Utica Avenue Local

23rd Street to Far Rockaway-Mott Avenue.

I don't think we should drill any new subway lines, but use existing infrastructure.

I would also drill a Utica Avenue Subway using the (L), and link it to the Rockaway Park (S).

...Contradiction much? My link to Crown Heights would give more riders potentially faster access to downtown Brooklyn and the east side.

Wait I proposed cut and cover. It is intrusive, but fast. At least it would be faster then Second Avenue, but I also proposed rebuilding the Canarsie Line to remove that curve between Dekalb, and Grantham Avenue, and rebuild it as a four track line around there for express service. Any express service here would be skipping almost 5 stations so it would be a quick trip to Manhattan. Plus the (L) would be express along Utica Avenue. The (H) would be an express on Canarsie it's a win win situation.

Well you said drilling then cut and cover, so which is it?. Either way, the (L) alignment would require more people to transfer, while running it with the (4)(5) would give those riders a one-seat [magic word] ride to lower Manhattan and the east side.

We could go with my other plan. Extend the (6) down Worth Street creating the Worth Street Line. At Utica Avenue have either the (3) or (4) join to join the (6) to create local and express service down Utica Avenue. This would be a good idea if you want to link the Lexington Avenue Line, and the Seventh Avenue Line to Utica Avenue. Though the benefits of the (L), (H) idea is to create Canarsie express service, to get rid of the Rockaway Park (S), and to relieve the (A) from branching all over the place. The IRT lines will not do this.

Most of the plans you all are talking about sound okay, but why do all this extending, and other stuff. That's not going to address the issues. We need a dedicated North-South BMT/IND standard subway line from south Brooklyn to at least LGA Airport. It has been needed for decades just like SAS. Connections are available to every East-West crosstown line.

Archived