The Next NYC Subway

East New York

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Utica Avenue, and Nostrand Avenue if we really want to go cheap should have BRT. A dedicated ROW, and these double articulated buses would help relieve crowding around there. These buses are amazing, and they work in many other cities. The reason why they are amazing is they can carry 270 people seated, and another 200 standing seating 470 people. They can carry more people then a light rail line, more people then a regular bus, though less then a subway line.

Here is what one would look like.

2496755096_c31f79c032.jpg

PS Nostrand Avenue is going to have BRT soon.

citywide_map.gif

Nostrand%20Ave.jpg

What's wrong with an IRT Extension off the Eastern Pkwy Line? Build it to be compatible with both A and B Division standards. Make the A division use only temporary until it gets connected to a B division train (or the IRT is converted to B division :( ).

Subway extensions don't come cheap. I have tried, and the cheapest, and fastest methods for subway construction is elevated lines which won't work due to NIMBYISM, and the other one is cut, and cover which is cheap, and fast, but is annoying, and extremely intrusive, and oh yeah did I forget to mention the cut, and cover method is an earthquake hazard. The cheapest, and easiest way to serve NYC is to use two things that won't take long. They are light rail, and bus rapid transit. So far the (MTA) has adopted bus rapid transit. So the best thing is to expand it, and to buy the double articulated buses I pointed out earlier to serve it. Light rail can serve Staten Island, and cross the Verrazano on the upper level. The BRT can use the lower level. Thus there would be 8 lanes for regular traffic, 2 lanes for light rail, and 2 BRT dedicated lanes on the lower level.

RoadCruiser, if you continue with your blasted (G) any longer, I'm going to get the MTA to shut it down completely.

What we need IMO:

Some rail link to LGA.

Some rail/expanded bus service on Utica.

More cross-boro buses.

That's pretty much it.

Rail and/or expanded bus service on Utica will not work. I can tell from many of these responses than many of you have not traveled down Utica often or at all in some cases.

What's wrong with an IRT Extension off the Eastern Pkwy Line? Build it to be compatible with both A and B Division standards. Make the A division use only temporary until it gets connected to a B division train (or the IRT is converted to B division :( ).

How can you make a branch of an IRT line?

How can something be compatible with both A and B divisions without spending unnecessary money on platform spacers? And why on Earth would anybody do that anyway?

Subway extensions don't come cheap. I have tried, and the cheapest, and fastest methods for subway construction is elevated lines which won't work due to NIMBYISM, and the other one is cut, and cover which is cheap, and fast, but is annoying, and extremely intrusive, and oh yeah did I forget to mention the cut, and cover method is an earthquake hazard.

Rail and/or expanded bus service on Utica will not work. I can tell from many of these responses than many of you have not traveled down Utica often or at all in some cases.

Again. The point of this is because rail and or expanded bus/SBS is not a viable option for Utica Av. The only enjoyment I ever got out of anything that had to do with Utica Av was RTS buses. And even then, I only use that line when going to the bus Roadeo, or when I absolutely had too. Utica is a traffic nightmare! The fact that the street is narrow is what really makes things worse. This issue absolutely has to be addressed by MTA and the DOT by 2020.

Then you would have no other choice, but an elevated line if you demand such a short construction time. You would have NIMBY's from Mill Basin complaining that this line would darken the Avenue of Utica. You want a fast construction time for a subway line the only two things you can build is either an El, or cut, and cover, and the cut, and cover method can take 4-8 years, and become a pain just like the Second Avenue Subway. If BRT, or Light Rail never works then I want you to look at cities that have employed these systems, and are successful. In fact NYC has BRT it's the select bus service. The M15 runs on Second Avenue, and the residents are happy with that service. It worked on the East Side of Manhattan it's bound to work on Utica.

Then you would have no other choice, but an elevated line if you demand such a short construction time. You would have NIMBY's from Mill Basin complaining that this line would darken the Avenue of Utica.

That won't work. Utica can't support an EL either. A subway is the ONLY thing that would help.

Second Avenue is the best example of a subway line under construction. Maybe you should spend some time at 96th Street, and Second Avenue, and see how Mill Basin would respond to this. Maybe you would like to know the length of Second Avenue which is 8 miles. You would also like to know that even if this line gets completed it would be in the 2040's-2050's. If a Utica Avenue Subway had it's construction today it would be 2060 before the line is done. It will not provide relief in time. A Staten Island subway would also take that long. That is why light rail, and BRT is the best option.

By rail, I meant surface, elevated, or subway. In this case, apparently subway is the only thing that can help.

How can you make a branch of an IRT line?

By extending it:confused:?

How can something be compatible with both A and B divisions without spending unnecessary money on platform spacers? And why on Earth would anybody do that anyway?

All that has to happen is that the tunnels will be to B-Div specs, with the trip stops on both sides. The platforms will temporarily be A Div until they get chopped back.

Again. The point of this is because rail and or expanded bus/SBS is not a viable option for Utica Av. The only enjoyment I ever got out of anything that had to do with Utica Av was RTS buses. And even then, I only use that line when going to the bus Roadeo, or when I absolutely had too. Utica is a traffic nightmare! The fact that the street is narrow is what really makes things worse. This issue absolutely has to be addressed by MTA and the DOT by 2020.

Well since a subway WILL NOT happen by 2020:tdown:, here's a quite radical, anti-NIMBY, but workable, plan:

-Place large parking garages every few blocks on Utica.

-Ban parking on Utica.

-In place of the parking lane, make an SBS lane. (see end of post for more)

-Forbid truck deliveries on weekdays.

-On weekends, SBS buses will run in mixed traffic. Bus lanes will be for deliveries.

-Enforce said rules harshly.

SBS route: This would run in the following manner:

From Kings Plaza:

1. Via the current B46 route, in bus lanes, to Atlantic Av/Utica Av.

2. Via Atlantic Av, to Bedford Av.

3. Via the planned B44 SBS route to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza.

To Kings Plaza is the same only in reverse.

Suggestions/comments/protests?:cool:

SBS=BRT the same thing just in case no one here knows what SBS is. Also the spacing between stations on the Select Bus Service (SBS/BRT) is the same distance between a regular subway station. Oh yeah from the picture earlier in case no one got enough detail of that double articulated bus you can take a better look from this picture, and they don't know about these buses. Another thing you can tell that this bus is super long. It would most likely work in places where subway lines won't go to for a long time, and it can use bridges that exist in NYC like the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge to provide a ride from Brooklyn to the Bronx without the hassle of going through Manhattan.

4032199022_3d8ac717b8_z.jpg?zz=1

I used the B46 every day back in high school, I know exactly how it is. Once you hit the bottom of the hill at ENY Av/Empire Blvd, that's where the nightmare begins. You got the never ending masses of dorrar vans and delivery trucks all up and down that hill. Once you hit Eastern Pkwy, that's when things get worse. Its all 2 lanes from Eastern Pkwy to Fulton St and from Fulton St (that's when Utica Av becomes Malcolm X. Blvd) all the way to Broadway. SBS will not help at all in those places and neither will a light rail cuz it would just make thing a whole lot worse.

BTW, that bus is not gonna help AT ALL. If a RTS has trouble passing other vehicles in some stretches of Utica Av, imaging what that thing would do :tdown:

Guest lance25

And what street would you use? There's a reason why buses usually travel on primary roads like Utica Avenue or Flatbush Avenue, because the neighboring side streets aren't nearly as wide or as long as the major ones.

Guest lance25

Utica & Flatbush intersect at Kings Plaza. What about the rest of the area. It's not as though Utica & Flatbush run parallel to each other.

Not to be mean or anything, but please don't look into a job that has anything to do with city planning.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Then pernamently close traffic to one of the less important streets, and have the SBS bus use only that street. No cars, trucks, or vans are allowed to drive onto the street.

Almost all of the streets that run parallel to Utica Av dead ends around Avenue H or Glenwood Rd for that freight ROW so there's no other place for them to go

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Almost all of the streets that run parallel to Utica Av dead ends around Avenue H or Glenwood Rd for that freight ROW so there's no other place for them to go

Ralph Av goes a little farther, still wouldn't help much thou.

Here is the idea. When the Utica Avenue SBS Bus reaches the intersections of Kings Highway, and Utica Avenue have the bus head on to Kings Highway which is wide enough. At the intersection of Kings Highway, and Flatbush Avenue it would turn again towards Flatbush Avenue, and head on down to Kings Plaza where the bus would terminate. This time I used Google Earth, Google Maps, and Google Streetview so I was able to see the traffic density, and know which avenue was less dense, and which avenue would be able to handle the SBS Bus.

Hey at least this time I studied, and checked can you guys please just give me a chance, because I didn't check Google Maps.

Ralph Av goes a little farther, still wouldn't help much thou.

Ralph Av is about half a mile away and that's one of the main streets that goo all the way up

Here is the idea. When the Utica Avenue SBS Bus reaches the intersections of Kings Highway, and Utica Avenue have the bus head on to Kings Highway which is wide enough. At the intersection of Kings Highway, and Flatbush Avenue it would turn again towards Flatbush Avenue, and head on down to Kings Plaza where the bus would terminate. This time I used Google Earth, Google Maps, and Google Streetview so I was able to see the traffic density, and know which avenue was less dense, and which avenue would be able to handle the SBS Bus.

Hey at least this time I studied, and checked can you guys please just give me a chance, because I didn't check Google Maps.

Once again, its not gonna work. Its still too far away from Utica Av

I think Ralph Avenue might work. It's only a kilometer away from Utica Avenue. Listen if Ralph Avenue, Utica Avenue, and Flatbush Avenue won't work then I can't figure anything out. I am looking at the map right now trying to figure a solution. You can't bash me for trying. No matter what a good planner, architect, or engineer won't give up unless if there are NIMBY's which I don't see.

Archived