Official Surface Transit Trivia

East New York

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Q32 is now the third designation for said route. What were they previously?

1974-1990: M32

1925-1974: #15 (Fifth Avenue Coach, then MaBSTOA)

=================================================================================

Next question: While the current Q32 was operating as #15, what other Manhattan route(s) also carried the #15 label?

Bonus 1: How many other duplicate numbers were there in Manhattan?

Bonus 2: What route did Fifth Avenue Coach operate entirely outside Manhattan? What was its original number? What was its number at the time it was discontinued?

1974-1990: M32

1925-1974: #15 (Fifth Avenue Coach, then MaBSTOA)

=================================================================================

Next question: While the current Q32 was operating as #15, what other Manhattan route(s) also carried the #15 label?

Bonus 1: How many other duplicate numbers were there in Manhattan?

Bonus 2: What route did Fifth Avenue Coach operate entirely outside Manhattan? What was its original number? What was its number at the time it was discontinued?

This is a great question guys and gals! No guesses at all???

Okay...I'll take a random guess.

1) The old #15 was one of the current M14s.

2) 3 duplicate numbers?

3)???:confused:

(1) The other #15 was the 23rd Street Crosstown (later M26, now M23), formerly operated by New York Omnibus Corp. In addition to both #15 routes, there was East Side Omnibus Corp.'s M15 Second Avenue, which ran two-way on Second Avenue.

(2) Actually, every Fifth Avenue Coach route number was duplicated by New York Omnibus Corp., which made things quite confusing when FACO bought out NYOC! On top of those were the "M" routes operated by Comprehensive/East Side Omnibus Corp. (M1, M3, M7, M11, M13, M15) and Avenue B & East Broadway (M8, M9).

(3) The non-Manhattan FACO route was the #16-Elmhurst Crosstown, later Q89.

Fifth Avenue Coach routes:

1 - Fifth Avenue

2 - Fifth & Seventh Avenues

3 - Fifth & St, Nicholas Avenues

4 - Fifth Av - Riverside Drive - Broadway - Fort Washington

5 - Fifth Av - Riverside Drive - 135th Street - Broadway

6 - 72nd Street

15 - Fifth Avenue & Jackson Heights

16 - Elmhurst Crosstown

19 - Fifth Av - Riverside Drive - 157th Street - Broadway

20 - 57th Street Crosstown

New York Omnibus Routes:

1 - Madison Avenue

2 - Madison & Lenox Avenues

3 - Lexington Avenue

4 - Lexington & Lenox Avenues

5 - 6th Avenue - Washington Square

6 - 6th Avenue

7 - 6th/Columbus/Lenox Avenues

8 - 7th Avenue

9 - 7th Avenue - Washington Square

10 - 8th Avenue & Central Park West

11 - 9th/Columbus/Amsterdam Avenues

12 - Delancey Street

13 - 8th Street

14 - 14th Street

15 - 23rd Street

16 - 34th Street

17 - 79th Street

18 - 86th Street

19 - 96th Street

20 - 106th/116th Streets

21 - Houston Street

22 - Pike Street

TB - Triboro Bridge

• 4 weeks later...
In 1985, when Green Bus Lines took delivery of their new RTS coaches, they were originally supposed to be numbered 221-268. Bus 221, was renumbered as 10001. Why was this?

Because it was the 10,001st RTS to be built by General Motors. I know this because this info was given at the Bus Festival.

Because it was the 10,001st RTS to be built by General Motors. I know this because this info was given at the Bus Festival.

I should have asked this question before Bus Fest. Damn.... I'm still going to keep it simple., seeing as the questions I had posted as of late seemen to be a bit too hard.

What depot has the most buses manufactured by Orion?

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I should have asked this question before Bus Fest. Damn.... I'm still going to keep it simple., seeing as the questions I had posted as of late seemen to be a bit too hard.

What depot has the most buses manufactured by Orion?

Its either Castleton or Yukon...Staten Island is Orion Town lol

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Nope. West Farms has nearly 100 more Orion buses than Yukon does. (245 of them)

That is incorrect sir. The depot in question has only 100 buses less than what both CAS and YUK have combined!!:P

***It might seem like Staten Island is Orion Town because the borough's local fleet consists of 100% Orion buses, but it's only an illusion. There really aren't that many of them.

Nope. West Farms has nearly 100 more Orion buses than Yukon does. (245 of them)

That is correct! West Farms has more Orion buses than any other depot. Casey Stengel comes in at #2, and Long Island's Mitchel Field Depot, comes in at #3. CAS makes #4 on the list.

My bad... I sure did. Don't know how I missed it, but yes you were obviously right. I'm burned out. Anyone else have some trivia??

I got one...on the standard RTS, the transmission is an Allison V731. On the other hand, one the Cummins buses, er I mean bus (9140 is the only 1 left now lol) the the transmission is an Allison V731RH. Anyone know what the RH is for?

I got one...on the standard RTS, the transmission is an Allison V731. On the other hand, one the Cummins buses, er I mean bus (9140 is the only 1 left now lol) the the transmission is an Allison V731RH. Anyone know what the RH is for?

I know that the R stands for Retarder. I'm not sure about the H.

I know that the R stands for Retarder. I'm not sure about the H.

It basically means the rotation of the transmission. On the standard V730 transmission, the transmission spins counter-clockwise (to the left). But for some reason, the Cummins M11E engine makes the transmission spin the opposite direction, clockwise (to the right)

Either way, that's still the best RTS on the road :P

It basically means the rotation of the transmission. On the standard V730 transmission, the transmission spins counter-clockwise (to the left). But for some reason, the Cummins M11E engine makes the transmission spin the opposite direction, clockwise (to the right)

Either way, that's still the best RTS on the road :P

Any RTS on the road is the beat IMO.

Speaking of which. What TA was the last operator to take delivery of an RTS?

Clue: This occured in December of 2006.

Any RTS on the road is the beat IMO.

Speaking of which. What TA was the last operator to take delivery of an RTS?

Clue: This occured in December of 2006.

Wasn't it some company in Arizona (I think) and it was the RTS Extreme

Wasn't it some company in Arizona (I think) and it was the RTS Extreme

Nope. Not AZ, and no Extremes have ever been delivered. I really should not have posted this because it's not pertaining to MTA.

Archived