Official Surface Transit Trivia

East New York

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Charles
Yes that is correct! The M8, and M9 were the only 2 routes operated by which pre-MaBSTOA private line??

Avenue B and East Broadway Transit Company?

That is correct!! icon14.gif

Next Question: The Avenue B and East Broadway Transit Corp. was the only bus operator in New York City, (or anywere else in the nation for that matter) to deploy what rare type of 35ft bus??

DesignLine Mark IV Hybrid? I still got the newspaper for it. :P

That's a given, but why do models from 2 different manufacturers have the same basic design?

Ain't that the same as Gmc Nova and TMC all making RTS? 3 different companies making the same bus!?

I dunno. I just wanted to say something. I truthfully dunno the answer!

Ain't that the same as Gmc Nova and TMC all making RTS? 3 different companies making the same bus!?

I dunno. I just wanted to say something. I truthfully dunno the answer!

It's different because it was not like the RTS situation, which actually has 4 manufactures, who produced the bus at different times. If anything, it's more like the Bombardier/Kawasaki relationship..... but not really...;)

GM was afraid of an antitrust lawsuit against their very successful line of buses, the New Looks, so they aided Flxible in producing their version, intentionally hurting their own, even providing GM engines for use in Flxible buses.

Hey you cheated!!!! j/k!! ;) That is correct!!

Next Question: Why does Detroit Diesel no longer offer their engines in transit buses??

Hey you cheated!!!! j/k!! ;) That is correct!!

Next Question: Why does Detroit Diesel no longer offer their engines in transit buses??

They are not up to standards in terms of environmental friendliness?

Hey you cheated!!!! j/k!! B) That is correct!!

No, I just read Wikipedia all the time because I'm incredibly bored... and I visit the New Look page often... ;)

I know this one from Wiki too (or at least part of the answer)... Daimler Chrysler owns GMDD now, and they don't want to offer any GMDD engine in a non-Daimler vehicle... why? I don't know. :confused:

No, I just read Wikipedia all the time because I'm incredibly bored... and I visit the New Look page often... ;)

I know this one from Wiki too (or at least part of the answer)... Daimler Chrysler owns GMDD now, and they don't want to offer any GMDD engine in a non-Daimler vehicle... why? I don't know. :confused:

No, that's not it. They don't even offer the DD it in the Orion's anymore either. Chrysler owned DD, then DaimlerChrysler was created, and when the two companies split Daimler assumed all the assets except Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep. Now that it is Daimler AG again some things have changed.

HINT: Orion

I found from Google that..........

U.S.A., exhaust emissions from city buses fueled by diesel are not characterized well because current emission standards require engine tests rather than tests of whole vehicles. Labortories gathered realistic emission data from heavy-duty vehicles, including buses, tested in simulated driving conditions. A subset of these data has been utilized for a comprehensive introspection into the trends of regulated emissions from transit buses over the last 7 years, which has been prompted by continuously tightening restrictions on one hand, along with remarkable technological progress, on the other hand. Two widely used models of diesel engines manufactured by the Detroit Diesel Corporation (DDC) have been selected as a case-study for such an overview, based on full-scale, on-site testing of actual city buses, driven in accordance with the SAE J1376 standard of a Commercial Business District (CBD) cycle.

..............................Meaning it unfriendly?

Archived