Question about past 6 to 125

Rell

The 138th Street-Third Avenue station has the switches necessary to allow the #6 train to be a shuttle from 125th Street and the Bronx.

The south bound #6 would leave 138th Street-Third Avenue station on the normal south bound track to 125th Street-Lexington Avenue.

The train operator would walk to the end of the train and start the controls from that point, returning to the vicinity of the 138th Street-Third Avenue station, using the very same track that was just traveled south. Just before the station is switch that routes the train to the normal uptown local track allowing the train to enter 138th Street-Third Avenue.

That is why users traveling uptown on the #4 train needing the #6 shuttle train had to go downstairs to get the shuttle. Plenty of times folks had to race downstairs to meet the train, since the wait could be 20 or 40 minutes between shuttle trains. I really hated that shuttle operation, it lasted for 20 years. Getting rid of that #6 shuttle was one of the few things that Mayor Rudy G. did right, in my opinion.

Mike

The 138th Street-Third Avenue station has the switches necessary to allow the #6 train to be a shuttle from 125th Street and the Bronx.

The south bound #6 would leave 138th Street-Third Avenue station on the normal south bound track to 125th Street-Lexington Avenue.

The train operator would walk to the end of the train and start the controls from that point, returning to the vicinity of the 138th Street-Third Avenue station, using the very same track that was just traveled south. Just before the station is switch that routes the train to the normal uptown local track allowing the train to enter 138th Street-Third Avenue.

That is why users traveling uptown on the #4 train needing the #6 shuttle train had to go downstairs to get the shuttle. Plenty of times folks had to race downstairs to meet the train, since the wait could be 20 or 40 minutes between shuttle trains. I really hated that shuttle operation, it lasted for 20 years. Getting rid of that #6 shuttle was one of the few things that Mayor Rudy G. did right, in my opinion.

Mike

Agreed, especially since a lot of stations and lines do benefit with two locals at night rather than just one.

Archived