The orion VI is coming back into service!!!

trainfan22

Orion paid MTA to keep them out of service but I think the bus shortage called for desperate measures. It's not pretty, every type of bus except an RTS is braking down regularly (from what I've seen) and the O5's have been hit worst...

The Orion VI if I remember correctly, is 100% low-floor, has extremely comfortable seats (6350-53) and had the engine taking up room in the back of the bus on the left side. One problem I vaguely remember from a run on the M96 was the bus handles crowds worse than the O7's do.

Wonder what they are going to do with 6350-6354.

Do you have an exterior photo of one?

Orion had (MTA) pull them from service because the Lockheed Hybrid System and batteries expired. This was around the time Orion went with BAE for the Orion VII. I thought they would be sold or go back to Orion.

I have 2 questions. What is BAE and if the Lockeed Hybrid system (whatever that is) and the batteries expired, what keeps them running today?

Not sure what depot but I knoe that all units are supossed to be back in service in 2008.

Well, we're currently living in the year 2008........

I think its pretty obvious they'll be in service this year because work is bring done on them now to enter service as soon as they can.

I have 2 questions. What is BAE and if the Lockeed Hybrid system (whatever that is) and the batteries expired, what keeps them running today?

BAE is a British Aerospace Engineering Company. The batteries are sufficient enough to move the buses, but not to put them in service. Whatever the original problem was promped Orion to drop Lockheed for BAE.

I been on these things when they was in manhattanville and I really don't like these buses. They are slow, and ugly on the inside....

Oh noes it sounds like they are just like the hidius orion VII. But the outside looks cool though it reminds of the flexibles. Btw do you remember what the engine sounds like?

Not to go off topic here, but what's the difference between an Orion VII and A Orion VI? I googled them and they both look the same.
Orion VI CNG and HEV doesn't have the thing at the top, the VII is more boxy, one is a complete low floor, and VII isn't crap that bursts into flames all the time.

VI HEV

nycorion21.jpg

VII HEV

diesel-hybrid.jpg

VII CNG

nycorionvii11.jpg

Now i remember the O6 back in '99. The accelleration was crap. I must admit that the O7's jump like jackrabbits! If they put the same batteries and propultion in the O6 AS THE O7, they could be around for a while. And i think the O6 could hold more standies than the O7!

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some pics of these buses at ENY storage. There not the greatest pics. i was taking care of some buisness in the ENY area. So i stoped by the storage lot to take a look at them....

P6050062.jpg

This is rare an orion V in brooklyn OMG!!!!

P6050063.jpg

P6050065.jpg

It looked like one VI got its back painted so far...

P6050067.jpg

The buses that are there ( Except the O6) are they receiving upgrades?

There are RTSs there in that ENY storage lot. They are repowred RTSs so i doubt that they are getting an upgrade. There are rumors that those RTSs were going to get scraped. But with this bus shortage i doubt thats true.

And on a side note the LIC storage lot is empty. I rode past it on thu on the (7) train.

And that orion V thats there got into an addident i think...

Yeah just check on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_models_used_in_New_York_City_Transit_and_MTA_Bus

It is returning to service after it will be built to MTA Specs.

Rumors has it return to Staten Island

This is true. They will be going to Yukon.

Where is East New York Storage Yards

A block southwest of the ENY Depot. Off Fulton

Where is East New York Storage Yards

You take ethier the (A)(C)(J) or (L) line's to boadway junction. Once you leave fare control you make a right walk down one block and make a left. And boom your there

You can also take the (J) to alabama ave also...

Archived