"Subway" or "subway"?

Tokkemon

A bit of an odd debate going on regarding Wikipedia's "New York City Subway" article. One user requests a move to change it to "New York City subway" citing that the word subway is not a proper noun but a descriptive one. What are your opinions? I'd encourage you to weigh in on the talk page below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:New_York_City_Subway#Requested_move

Guest lance25

Who...cares...?

In a world where our musicians spell their names with a dollar sign instead of an "S" and the "g" is slowly being replaced by a "q", I don't think the capitalization of one word will really make a difference.

The fact that this even became an issue is imbecilic. But to put in my two cents anyway, because the (MTA) uses the capital S when using the whole phrase "New York City Subway" the article should retain the capital S.

It's like spelling your name "Bucket" but pronouncing it like the word "bouquet". It is contingent upon the authority in possession of the phrase to dictate the phrase's spelling, pronunciation, capitalization and whatnot, but then that way of representing it must be followed when using that phrase, whether grammatically correct or not.

i gave them a bit of a hard time and pointed out how asnine it is to demand articles for proof when I gave them the offical logo that's plastered on both sides of every car the TA owns. the guy is citing books, we're citing reality.

Ah, that was you?

:tup:

this one must have too much free time. He keep swinging back to the fact MTA.info keeps using lower case every time we bring the MTA up, even after the logo is brought up

So ask him why he is taking the words of these "scholarly papers" as he puts it over an OFFICIAL logo issued by the PARENT ORGANIZATION. Obviously, since the (MTA) typeset it that way on their OFFICIAL logo, that is how they want it. Bring up the bucket bouquet argument if you need to.

"Right, I haven't looked at MTA much. If we ignore them, then what is left but books?"

WTF kind of argument is this? "Oh, I never looked at how the parent organization wanted to spell it, so why don't we just ignore that and look at something else?"

This guy is just pulling things out of his ass now.

If the signs denoting subway entrances are say "Subway". Then it should be called "Subway" as well

Not a valid argument. If that was true, than we should also call the Broadway-stop "Brodaway", since the signs says so.

I agree that it is "Subway" though.

Whomever:P

I'm not sure if you're being serious or ironic, but it is whoever. Whoever taught these cats grammar, whomever they learned grammar from, should be ashamed. 'Cause of something about subjects and objects. See this or this bit from The Office with nauseatingly thorough analysis.

As for the matter and hand, the MTA seems to use "subway". An encyclopedia should be right. For folks just shootin' the breeze, who cares?

The word subway is a generic term for a metro.

Contextually, here, the Subway refers to the New York City metro system.

Since the term "New York City Subway" is used as a branding, it's perfectly acceptable to use that term, with a capitalized S.

WTF kind of argument is this? "Oh, I never looked at how the parent organization wanted to spell it, so why don't we just ignore that and look at something else?"

This guy is just pulling things out of his ass now.

That was his entire argument. Childish fights like that are why I stopped editing.

Archived