Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
NX Express

News: Report: SBS fare enforcement netting $1.4M Since October

Carly Baldwin in Metro today has one of those Select Bus Service fare enforcement stories I just love. Alexander Barton, a 27-year-old accountant who apparently had not heard about the new service, tried to hop on a bus without paying. He alleges that the bus driver waved him on and said the MetroCard reader was “broken.” Meanwhile, other passengers tried to explain the pre-board payment system to Barton, but MTA cops gave him a $100 ticket when he couldn’t procure his proof-of-payment receipt. “The thing that extremely frustrates me is, I was totally unaware I’d done anything wrong,” said Barton.

It’s easy to laugh at the he said-he said battle between a rider who didn’t know about the Select Bus Service changes and a bus rider who denied wrong-doing, but there’s a different story at work here. According to Baldwin, the MTA has issued over 14,000 $100 tickets to those who could not procure proof-of-payment on the M15 Select Bus Service routes since October. That’s a whopping $1.4 million in revenue and an average of around 94 tickets a day.

Customers can’t be happy about it, and advocacy groups aren’t either. Transportation Alternatives, a group that has long fought for faster buses, bemoaned enforcement while Gene Russianoff made a rather obtuse point to Metro. “Clearly, education is an issue,” he says. “I can’t imagine issuing a million dollars’ worth of tickets in a country like Sweden, where they’ve had off-board fare collection for years.” For now, though, if we want buses to move faster, if we want people to pay before they board and keep the new Select Bus Service moving, a ticket blitz has become a part of that education process. Talk about tough love. ·

Source and read comments: http://secondavenuesagas.com/2011/02/28/report-sbs-fare-enforcement-netting-1-4m/

Good. More tickets now=less tickets/violations in the future. People need to learn that this is for their own good (faster bus service).

People just need to learn and stop acting like the world is suppose to bend over for them. SBS has been around for a while now...fail on those who thought it started yesterday.

Usually drivers will point to the machine and say you need to get a ticket if you try and put your metro-card in the farebox. If you get on any bus through the back doors, you're most likely trying to evade the fare and deserve that ticket.

The system really isn't that complicated.

On President Day, after I got off Bx22, got WB Bx12SBS and make sure no one was waiting for Bx55 and I remember there was only 3 people did not know about Bx12SBS when I was waiting for WB Bx12SBS at Fordham Plaza. I almost hard heart attack because Bx12SBS has been since 3 years ago!

I hate the idiots in Bronx who walk into the 12 SBS and when the driver asks for the recipt of there ride, they say, "It blew in the wind."

The driver once told a lady, "Go chase it down Fordham!" and closed the doors in her face.

I hate the idiots in Bronx who walk into the 12 SBS and when the driver asks for the recipt of there ride, they say, "It blew in the wind."

The driver once told a lady, "Go chase it down Fordham!" and closed the doors in her face.

I'm so gonna use that...lol j/k, but the bus driver's reply was epic!

I would like to know where them fare inspectors are on the Bx12SBS. It seems like they all flocked to friggin Manhattan when the people I really wouldn't trust are in the Bronx. For that matter, they need fare inspectors AND the NYPD at Gun Hill and White Plains Rd for the Bx28/30/38. Oh and Gun Hill by the (5) too.

Today's lesson kids: You don't pay $2.25, you end up paying $100. Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Why would you have a heart attack? Maybe they weren't locals or just ignorant?

I meant shock.

I think they might have been tourists.

There's no excuse as to why anyone can't see the machines obviously placed in the bus stop shelter. They're there for a reason.

There's no excuse as to why anyone can't see the machines obviously placed in the bus stop shelter. They're there for a reason.

When passengers see M15 SBS, they ran for it. Some people at local stops are still confuse.

People cursing when SBS passed.

Another time, when M15 SBS Northbound passed by Brooklyn Bridge, one man was furious and said, "Hey!!"

When passengers see M15 SBS, they ran for it. Some people at local stops are still confuse.

People cursing when SBS passed.

Another time, when M15 SBS Northbound passed by Brooklyn Bridge, one man was furious and said, "Hey!!"

That dude was stupid since there's no SBS stop there. His fault.

Again, its really not that complicated.

People just need to learn and stop acting like the world is suppose to bend over for them. SBS has been around for a while now...fail on those who thought it started yesterday.

While that is true, my only issue with that is that when the M15 +SBS+ debuted, people keep calling others who arent familiar with the Bx12 +SBS+, morons or dumbasses and such. The +SBS+ concept will be new to anyone & everyone in the five boroughs, especially to the people who have never taken the M15 or Bx12 +SBS+.

Most certainly you didnt see a herd of people from Manhattan or the rest of the boroughs trying out the Bx12 +SBS+ for the hell of it, same goes for the M15 +SBS+. These people arent like us busfans so the concept would be completely new to them in more ways than one. I've been preaching this in many of the other related M15 +SBS+ threads up and around here.

When the B44 & S79 +SBS+ makes their debut, do not be surprised if you see a whole load of complaints like how they dont know how to use the system, they get fines, ect ect ect, it's expected no matter what, it's inevitable

Yeah, more money for the (MTA) in the long run. I haven't seen fare inspectors as much on the Bx12 SBS anymore, my last recent run-in was when the LFSAs were making their debut on the Bx12 SBS and the D60s were still king of the route, up to now I haven't had any guys bumrush the bus looking for tickets! LOL

Slighly little off-topic, when (NJT) debut GoBus 25 and #28 (limited version of local route), lots of folks were confused at regular #25 and #28 stop.

When B38, B82, Bx36, Q6, Q10, Q25, Q36, Q50, Q58, Q65 launched LTD service, local riders were confused.

While that is true, my only issue with that is that when the M15 +SBS+ debuted, people keep calling others who arent familiar with the Bx12 +SBS+, morons or dumbasses and such. The +SBS+ concept will be new to anyone & everyone in the five boroughs, especially to the people who have never taken the M15 or Bx12 +SBS+.

Most certainly you didnt see a herd of people from Manhattan or the rest of the boroughs trying out the Bx12 +SBS+ for the hell of it, same goes for the M15 +SBS+. These people arent like us busfans so the concept would be completely new to them in more ways than one. I've been preaching this in many of the other related M15 +SBS+ threads up and around here.

When the B44 & S79 +SBS+ makes their debut, do not be surprised if you see a whole load of complaints like how they dont know how to use the system, they get fines, ect ect ect, it's expected no matter what, it's inevitable

I first used a similar system back in Europe that I had never used before. It was explained to me once and that was it. You go to a tabacchi stand in this case to get your ticket, and there were two ticket machines on the bus, either of which you could use to stamp your ticket once you got on through any of the three doors. The only difference here is that you have to pay w/your Metrocard in advance outside and get a receipt.

The only thing that I would say from my observations since I pass the (M15) in the mornings sometimes on the express bus Downtown is that those SBS stops aren't all that obvious aside from the machines. The color scheme should be different so that it stands out more and the signs could be made bigger.

Sure most people don't read, but if they did that and had automated announcements that were short and to the point perhaps that would help. Just my two cents, but I have not used the (M15) at all since SBS came into play, but I would have no problem paying and such.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Not that I'm an environmentalist, but isn't this a waste of paper in the long run? I mean for people that are using a transfer, they don't need the paper. I understand this 'pop' thing, but still, it's a waste of paper.

Not that I'm an environmentalist, but isn't this a waste of paper in the long run? I mean for people that are using a transfer, they don't need the paper. I understand this 'pop' thing, but still, it's a waste of paper.

I certainly think it is. They should make it so that they can come around and simply read the Metrocards or whatever with a reader of some sort.

Yeah, like maybe they could have the machine print something on the cards indicating the SBS 'fare' has been paid for or something. And the ink is stable for a few hours and can be wiped off later.

Yeah, like maybe they could have the machine print something on the cards indicating the SBS 'fare' has been paid for or something. And the ink is stable for a few hours and can be wiped off later.

Just have portable Metrocard readers that can scan the Metrocards to see if they've paid. I'm sure they could implement that... In Italy what they do is, you get on, stamp your ticket and then an undercover agent will get on, identify himself and then ask to see your stamped ticket, but they just choose people at random. I have a few funny stories I'll share on this...

Once I was heading somewhere Downtown in Florence. I saw a bus coming and I was going a few blocks but didn't have a ticket and didn't feel like going a tabacchi stand to get one so I'm like f*ck it. For the few blocks I'm on I'll be fine. Low and behold, as soon as I get on and the door closes, an undercover agent identifies himself in the rear of the bus. There's traffic up ahead, but I'm in the front of the bus, so I strategize to just not stand out and act normal. The guy became fixated on this young immigrant looking chick who had a ticket, but hadn't stamped it, so I just slid right by him, and got off at the next stop. I was sweating a bit (not literally) because there was traffic ahead, but it cleared luckily and he spent forever writing that chick a ticket. After that incident I didn't bother w/that because they don't check a lot but you'll get busted when you least expect it.

Another time I had just did some shopping at Media World (electric chain store found throughout Italy) and COOP (supermarket chain in Italy) over in Scandicci (Florence) and had gotten on the back of the bus and had just stamped my ticket when an undercover agent comes and asks for it. Meanwhile, I was thinking not to bother because the bus was rather empty, but I was glad that I had. The fine was was something like 100 times the ticket, so $100.00 for $1 fare, but it was kind of fun actually. :cool: Kind of like a little adrenline rush for the hell of it. A lot of youth do it in Europe and I witnessed it on the train as well. I wouldn't f*ck around these days though. Too old for those "adventures". lol