Subway Derailment on the (N) Line

Quoted from CBS New York

"Two New York City Subway cars with 400 passengers on board jumped the tracks near the 57th St. and 7th Ave. Station shortly after 5 p.m. Sunday.

The incident train, an 'N' train, was traveling southbound from Astoria to Brooklyn when two of its cars derailed. Passengers were evacuated through a rescue train.

A tourist from Indiana, Doug Sabotin described the sudden jolt. "It felt like it stopped abruptly," he said. "I didn't know it derailed. They had us sit while they assessed the situation, and told us to stay calm."

News of the derailment had paramedics swarming two different subway stations - the 57th St. Station, and then the 5th Ave. Station, where passengers emerged unharmed, with quite a subway story to tell.

"The brakes were pulled and the train derailed," passenger Isabel Belmont who was on the derailed train said. "The passengers stayed calm."

Two people reported minor injuries, but didn't require treatment.

Due to the incident, Bay Ridge-bound 'R' trains are running on the 'F' line between the 36th St. Station in Queens and the 34th St. Herald Square Station. There is no 'N' train service between Queensboro Plaza and Times Square in both directions.

The stations being bypassed are: Queens Plaza, Lexington Avenue, 5th Ave., 57th St., and 49th St. Passengers are being advised to take the Bay Ridge-bound 'R' train to 34th St. Herald Square and the Forest Hills-bound 'R' train.

Delays are expected for several hours while authorities investigate the incident."

Okay How did this happen?

The train was an R160 and thats a GOOD thing because they will an R40 slant on the (N) line torrow. I dont know the numbers but i do know it was an 160 for shore. This set will most likely be scrapped or OOS for a LONG time. But the black boxes on the R160 will us what happen. But most likely this set is DEAD everytime NTT get into derailments they never come back into service wonder why....

Can you stop trashing the new tech trains? Take this seriously, as it will be an additional $2 million-$4 million from our pockets. The replacement will probably be a R68 since the W is almost completely 68s. It might not be a R160 as there a few 68s on the N, too.

There is a wide curve between 5th Ave and 57th Street. The T/O could be above the speed limit. The MTA says it's a rail condition...hmmm

Can you stop trashing the new tech trains? Take this seriously, as it will be an additional $2 million-$4 million from our pockets. The replacement will probably be a R68 since the W is almost completely 68s. It might not be a R160 as there a few 68s on the N, too.

There is a wide curve between 5th Ave and 57th Street. The T/O could be above the speed limit. The MTA says it's a rail condition...hmmm

Could have been a broken rail.

Wow, this news is shocking, I didnt know the (R) switches from 6 Av to Broadway at Herald Square-34 St. Does it use the escalators to switch routes or the steps? :(

But as for the derailment, regardless of the model, lets just hope its repairable so it can get back into service. I hope it wasn't a 68.

Wow, this news is shocking, I didnt know the (R) switches from 6 Av to Broadway at Herald Square-34 St. Does it use the escalators to switch routes or the steps? :(

But as for the derailment, regardless of the model, lets just hope its repairable so it can get back into service. I hope it wasn't a 68.

It was an R160.

And those service advisories always crack me up. Interns at it again?

"The brakes were pulled and the train derailed," passenger Isabel Belmont who was on the derailed train said. "The passengers stayed calm."

Probably too much G forces on the rail if it was from the braking, or obviously the driver saw a problem & tried to stop. In the second scenario the driver is a fricking hero imagine if it went through at full speed....

- Andy

The train was an R160 and thats a GOOD thing because they will an R40 slant on the (N) line torrow. I dont know the numbers but i do know it was an 160 for shore. This set will most likely be scrapped or OOS for a LONG time. But the black boxes on the R160 will us what happen. But most likely this set is DEAD everytime NTT get into derailments they never come back into service wonder why....

You take this hate of NTT too seriously,just because it was an R160 and it

was in a derailment doesn't mean it's gonna get scrapped or that an R40

will take it's place.you need your head checked.

You take this hate of NTT too seriously,just because it was an R160 and it

was in a derailment doesn't mean it's gonna get scrapped or that an R40

will take it's place.you need your head checked.

First off you take your love for the NTT too seriously. And a few months ago when an siemens R160 hit some trackworker equipment and they used an r40 slant to take its place. Same goes for when the siemens R160s had gearbox problems they used R40 slants in its place. They probaly took one set out of storage and put it on the (N) line. The f@#%ing wheel fell off train they are not going to put it in service the next day. Every time they have problems with R160s they always use R40s in its place.

First off you take your love for the NTT too seriously. And a few months ago when an siemens R160 hit some trackworker equipment and they used an r40 slant to take its place. Same goes for when the siemens R160s had gearbox problems they used R40 slants in its place. They probaly took one set out of storage and put it on the (N) line. The f@#%ing wheel fell off train they are not going to put it in service the next day. Every time they have problems with R160s they always use R40s in its place.

UNLIKE YOU,I don't RANT on how bad or why i don't like cars like the R38 or

the R40M.and i don't rant on how the NTT are better then the R32 or the

R40.i like the current 1960's rolling stock as well as the NTT that are out

on the (J),(M),(N) lines.you on the other hand rant on how bad the NTT

cars are and how much better cars like the R40 are.if you like the R40

better then the R160,good for you.but everytime there's a delay or a derailment on say the (N) line,you go ahead and say this is why the R160 are junk and go on to say

that "oh the R40 will take it's place" and so on.

you just can't accept the fact that the R32-R42 are going bye-bye.

...And a few months ago when an siemens R160 hit some trackworker equipment and they used an r40 slant to take its place...

Wait a sec... did this happen to be around the date of 4/1? I know I was RFWing an R40 on the (N) that night and there was track work too. Maybe just a coincidence. Anyway, derailments probably aren't too fun, but if a wheel fell off... eh, that's not too good on the R160's record.

Out of all the places to derail I would have thought it would happen first on the Canal Street station curve. Very sharp curve taking at pretty high speeds.

So i've noticed. I was scared stiff when the R160 went around that curve. And here's another thing i've noticed. All trains usually speed up after the first car is off the turn. like those serious curmes on the (2) line between fulton and chambers st.

Every time they have problems with R160s they always use R40s in its place.

What else are they going to replace it with? The 68's are all being used up. The 40's are about the only thing left out there to do substitution duty.

Just to clarify a few things.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT SUBWAY CAR DERAILED. ANY SUBWAY CAR CAN DERAIL. PLEASE TELL ME HOW IT'S THE SUBWAY CAR'S FAULT THAT IT DERAILED. It was most probably a track problem, or the T/O wasn't obeying a speed limit. It was on a curve I think, just north of Canal Street.

And also this is a minor thing. The train will probably have some work done on it and return back to service. It's not like R143 8277, or that scene in Money Train when the Money Train derails...

Also, to East New York, the wheel didn't pop off, it just got off the rail on the third car(in other word,s popping off the rail).

Just to clarify a few things.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT SUBWAY CAR DERAILED. ANY SUBWAY CAR CAN DERAIL. PLEASE TELL ME HOW IT'S THE SUBWAY CAR'S FAULT THAT IT DERAILED. It was most probably a track problem, or the T/O wasn't obeying a speed limit. It was on a curve I think, just north of Canal Street.

And also this is a minor thing. The train will probably have some work done on it and return back to service. It's not like R143 8277, or that scene in Money Train when the Money Train derails...

Also, to East New York, the wheel didn't pop off, it just got off the rail on the third car(in other word,s popping off the rail).

Cool. Thanks. So I guess the wheel "poped off the track then".... LOL Thats probably what the dude who told me was talking about. I don't know all the subway slang yet.

There wasn't that much damage done to the train. Why would they scrap it? Maybe that particular set, half of the train, so 5 cars, would be kept in the yard for a while for repairs unless the 5th and 6th cars were the ones that derailed, then its the whole 10 car train.

And which cars that have been in derailments in the past that has never come back into service? The R143 cars that was in the Canarsie Yard incident don't count, two of the cars aren't coming back and we all know why, but the other two are just extras for now sitting around in the yard.

There's no point in scrapping the whole damn train. It's just 2 cars out of the 10. If one car flipped over, then that would be another story, but it probably has a few dents here and there. It's probably going to be returned to service. The slants are going fast, and the R68As will be used up, so maybe 1 less (N) train for a few days. The derailments doesn't mean that NTTs are stupid or suck ass. It just means that it derailed. It's probably the driver's fault or track problem...If that had been a slant, then I'm absoultely positive that it would have the same fate.

Archived