a little good news

cdi919

Originally Posted by RTOMan View Post

I know of people who got very high Scores(Two of em got at least a 100) on the T/O test..

Then flunked out of Schoolcar because they talked too much,couldnt stop a train properly if thier life depended on it, and could not follow simple instruction...

In other words...

Common sense>>>>Book Smarts...

WOW! 100 percenters fail schoolcar??? And for talking too much??? I almost think you are kidding, seriously?

It's gotta be drugs or.... some sort of handycap.

I know of people who got very high Scores(Two of em got at least a 100) on the T/O test..

Then flunked out of Schoolcar because they talked too much,couldnt stop a train properly if thier life depended on it, and could not follow simple instruction...

In other words...

Common sense>>>>Book Smarts...

That's why I laugh at the people bragging about their scores on these tests. Give them a few weeks of schoolcar and you realize that the score on the test means nada, zilch, in the real world of operation....if they make it that far.

But with the economy the way it is, the only people who stand a chance of getting into schoolcar are those with high scores. Due to massive budget cuts, I highly doubt they are going to call as many people off the T/O and C/R open competitive lists as they did last time.

That's why I laugh at the people bragging about their scores on these tests. Give them a few weeks of schoolcar and you realize that the score on the test means nada, zilch, in the real world of operation....if they make it that far.

Well most people graduate anyway so you cant be laughing as often as you would like.

I doubt they got kicked out solely for talking too much. There has to be more to the story.

Pay attention to what i MEAN by "talking" to much....

Two examples of the whole....

You arent not listening,not getting the information falling a SIGNALS Quiz..

Falling in the yards because you was talking too much when the Motor Instructor says to be careful but you arent paying attention because...

You talk too much..

WOW! 100 percenters fail schoolcar??? And for talking too much??? I almost think you are kidding, seriously?

It's gotta be drugs or.... some sort of handycap.

Listen to what im saying. They got a 100% on the Open Competitve Test they didnt make it past Schoolcar.

You forgot the Simple Instruction part as well..

See what i mean?

Sometimes down here you need to Understand whats told to you, and sometimes you have to repeat it back in your head. In order to do it.

Its not Rocket Science BUT it is a LOT of common sense. People tend to not see that.

Well most people graduate anyway so you cant be laughing as often as you would like.

You think so?

You got Numbers to back that Up?

Also i know of T/O's in MY Class that graduated and did not make it past Probation...

Opps...

Ok! I'm listening RTOMan, I got you, i understand.

Just cant help being a bit surprised by the big disparity you seem to be implying between people that scored well on the exam and ACTUALLY being able to pay attention in the physical sense, even you have to be surprised. No, I don't have any numbers I'm just talking out of my ass, but BY ODIN! it isn't as if they are calling people left and right so it's kinda safe to assume at least more than half of would-be employees pass their trials and tribulations and such.

Just cant help being a bit surprised by the big disparity you seem to be implying between people that scored well on the exam and ACTUALLY being able to pay attention in the physical sense, even you have to be surprised. No, I don't have any numbers I'm just talking out of my ass, but BY ODIN! it isn't as if they are calling people left and right so it's kinda safe to assume at least more than half of would-be employees pass their trials and tribulations and such.

Ah you get it! :)

Hopefully you can also see where I'm coming from. A class where people who scored 97-100% against a class who scored 87-90%. It seems that the latter group succeeds in transit because they didn't come in thinking they know it all compared to the former. I laugh because I've seen it time and time again. For about 15 years I took student T/Os out on the road after they left schoolcar. Open competitive, promo, re-instatements, whomever. Some of the best students I've encountered didn't have the highest test scores BUT they listened to the instructors and were attentive at all times. Some of them, mainly promos, thought they knew it all. I used to check the assignment sheets from time to time to see how my people were doing when they got on the road by themselves. It never failed that Mr I know it all so and so was out of service because of some operational mistake. I knew quite a few of the school car instructors back then so I know these people had good training. School car bends over backwards to help some of these people who scored well on the tests but they were not cut out for the job. You can score 100% on the Civil Service test but freeze up when you have to cross the third rail or walk the structure. To me all the test score means is that you'll get called sooner than someone who didn't score as highly on that test. It doesn't mean you'll be a better employee. In case you're wondering almost my whole C/Rs class was called for the first M/M class we were eligible for. We had good instructors and we paid attention to them.

Hopefully you can also see where I'm coming from. A class where people who scored 97-100% against a class who scored 87-90%. It seems that the latter group suceeds in transit because they didn't come in thinking they know it all compared to the former. I laugh because I've seen it time and time again. For about 15 years I took student T/Os out on the road after they left schoolcar. Open competitive, promo, re-instatements, whomever. Some of the best students I've encountered didn't have the highest test scores BUT they listened to the instructors and were attentive at all times. Some of them, mainly promos, thought they knew it all. I used to check the assignment sheets from time to time to see how my people were doing when they got on the road by themselves. It never failed that Mr I know it all so and so was out of service because of some operational mistake. I knew quite a few of the school car instructors back then so I know these people had good training. School car bends over backwards to help some of these people who scored well on the tests but they were not cut out for the job. You can score 100% on the Civil Service test but freeze up when you have to cross the third rail or walk the structure. To me all the test score means is that you'll get called sooner than someone who didn't score as highly on that test. It doesn't mean you'll be a better employee. In case you're wondering almost my whole C/Rs class was called for the first M/M class we were eligible for. We had good instructors and we paid attention to them.

Well in that case fortunately for me I didn't score too well on the open O/C exam but I'm still within range I believe. I'd love to give it a good shot and come back and tell people the experience in great detail, several years from now lol. The only things I'm worried about are clearing the medical examinations as I'm a smoker and I'm a tad overweight and that automatically makes me unhealthy. Dealing with third rail business is also a bit of a concern I guess. I don't believe I'll cramp up or anything at all but It has the potential of becoming one's last step. Speaking of which, you know or heard of anyone getting toasted on the third rail?

I failed 2 quizzs in schoolcar and failed the 12 week practical the first time I took it.I was the weakest student in my class when it came to the quizzes and understanding what the instructors taught us.It took me 10 times to learn what everyone else grasped once.

That has made me a better T/O.I pay attention to everything and take nothing for granted.My instructors says habits are hard to break so develop good ones.

I ask a lot of questions,some dispatchers and TSS,s get annoyed.I always tell them"Better YOU get annoyed than someone down in 2 Broadway" NEVER be afraid to ask........Those who are TRUE co-workers WILL assist you and be GLAD to answer any question you may have.

People like Donald are going to have a VERY hard time down here because of the bad attitude they have when they have not even stepped though the RTO door yet.Dont be like them,be smart.

Well in that case fortunately for me I didn't score too well on the open O/C exam but I'm still within range I believe. I'd love to give it a good shot and come back and tell people the experience in great detail, several years from now lol. The only things I'm worried about are clearing the medical examinations as I'm a smoker and I'm a tad overweight and that automatically makes me unhealthy. Dealing with third rail business is also a bit of a concern I guess. I don't believe I'll cramp up or anything at all but It has the potential of becoming one's last step. Speaking of which, you know or heard of anyone getting toasted on the third rail?

EVERYONE I know who was electrocuted was overweight and smoked!!

;) j/k.Seriously though,just be very careful and you wont get zapped.Third Rail power is relatively low voltage for Rapid transit travel.when compared to the overhead catenary wires on AMtrak and Metro North on the NH line.

600 volts is not going to jump out at you while the 25,000 volt wires will fry you if you get within 5 feet of them.

THAT being said,dont fool around near third rails.Take it slowly and surely and you will be fine.I have mild cerebal palsy and if I can do it safely,ANYONE can.

When they call you just try to be in as good physical shape as you can. It's better to prepare yourself before you get called. Obviously, when I started out smoking ( tobacco) wasn't as big an issue as it is today. Try to get your weight under control so the medical department can't use that against you. I'd recommend having a complete physical just BEFORE you're called so your doctor can preempt any concerns transit may have. Those quacks rarely dispute another doctors findings. The only person I personally know who contacted the third rail was in my school car class. While stepping over the third rail, talking, AND NOT PAYING ATTENTION, the heel of his boot brushed the rail. The heel on his boot melted and came off smoking but he was unhurt. The instructors didn't notice it nor did most of my classmates. We smelled something in the air, but men being men, we laughed it off. Most of us found out during the walk back to the station after we were off the clock 'cause my classmate was sort of limping. Long story short, he's a dispatcher in the A division today and we laugh about it. We never told our school car instructors what happened until years later because if he was truly injured they'd get in trouble and we didn't want that to happen. Some of them were the same guys who trained us as C/Rs and made sure we were prepared for the M/M test. I'd advise you to pay attention to what Andrew and RTOman, among others, post because they know what's happening today. All I can say is be prepared and PAY ATTENTION and most people will be fine out there.

"you know or heard of anyone getting toasted on the third rail?"

There was a track worker in the Rockaways who fell on the 3rd rail last year. I would not worry about the 3rd rail that much since your more likely to get hit by a train than touch the 3rd rail. More trackmen die from trains than 3rd rails. Trains move. The 3rd rail does not.

One thing I heard thy would tell new employees many years ago (maybe they still do, I don't know) is not to pee on the 3rd rail since the electric will travel up the "stream" and knock you out.

"you know or heard of anyone getting toasted on the third rail?"

There was a track worker in the Rockaways who fell on the 3rd rail last year. I would not worry about the 3rd rail that much since your more likely to get hit by a train than touch the 3rd rail.

Thinking that way will get you killed. T/O's are always on the tracks and have to cross the third rail on a daily basis. When you're on the tracks, a train won't always be there, but the third rail is there 24 hours a day. Anything can cause you to fall on it, whether it be loose ballast, black ice on the ties, taking a bad step, stepping on the protection board (a no-no) and the board collapses, inattention, etc. You respect that rail at all times or it will seriously bite you.

Yes Donald thanks for the heads up, smoking is just plain stoopid and therefore im stupid. However, peeing anywhere on the subway isnt something im planning on doing anytime before I turn 138. Last year I tried those nicotine patches the city was dishing out and I was able to quit for 11 days lol. Im going to try again real soon. Thx Drew and Trainmaster, I like posts like that. You almost had me there with that joke and its only text lol.

You can score 100% on the Civil Service test but freeze up when you have to cross the third rail or walk the structure.

screw crossing the third rail or the structure, i froze as soon as i had to walk across that bootleg boardwalk that they have at livonia yard. :P

btw Xentor, being a tad bit overweight and a smoker will not cost you your job with the MTA. you have nothing to worry about unless you have more serious health problems that they can detect such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart problems, etc...

That's true zman. I'm definitely not under-estimating the dangers of the 3rd rail. I know full well that the 3rd rail is not a joke and thinking it is will lead to serious consequences. But more workers get killed by trains, especially when they come around sharp turns and you don't see them until the last minute. That's what happened back in 2007 when 2 track workers were killed in one week. You can step over a 3rd rail. But you can't step over a 300 ton train coming at you at 40 MPH.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived