Evenin' from the UK

Red Leicester

Evening All,

I'm a new member from just outside London in the UK who's had an interest in buses since I was 2 (about thirty years ago!) and the railway since 18. Paid little attention to the US until I went on holiday to the Dominican and the only TV channel I could understand was ESPN and got into Baseball in a big way. That got me wanting to visiting New York to go and watch a game, which I still haven't done, and the got me into the transport system.

I consider my railway interest as purely professional (!!) as I work in the industry over here as a timetable planner but I seem to spend more and more time researching rail related things outside of work...

Huge apologies if I asked seemingly obvious questions or ask something that got asked months back!

If anyone wants to know anything about UK rail ops feel free to ask away!

Welcome to the forums, Red Leicester!

I have a question regarding the operations of the London Underground. I've heard that some District and Metropolitan line trains share tracks with National Rail. How is this done? How do they arrange for it?

Do I post the answer here?! Well I'm going to...

London Underground run services onto Network Rail owned lines. The District between Gunnersbury and Richmond and the Bakerloo between Queens Park and Harrow & Wealdstone. The District also does between Putney and Wimbledon but this is unusual as there is no "heavy rail" service over this section save a couple of empties and some for route retention.

The operation is quite simple, train operates over the Network Rail owned line and Network Rail operate the signalling as per another train. Network Rail do not runtrains, they own and operate the infrastructure and effective sell space onto the network for Operators. Hence London Underground effectively becomes an operator and pays a fee to run trains. Train Operators have to be conversant with both LUL and NR rules.

The Metropolitan Line shares the track from Harrow-on-the-Hill to Amersham with Chiltern Railways, a heavy rail operator. This is different as Network Rail don't own this section of line and don't signal it. Chiltern Railways (the Train Operating Company) pay London Underground to operate over their metals. Interestingly on the system I can use at work to track trains and where they are and whether they are on time (TRUST if anyone knows of it) shows District and Bakerloo Line trains on NR metals but the CHiltern service goes into a black hole between Harrow and Amersham. As an aside Chiltern Railway trains have to have Tripcocks fitted to be compatible with LUL signalling.

Hope that makes sense.

PS - LUL means London Underground Limited

It's uncommon here, just a few miles here and there. THe Bakerloo parallels the West Coast Main Line for a few miles so tube stock runs alongside 125mph tilting trains although they never share the same track.

There are a few LUL to Network Rail connections for stock moves and delivery that are never used in normal services. The new MEtropolitan line stock travel 100 miles from test track to LUL depot via heavy rail lines and use one such.

In terms of signalling, the trains move automatically from the Underground signal box to the Network Rail signal box. The two signallers can speak if necessary.

Up north in the UK the Tyne & Wear Metro and heavy rail trains share the same tracks from Pelaw to Sunderland. The Metros are overhead electric on a completely different system to most of the UK so the heavy rail trains must be diesel powered. Again the Metro is another operator who pay a fee to run trains over Network Rail lines. I used to look after the timetable for this line. See this pic I found:

http://www.railway-technology.com/projects/tyne/tyne11.html

Welcome aboard, Red Leicester!

I have few questions or little more.

1.How does Double-Decker Bus System works as public transportation?

2. Is it true that taking pictures in public places are difficult due to London camera watching everyone? I saw on video many photographer and tourist got arrested for taking pictures.

3. Is Bus Lane working well in London?

Hello FamousNYLover,

To answer your questions...

1 - Double deck buses are the norm over here for most local services. Go to any major city or town and you will see them. Indeed I went into London today and went on two, it is rare to see a single-deck bus in Central London outside the suburbs. Articulated buses exist on some routes but these have never really found favour and are being phased out. It seems to work well, people aren't afraid from travelling upstairs or anything like that. Until the early 1990s you could smoke only on the upper deck but thankfully (my own view!) this was phased out and it's illegal now.

In terms of coaching it is rare to see double deck coaches on National Express services - these are the Greyhounds of the UK (typically shortened to NatEx).

I have loads of photos of double deck vehicles, if you or anyone would like any let me know offline.

2 - Personally I've had no issues taking pictures and I take a lot. Yes, there's lots of CCTV but this isn't looking for the casual photographer. I've noticed since the digital age more people are taking random pictures and it's not as uncommon as it once was. Some drivers take exception from what I've heard but it's not an issue. On railways some people have had problems with private security firms patrolling stations and a couple of these have made the news. Again I've never had any problems and the industry (so Network Rail, the Train Operators, the British Transport Police and a few others) joined forces and created an Enthusiasts charter which stated the dos and do not dos of photography at stations. Essentially it's allowed as long as you don't get in the way, don't use flash etc and enthusiasts are seen as a useful pair of eyes if problems occur. Some rail staff are anthusiasts themselves so understand it, others are bemused as to why you'd want to but let you anyway. At major stations if you're staying for a long time they like you to sign in, partly for safety and also so they know not to hassle to guy one the end of the platform. If I did get hassle I'd try mentioning the charter to whoever but my own view is if someone is determined to make me look a fool and rant and rave I wouldn't fight back, that's what they want you to do. I take a mental note of the time and date, and their name if displaying it and complain afterwards. Either that or show my work ID badge.

In short the answer is no, there were problems after 2005 for a bit, the odd isolated high profile incident, but it's calmed down over the past few years. If you're over here snap away.

3 - Bus lanes work if they are put in the right place and enforced. They are a national feature and not just in London. I certainly remember the one in Nottingham heading up into the City from 1982 so not that new either...

Boo, Man U! Not a football fan really but if push came to shove I'm a Nottingham Forest fan as I grew up in Nottingham (think Robin Hood territory).

Interestingly Old Trafford where Man U play boasts it's own station, albeit a halt and served on match days only. Trains normally run non-stop by.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived