The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

If Beltran is traded, he prefers to stay in the NL. However, I don't want him traded to a division rival

Whoever is going to trade for him is going to regret it.

The reason why he doesn't want to be traded is because it must be too

much of a hassle to move from 1 mansion to another one, lol.

Why is it taking so long to trade him? Must be not much interest out there in him.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see some changes in the MLB Playoff formatting. The 4 best teams in each league regardless of division should make the playoffs. This makes it similar to the NBA and NHL playoffs and that's the way it should be. If 3 of the 4 best AL teams happen to be in the AL East I am fine with 3 AL East teams being in the postseason. The AL Central champ doesn't have to be given a playoff spot for beating up on the other teams in that division. I bring up the AL Central specifically because I see the Rays and/or Angels winning more games than the Tigers or Indians. If a team wants to be in the playoffs they should have a great overall record and not just be the best team in their division. At the end of the day, fans want to see the BEST teams in the playoffs.

While i agree in princpal JW, you might as well scrap divisions and go back to the pre 1969-league only formats. Again for those who dont know prior to 1969 only the '2' teams with the best records went staright to the world series no playoff series then.

Also those supporters of divisons will state that only the rich and elite teams i.e Red Sox, Phils, Yanks, Angels, Cards will always get the post season spot. And the smaller market/profit clubs i.e Pirates, A's, etc will never get a reasonable sniff at the post season.

As i stated before, I think i would move either the D'Backs or Astros to the AL West. Thus every club would play all 30 teams at least 2-3 games a year and a fairer system than currently. Then to be fair to the 20 teams that are middle market(revenue)or lower ones i would add two more playoff spots(10 total in all of MLB)and seed based on regular season. For example if the Yankees are the wild card and have a better record than the Rangers who won the AL West this year which is likely, the Yanks should get the home field advantage. That my long term plan for MLB especially in the next CBA contract which is expected (thankfully probably no work stoppage in MLB)to be signed by start of the 2011 world series.

My takes JW.:P

I would like to see some changes in the MLB Playoff formatting. The 4 best teams in each league regardless of division should make the playoffs. This makes it similar to the NBA and NHL playoffs and that's the way it should be. If 3 of the 4 best AL teams happen to be in the AL East I am fine with 3 AL East teams being in the postseason. The AL Central champ doesn't have to be given a playoff spot for beating up on the other teams in that division. I bring up the AL Central specifically because I see the Rays and/or Angels winning more games than the Tigers or Indians. If a team wants to be in the playoffs they should have a great overall record and not just be the best team in their division. At the end of the day, fans want to see the BEST teams in the playoffs.

This might make sense. However, national TV stations such as Fox would be angry since they would lose big ratings in several markets (especially in the Midwest and West Coasts where teams out there might not be participating in some playoff series that involve only teams from one region, namely the East Coast). Although regular shows tend to score higher ratings than baseball playoff games, the lack of playoff teams from all over America, not just one region or two, would force some games to be more "regionalized" rather than national, which could result in lower ratings.

Lenin don't forget Fox in last few years only broadcasts one half of the LCS round and the entire world series. TBS/TNT(Turner sports)broadcasts the entire 1st round of the divisional series.

This might make sense. However, national TV stations such as Fox would be angry since they would lose big ratings in several markets (especially in the Midwest and West Coasts where teams out there might not be participating in some playoff series that involve only teams from one region, namely the East Coast). Although regular shows tend to score higher ratings than baseball playoff games, the lack of playoff teams from all over America, not just one region or two, would force some games to be more "regionalized" rather than national, which could result in lower ratings.

Lenin don't forget Fox in last few years only broadcasts one half of the LCS round and the entire world series. TBS/TNT(Turner sports)broadcasts the entire 1st round of the divisional series.

That's true. But if one league has all of its playoff teams from one region or two, than the national networks suffer with ratings losses in all of America.

That's true. But if one league has all of its playoff teams from one region or two, than the national networks suffer with ratings losses in all of America.

I'm sure FOX would love to see a MLB playoffs full of big market clubs. If you watch their NFL coverage you would see that they only give big distribution to NFC East games or games involving big name teams.

I'm sure FOX would love to see a MLB playoffs full of big market clubs. If you watch their NFL coverage you would see that they only give big distribution to NFC East games or games involving big name teams.

That's true, but they also want teams from ALL OVER America, not just the East Coast. Not only do they want the Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies, but they want the Dodgers or Angels too to gain some ratings out West.

That's true, but they also want teams from ALL OVER America, not just the East Coast. Not only do they want the Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies, but they want the Dodgers or Angels too to gain some ratings out West.

Not to mention from Middle America teams like the Cubs, Cards, Braves and lesser degree the Texas Rangers from one of the country's fastest growing regions Dallas-Ft Worth.

If the Phillies vs Boston/Yankees happens, the MLB would be estatic. However, I do think the teams should be aligned by geographic location [yes very unpopular]. that way you guarantee at least an East-West matchup. The East is more ore less the best while the West is soso and the Central in both is pretty mediocre. Last thing MLB wants is two West or two Central teams facing each other in the WS.

This I agree wtih. It would really help the East since they have a more stacked division while the Central and West are marginal at times. Teams should be rewarded for having played their best in the long season. I mean the 2006 Cards shouldn't have even been there much less win with their 80+ win record.

Even the Mariners traded Cliff Lee to the Rangers who are within their division.

However they got Justin Smoak and Blake Beavan out of that deal.

Exactly.

Not familiar with those prospects.

Last thing MLB wants is two West or two Central teams facing each other in the WS.

And they got that last year lolol. It had the lowest TV ratings ever, tied with Phillies-Rays in 08.

EDIT: In other news, CC Sabathia has just had his perfect game broken up by a single in the 7th inning.

I see the Mariners winning tomorrow -- the pitching matchup is Hughes vs King Felix

@Concourse, I don't think your judgement about the East, Central and West are completely accurate. Here is my take:

ALE: Probably the toughest division in MLB

ALC: Kinda weak this year considering their underperforming teams

ALW: In the middle. TEX and LAA are good teams while OAK and SEA are pretty shitty. [cough]17 game losing streak[/cough]

NLE: PHI and ATL are good but the rest are .500 or below teams

NLC: Competitive, except for CHC and HOU. Those two are non contenders this season while the rest are

NLW: By far the weakest division in baseball. SD, COL, and LAD are under .500, while ARZ and SF are getting better. A few years ago I wouldn't be surprised if a team under .500 made it to the NLDS from this weak division

And they got that last year lolol. It had the lowest TV ratings ever, tied with Phillies-Rays in 08.

EDIT: In other news, CC Sabathia has just had his perfect game broken up by a single in the 7th inning.

I see the Mariners winning tomorrow -- the pitching matchup is Hughes vs King Felix

Exactly.

Damn. Have to wonder how things could've turned out if not for the rain delay... Well nothing can ever top the Mussina near perfect game. 1 more strike was all he needed. Carl Everett [after Ortiz] will forever be the most hated person imo.

@Concourse, I don't think your judgement about the East, Central and West are completely accurate. Here is my take:

ALE: Probably the toughest division in MLB

ALC: Kinda weak this year considering their underperforming teams

ALW: In the middle. TEX and LAA are good teams while OAK and SEA are pretty shitty. [cough]17 game losing streak[/cough]

NLE: PHI and ATL are good but the rest are .500 or below teams

NLC: Competitive, except for CHC and HOU. Those two are non contenders this season while the rest are

NLW: By far the weakest division in baseball. SD, COL, and LAD are under .500, while ARZ and SF are getting better. A few years ago I wouldn't be surprised if a team under .500 made it to the NLDS from this weak division

Ok, good points, but it still shows that there's at least one division that gets an unfair benefit from the divisional split. I have to agree on the idea that it should be the best 4 teams.

Now since Selig seems so hell bent on this extra playoff format, I've got a good idea on how that should work:

The same 4 teams: 3 divisions and 1 WC gets in; BUT the 2nd team in the WC would have a chance to play the weakest of the 3 divisional teams for the last playoff spot in a 1 game playoff. That would be an added incentive to not only win the division, but also get a better record.

thoughts?

Scott Proctor's arm is still alive. Hopefully Fredi does not abuse his arm like Joe Torre did. Watching the Pirates at Braves game tied up 3-3 on the bottom of the 17th inning. Damn.

Scott Proctor's arm is still alive. Hopefully Fredi does not abuse his arm like Joe Torre did. Watching the Pirates at Braves game tied up 3-3 on the bottom of the 17th inning. Damn.

Lol, good to know. Haven't heard about him for some time.

I hope that home plate umpire dies in head on collision on the way back to the hotel.

Most definitely Hurdle will appeal this. OMFG, WHAT A BRUTAL CALL, just wanted to end the game,POS umpire! "JERRY MEALS" that name says it all.:mad:

Ok, there's a difference btw hating someone and wishing the guy to die... you can hate a person, but by no means should that be acceptable to wish death on a person. If it's a bad call, then the ump should be fired or demoted. This is why instant replay should be used. Something like the NFL where a coach can call for a challenge on a call and see if he can get the result overturned. IR shouldn't be used for just homers. Umps are not perfect and there should be a 2nd opinion on potentially game changing calls.

The 2nd WC vs. weakest division champ idea becomes an epic fail when those two teams come from the same division. If a team is not good enough to win their league's weakest division they shouldn't bother competing for a playoff spot. I feel that the current playoff format can work well if the 4 best teams from each league are placed in.

Here's how the new format would work.

1. Teams will be seeded 1-4 based on regular season record.

2. The #1 seed in baseball gets 4 out of 5 Division series games at home.(Games 1,2,4 and 5 if necessary)

3. The other league's #1 seed and both #2 seeds will get the traditional 3 out of 5 homefield advantage.

4. If a division champion fails to finish in the league's top 4 that champ will NOT make the playoffs. The best non- division champ will represent the playoffs as champs of that division, as each division must have at least one team in the playoffs. So in theory, the Yankees would be AL Central champs if the season ended today and the Tigers would fail to make the playoffs.

This multi-quote has been brought to you by Blockbuster. Yes, we still exist. Somewhere.

And I thought I was the only one who used baseball-reference

Nope, I use it too.

If Beltran is traded, he prefers to stay in the NL. However, I don't want him traded to a division rival

Definitely agreed. I've seen that too many times before. Milledge, Schneider, Glavine; they all went to rival teams. Please let Beltran go somewhere obscure, like the Angels or the Giants.

No. Just, no. The Wild Card exists for a reason, and you're forgetting the point of it. Central and West fans would go ballistic, and we would never se another Giants-Rangers series like last year.

Is this football? No. Should you be judging baseball ratings by football slots? No. Should there be equal distribution of television time among all teams, baseball and football? Absolutely.

If the Phillies vs Boston/Yankees happens, the MLB would be estatic. However, I do think the teams should be aligned by geographic location [yes very unpopular]. that way you guarantee at least an East-West matchup. The East is more ore less the best while the West is soso and the Central in both is pretty mediocre. Last thing MLB wants is two West or two Central teams facing each other in the WS.

I actually kind of like that idea, but only if the divisions are tighter than they currently are. I mean no interleague, limited division-crossing games; at least 75% of all games would be within the division. I honestly don't care much for interleague (unless it's Mets-Yankees or Cubs-WhiteSox, but I digress...), and I think that it is widely overused. Each team should only have one interleague game per year, preferably against a rival.

Ok, there's a difference btw hating someone and wishing the guy to die... you can hate a person, but by no means should that be acceptable to wish death on a person. If it's a bad call, then the ump should be fired or demoted. This is why instant replay should be used. Something like the NFL where a coach can call for a challenge on a call and see if he can get the result overturned. IR shouldn't be used for just homers. Umps are not perfect and there should be a 2nd opinion on potentially game changing calls.

No one, by any means, should be wishing another person to die. That is rude and spiteful, and I will have none of it on this supposed-to-be-family-website.

Regarding umps and bad calls, if they make one, then so be it. If it can legitimately be proven otherwise, they should get a punishment. Instant Replay is a good idea, but it takes away the human aspect of umpiring. Umpires may not be perfect, but they get it right most of the time. Could you see a manager like Billy Martin screaming at the videoboard? :(

I hope that home plate umpire dies in head on collision on the way back to the hotel.

Most definitely Hurdle will appeal this. OMFG, WHAT A BRUTAL CALL, just wanted to end the game,POS umpire! "JERRY MEALS" that name says it all.:mad:

Bro you normally a cool guy. However to wish 'death' to someone because of a horrible decision at a stupid baseball game is kind of low.:tdown:

It's one thing to say he should be 'fired' but a terrible thing to wish him to die. Locomotion i think you should rethink what you said.

I just saw the reply on both sportscenter and MLB post game quick pitch show for last night's 7/26/11 Pirates/Braves as i went to bed and missed it. The Pirates got screwed. I agree with Concourse MLB Boss Selig is a fool. Replays should be used not on home run calls but also on judgement calls. Examples would plays at home plate or fair/foul calls on the outfield poles possible home runs. Never on balls/strikes though. Even allow a NFL type 'challenge' system for MLB skippers(not sure yet on how to do it though.)

The Pirates seems 'cursed' in Atlanta. Anyone such as an 'old man' like me remember 20 years ago and the 1992 NLCS game 7 fisaco as the Bucs blew a 2-3 run lead in the bottom of the 9th inning?

And shifting gears to the performernce on CC. Great game. With that how can Seattle have this long of a losing streak? Granted outside of "King Felix' they have among the worst teams in 2011 in all of MLB. Still with one of the top 5 starting picthers in all of the majors, the Mariners should not be this bad to lose so much.:(

This is worse than Galarraga.

Agreed Andrew. If the Pirates say lose the NL Central or a wild card spot by 1 game, there will be pure angry all over Western Pa. As Marge Simpson would say when Homer screws up 'this is huge.':mad:

While Meals deserve heat, I also put much of the blame on Bud Selig. If he can allow wild cards/expanded playoffs and interleague as he claims to be a 'traditionalist' why he been so slow on expanding instant replay?

The MLB Umpires Union may fight it but with faster players now in the MLB, they need help on bang-bang plays(this blown call was not)and home run calls. And also create a strict 'merit' system that allows umpires to be 'fired' if their job performance sucks.

The '3' other major leagues i.e NFL, NHL and NBA now use it, so an epic fail to not just Jerry Meals. Also to Bud Selig and the MLB Umpires Union for not addressing this issue.:tdown:

Archived