The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2011/07/28/2011-07-28_former_yankees_pitcher_hideki_irabu_found_dead_in_his_california_home_suicide_su.html

He failed in the major leagues and he failed in life, so he decided to take

the cowardly way out. I remember in a road game he was taken out after

getting hit hard and as he was walking off the mound he spit in the direction

of the fans because they were taunting him with chants of "OVERATED, OVERATED."

The Yankees gave him a huge contract back then. I believe it was $12 million back

in the mid 90's. Hideki Irabu dead at 42.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2011/07/28/2011-07-28_former_yankees_pitcher_hideki_irabu_found_dead_in_his_california_home_suicide_su.html

The Yankees gave him a huge contract back then. I believe it was $12 million back

While it's sad that he ended his life at only 42, Irabu was a headcase. Just because you were a huge disappointment in a sport like baseball, there been hundreds of other former players who 'failed' not only in MLB but all of pro sports. Yet those other guys got over it and enjoyed the rest of their lives in other jobs/fields and never killed themselves.

Just sad he could not get help for his issues. That all i will say on this.

Mets have the 2nd highest B.A in the NL behind the Cardinals, but pitching

is more important and in the Mets are 10th in that dept.

Give Duda a chance in RF, nothing to lose. 9 games left with the Braves this

season, 6 at home, 3 on the road. 7 games back for the wild card is a lot

at this point in the season, but I would settle for 3rd place with an over

500 record. I think this is the Mets highest point of the season, +3 over 500.

Agreed. If you asked most Met fans at start of season if they be very happy finishing in 3rd place winning around 75-82 games 99% like R68(Andrew)would be thrilled.

Again aside from the great job Clint Hurdle has done in Pittsburgh, in a normal season Terry Collins(I admit i not a fan of his and wanted someone else as Mets Skipper)would be a leading choice for NL Manager of the year.

Also looks like Johanan Santana(remember him lol?)if things go well could be back in the majors by Late August-Early Sept.

Overall although they not making the playoffs, the Mets have had a better season than almost anyone could have thought at start of 2011.

The only thing I would change in the postseason is the fact that the All Star Game decides home field advantage. I would rather have the overall W-L of both the AL and NL at the end of the season, and the league with the better record gets their team with home field advantage. For example, the Giants were to play the Yanks in the World Series and the NL had a better record overall then the AL, then the Giants would get home field advantage

So basically the Interleague league records would decide home field advantage.

That would be much better idea and fairer than Bud Selig's current plan which is only created to get better tv ratings at the ASG.

Either that or follow the '3' other major league sports i.e NHL, NBA and NFL and home field is decided by home field advanatage.

Not quite

At the end of the season, we find the W-L records of ALL the teams in the AL, and do the same with the NL. If the AL has a better record overall at the end of the season, then the AL team in the WS has home field advantage. If the NL has a better record overall, then the NL has home field advantage in the WS

I feel bad for what Irabu might have gone through, but I thought that he was a lesson on not to sign hyped Japanese pitchers to large and long term contract. Look at what Kei Igawa is. He hasn't even touched the big leagues since 08. For some reason, a lot of Japanese pitchers struggle mightily in the US

Not quite

At the end of the season, we find the W-L records of ALL the teams in the AL, and do the same with the NL. If the AL has a better record overall at the end of the season, then the AL team in the WS has home field advantage. If the NL has a better record overall, then the NL has home field advantage in the WS

I feel bad for what Irabu might have gone through, but I thought that he was a lesson on not to sign hyped Japanese pitchers to large and long term contract. Look at what Kei Igawa is. He hasn't even touched the big leagues since 08. For some reason, a lot of Japanese pitchers struggle mightily in the US

Not just from Japan. This is a cautionary tale for signing mega hyped from Latin Amerca or closer to home US/Canada born college or HS blue chip prospects that are unproven to big contracts as well.

Not quite

And there's your problem.

Let's say all 30 MLB teams play on the same day. Half the teams win and half the teams lose. Which league has the better record?

Interleague is the only time when one league can post a better win-loss record than the other league.

On a similar note, since the NL has two more teams than the AL, they will have one more win (and one more loss) per day than the AL. That's an extra 162-162 on the record that the NL will have. This could affect the percentages when calculating win-loss records for the entire league.

Aww. Poor guy who I have never heard of before. I hate it when people bully overrated players, look what happened.

Agreed. If you asked most Met fans at start of season if they be very happy finishing in 3rd place winning around 75-82 games 99% like R68(Andrew)would be thrilled.

Again aside from the great job Clint Hurdle has done in Pittsburgh, in a normal season Terry Collins(I admit i not a fan of his and wanted someone else as Mets Skipper)would be a leading choice for NL Manager of the year.

Also looks like Johanan Santana(remember him lol?)if things go well could be back in the majors by Late August-Early Sept.

Overall although they not making the playoffs, the Mets have had a better season than almost anyone could have thought at start of 2011.

I am happy overall with the mets, but not "thrilled" as you say. I am, however, suprised. If the mets keep up their momentum, and this may be a stretch, but they could end up 2nd in 2013!

Not quite

As 7line said, that could only be decided by interleague play.

On a somewhat similar note, I hate interleague. Aside from one or two series that are Mets-Yankees, Cubs-WSox, Phillies-A's, or another historical and/or hated rival pair, I want to abolish it. It detracts from the All-Star Game and the World Series, no wonder why they both have fallen in attendance. The two WS teams might have already played each other in the regular season.

BTW, what did the MLB use for the home field advantage before the ASG win crap?

Go, Team Manchester!

This isn't soccer.

As 7line said, that could only be decided by interleague play.

On a somewhat similar note, I hate interleague. Aside from one or two series that are Mets-Yankees, Cubs-WSox, Phillies-A's, or another historical and/or hated rival pair, I want to abolish it. It detracts from the All-Star Game and the World Series, no wonder why they both have fallen in attendance. The two WS teams might have already played each other in the regular season.

BTW, what did the MLB use for the home field advantage before the ASG win crap?.

MLB for about a century going back to the first WS in 1903, 'rotated' every years between the AL and NL. Until Bud Selig made his infamous home field aka game 7 in a world series this is how it went down. For most of the 20th century in even years i.e 1970, '80 and 1990, etc., the National League had the 7th game. While the American League had it in odd years for instance 1971, '81, and 1991.

That changed after the strike cancelled the 1994 world series in which the NL had supposed to have home field. Starting w/ 1995 Braves/Indians Championship series, the WS was played with NL having possible game #7(Home field)in odd years and the AL in even years i.e '96 Yankees/Braves. So hope it answers you question/understand SI Subway.

On the interleague issue, I love it but the format/schedule sucks and needs to change. The NFL has it why not MLB?

IMO MLB needs to go to either these two options. 1)First option which is the best is to create two 15-team leagues of '3' divisions and all 30 teams plays each other at least '2' games every season. No more for instance the Mets stuck playing the Yanks 6 times a season while the Pirates plays the Indians 6 times for a wild card.

2)Scrap American/National league and just create a NHL/NBA East/West Conference based on geography.

While i support interleague, the current schedule system is unfair no doubt.

Teams change between June and October. The team you play against in June might not be the exact same as the one you face during the World Series.

You think the Mets can catch up to the D-Backs? just 3 games back.

They are another team that has overachieved...The Mets have to go

into September no worse then 3 games back from the Braves to have a

shot. Then again it's not healthy to get your hopes up in September

if you are a Mets fan. But this time around the Mets are behind and not

ahead......

Not quite

I don't like that idea, the NL has a 2 team advanage. If it has to be based on IL record, then it should be from the 2 teams in the WS. Otherwise, just have the team with the better record get home field advantage. Either way as long as it's not dependent on the ASG, then that's fine.

Sad about Irabu, pretty sad about his situation.

Well Dice-K as overpaid as he is, did help Boston in 2007 and has been soso since. For Boston it was worth it for 2007, but since, he is probably a bigger bust than Igawa especially for the $50 mil signing rights to land him.

MLB for about a century going back to the first WS in 1903, 'rotated' every years between the AL and NL. Until Bud Selig made his infamous home field aka game 7 in a world series this is how it went down. For most of the 20th century in even years i.e 1970, '80 and 1990, etc., the National League had the 7th game. While the American League had it in odd years for instance 1971, '81, and 1991.

That changed after the strike cancelled the 1994 world series in which the NL had supposed to have home field. Starting w/ 1995 Braves/Indians Championship series, the WS was played with NL having possible game #7(Home field)in odd years and the AL in even years i.e '96 Yankees/Braves. So hope it answers you question/understand SI Subway.

On the interleague issue, I love it but the format/schedule sucks and needs to change. The NFL has it why not MLB?

IMO MLB needs to go to either these two options. 1)First option which is the best is to create two 15-team leagues of '3' divisions and all 30 teams plays each other at least '2' games every season. No more for instance the Mets stuck playing the Yanks 6 times a season while the Pirates plays the Indians 6 times for a wild card.

2)Scrap American/National league and just create a NHL/NBA East/West Conference based on geography.

While i support interleague, the current schedule system is unfair no doubt.

I dislike both options. 2 solves nothing and causes confusion, and 1 worsens the problem even more. I think that the games should be 60% in-division, 39% out-division but in-league, 1% interleague. Either that or 2% interleague. Interleague was, at it's start, a gimmick to increase sales. Leave it a gimmick, and have only 3-6 games per year be interleague. Not only that, but if I'm seeing interleague, I don't want to see Mariners-Nationals. The Interleague games should be between two teams that either share history or are hated rivals, like the Yanks-Mets, Phils-A's, Nats-Orioles, or RedSox-Braves.

I also want to introduce something, I don't know if this has happened yet, but how about as part of the All-Star game fiasco, you have the winner of the MLB all-star game play the AA or AAA all-star winner. That would be interesting to see, and it would set the true MLB prospects out from the guys that just are good in AAA.

This MLB news update presented by Allstate. "You in Good Hands" with Allstate.B)

Mixed bag for the local NY baseball clubs. Yanks lose to the Birds last night 4-2. Meanwhile in DC, Dillion Gee won his 10th game of season and making a great bid for 2011 NL Rookie of the Year honors. Mets won over the Nats.

However the big news in MLB last night as the regular(no-waivers)trade deadline is fast almost here on Sunday 7/31/11. In an already great day for Philly sports teams as the NFL's Eagles signed the best available free agent defensive player in the 2011 pre training camp signing period in Nnamdi Asomugha, the Phillies also joined the party.

In a strong reply to possible NLCS rival the Giants getting former Met Carlos Beltran, the Phils also made a major mid season pick-up. Philly gets OF Hunter Pence. I am sure our super Phils fan Patco Man is smiling right now.

With that said, it looks more and more likely barring injuries, the Phils and Giants may meet again in a rematch of the 2011 NLCS come playoff time.

Meanwhile congrats to Albert Pujols on getting his 2,000 hit on the road to a probable HOF career.

Finally so far the Yankees have not done a trade. Stay tuned as this weekend maybe the busy not only in the NFL, but also in MLB.B)

In a strong reply to possible NLCS rival the Giants getting former Met Carlos Beltran, the Phils also made a major mid season pick-up. Philly gets OF Hunter Pence. I am sure our super Phils fan Patco Man is smiling right now.

With that said, it looks more and more likely barring injuries, the Phils and Giants may meet again in a rematch of the 2011 NLCS come playoff time.

Hunter Pence is actually quite a good player. He's not a superstar, but he can get the job done.

It appears that the Rockies and Yankees have something going on. The Rockies wanted Ivan Nova, Montero and either Bunuelos or Betances in exchange for Ubaldo Jimenez.

It appears that the Rockies and Yankees have something going on. The Rockies wanted Ivan Nova, Montero and either Bunuelos or Betances in exchange for Ubaldo Jimenez.

I'd rather we keep Nova. He could be part of the rotation next year. We've already seen what he could do, and he's pitching tonight as well.

@SISubway -- so you'd rather play 92 games against division rivals per season? That translates into five more games against the Phils for you guys, most of which you'd likely lose. Only hurts your chances.

And on the interleague issue: when you have teams like Boston or the Yankees going to a National League town sales skyrocket. Interleague is fine the way it is, what with Boston having their DH taken away for nine games and struggling mightily.

I'd rather we keep Nova. He could be part of the rotation next year. We've already seen what he could do, and he's pitching tonight as well.

I was just talkin about this to a relative....

Before they sent Nova down, he was doin better than AJ..... He absolutely could be a part of the rotation next year, as a 3, or if the yanks don't end up trading someone, a #2 starter (especially if hughes doesn't get back to form).....

AJ's a lost cause; he's gotten way too many passes over the years... a #2 pitcher should not be straddling at .500.... this is why Ubaldo is being mentioned in trade talks in the first place....

I also would rather have Nova over Ubaldo... for some reason, I see room for growth w/ Nova; I think he could be as dominant as Wang was when he was here.... Ubaldo I don't see him being much better or worse than what he currently is; he's already established, so to speak.....

I was just talkin about this to a relative....

Before they sent Nova down, he was doin better than AJ..... He absolutely could be a part of the rotation next year, as a 3, or if the yanks don't end up trading someone, a #2 starter (especially if hughes doesn't get back to form).....

AJ's a lost cause; he's gotten way too many passes over the years... a #2 pitcher should not be straddling at .500.... this is why Ubaldo is being mentioned in trade talks in the first place....

I also would rather have Nova over Ubaldo... for some reason, I see room for growth w/ Nova; I think he could be as dominant as Wang was when he was here.... Ubaldo I don't see him being much better or worse than what he currently is; he's already established, so to speak.....

Let's be fair to AJ for a minute here... he's pitched a couple games this year really well but still got the loss since the bats fizzled. But generally I agree with you. AJ is too boom or bust.

Let's be fair to AJ for a minute here... he's pitched a couple games this year really well but still got the loss since the bats fizzled. But generally I agree with you. AJ is too boom or bust.

7, I hear you fam.... but me, I've run out of patience with the guy....

first it was his injury proneness (I'm glad he's been durable w/ his stint here, I'll give him that much).... But this whole lack of focus supposedly tied to some mental issue he was having last year, and apparently this year also... I'm watchin this guy pitch, and it's like... When is it all gonna come together; when is it all gonna "click"....

I'm tired of the mental excuse... everytime he starts, it's either feast or famine..... a high amt. of k's/appearance, or he gets knocked out in less than 5...... I'm not just talkin about this year, but overall w/ him here in NY - as our number 2, he's got to put up or shutup... it's been what, his 3rd season here......

He's not doin that much better than Colon or Garcia (if, at all)..... 2 guys who were brought here to basically pitch .500 ball (w/ the retirement of Pettitte).... A team that's 20 games over 500 don't need a 3rd guy pitching at that same mark.... Makes you worry come playoff time, ya know.....

I really wish Seattle get a dose of reality and start to offer Pineda or King Felix. Obviously, they aren't going to survive with only two great pitchers. Their offense has been a struggle for years already and they still haven't bothered to do anything about it. King Felix or Pineda ought to be offered for a few decent hitting prospects and a pitcher and in a few years Seattle might be contenders. IMHO, Jack Zdur&(@(&(*@ and the Mariners are giving their fans a slap in the face by not doing anything to improve their already shitty team

Also, apparently the Rox have lowered their asking price

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43956841/ns/sports-player_news/

I would still refuse to throw in Nova though. However, if the Rockies accept Hughes instead then I think it would be a no doubter for Cashman

Just stated on the Yankees broadcast that Jimenez has reportedly been traded to Cleveland.

The Yankees have also scored 12 runs in the first inning. Gotta feel sorry for Zach Britton -- in a total of one inning in the Major Leagues he's given up 17 runs, 13 earned, against the Red Sox and Yankees.

Archived