The 2011 Major & Minor League, College Baseball & Baseball Card Thread

EE Broadway Local

Baseball 2011:

For now, the first-half success and warm stories appear to be on hold, or maybe fading.

The Pirates, on an eight (8) game losing streak this morning find themselves at 54 - 57 (.486) now eight (8) games behind the Brewers; The Nationals (Yay! I remembered!) find themselves at 54 -58 (.482) now 19 games behind the Phillies and The Indians find themselves 55 -55 now four (4) games behind the Tigers.

The Mets (Yay!! I also remembered!!) are staying right around .500 and find themselves at 55 - 56.

This season, I'm kind of amazed by the Yankees. They're competitive and are engaging in yet another classic Yankees-Red Sox race/battle.

After defeating the Red Sox 3 to 2 last night, my team is 69 -42, good for .622 and 27 games over .500. They're also back in first (1st) place in the A.L. East, one (1) game over those Red Sox. :(

C.C., helping the Yankees again this seaon, and with a 16 and 5 start tries for his 17th win today.

I would have to say C.C. ranks among the Yankees' finest free angent acquistions over the years.

While not at .300, I feel The Captain is helping with his .277 average. Keep in mind he is 37 years old and in his 17th season as a Shortstop.

As long as the Yankees have a stout lineup, a solid #1 starter and other pitchers who overachieve they will always be competitive.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to sound like FG here, but I have doubts if CC pitches against boston in the ALCS [if they should meet]. I don't get how Boston can still beat him while Colon did better. This is a game they should've won against a shakey Lackey.

I am happy with last night's game that Logan proved very valuable in that moment to shut Boston down with the bases full. Kudos to him. But I still think of him as a mixed bag.

Hate to sound like FG here, but I have doubts if CC pitches against boston in the ALCS [if they should meet]. I don't get how Boston can still beat him while Colon did better. This is a game they should've won against a shakey Lackey.

I am happy with last night's game that Logan proved very valuable in that moment to shut Boston down with the bases full. Kudos to him. But I still think of him as a mixed bag.

I disagree. CC will face the Sox regardless if either two teams advance to the LCS. Just because he is winless against the Sox does not mean anything. It's all a small sample size, CC can bounce back. Last year and the year before he was pitching better against them. If this was A.J. it would happen. True that they could have beaten Lackey (who thinks he's better than AJ which he's not), just don't know why they have trouble against him.

What a weird defensive day for the Mets:

The Mets started Nick Evans at 1B (unusual for how good Murphy has been with the bat), Turner at 2B, Reyes at SS, Wright at 3B, Bay at LF, Pagan at CF, Scott Hairston at RF, and Ronny Paulino at C. Reyes was removed because of a "stiff left hamstring", and Willie Harris was put at second. Turner was moved to SS. Then Harris was removed and Daniel Murphy was put at 2B. George Constanza took him out, and Scott Hairston moved to 2B. Lucas Duda came in to play RF. A few innings after, Turner went back to 2B, Hairston back to RF, Nick Evans to 3B, and Wright, for the first time in his professional career, played a different position at SS. Then Thole came to play catcher.

Quite some movement there.

Doesn't matter who the Mets put at any position. Their pitching always blows their wins into losses.

Also, one of my biggest concerns about Sabathia is that he can easily say he wants Prince Fielder on the team or else he won't return to the Yanks for 2012. If Sabathia says that, then the Yankees with no doubt will go after Fielder, which means we have a very expensive DH. Hopefully Sabathia won't do anything like that so the Yankees can start to spend money on players that they actually need.

Finally, I don't see why Giradi refuses to put Burnett in the long-relief role or the mop up role. In my opinion, Burnett should be kicked out of the rotation until he proves he can be consistent

This is no B.S.......

On August 28th the Texas Rangers are giving away "Texas Rangers Footballs"

saw the ad on Fox news southwest during the game...Only in Texas

I guess the Cowboys will be giving away golf clubs this season:)

Oh and Michael Young just got his 2000th hit:tup::tup::tup:

This is no B.S.......

On August 28th the Texas Rangers are giving away "Texas Rangers Footballs"

saw the ad on Fox news southwest during the game...Only in Texas

I guess the Cowboys will be giving away golf clubs this season:)

Oh and Michael Young just got his 2000th hit:tup::tup::tup:

Inresting story lol. As a Yankee fan myself, your club is the team in a possible playoff series (even more than the Red Sox or Tigers)right now I would not be happy to play against.

With that said welcome to the 2011 mlb thread. Here Mets, Giants, Red Sox, Phillies even Yankee, Ranger and other MLB fans live peacefully as brothers and sisters lol.

Not that many (other than recent bandwagon fans lol)Texas Rangers but alot of NY Rangers in Metro NYC.:eek:

Tonight of all nights has to be the night Mo blows his fifth save... just when everything was going right... and now Hughes most likely can't pitch Tuesday either...

I blame Nunez in part... there's no reason he should have charged that bunt with the runner on second...

I just got through watchin the recap on MLB network; I don't watch yankee/red sox games on ESPN no more; too much freakin stanning........

I don't blame Hughes, I don't blame Mo, and I don't blame Nunez.....

No way does Boston lose a sunday night game on ESPN on a Brett Gardner homerun....

The way that 9th and that 10th inning played out for Boston, somethin just was not right....

Only person I give DAP to, is Garcia; this was supposed to be the game the yankees would get taxed (as opposed to the game on saturday).....

On to the next one....

Tonight of all nights has to be the night Mo blows his fifth save... just when everything was going right... and now Hughes most likely can't pitch Tuesday either...

I blame Nunez in part... there's no reason he should have charged that bunt with the runner on second...

Not really, when a bunt is down, the third baseman is suppose to charge down home plate to get the ball, ditto first baseman. I thought Jeter should have covered third. I also thought the Yankees did not expected a bunt from Ellsbury with the season he's having.

On to the next one....

Slight correction...

On to the next THIRTY...

We don't get another off day for a month after today.

Not really, when a bunt is down, the third baseman is suppose to charge down home plate to get the ball, ditto first baseman. I thought Jeter should have covered third. I also thought the Yankees did not expected a bunt from Ellsbury with the season he's having.

Jeter probably would not have made it to third in time. When there's a runner on second someone has to cover third. Considering Mo is one of the better fielding pitchers out there -- and they even said this on the broadcast -- Nunez should have gone back to third instead of charging so there would at least be a play at third. But as soon as he jumped forward it was too late to do anything else, setting up the sac fly.

Of course, lay down a good bunt and there's no play anywhere, but it wasn't a good bunt.

I will add to B35's comment that none of the pitchers are to blame. THe offense is to blame. They wasted so many opportunities to score one extra run: Cano grounding out with 2 outs and bases loaded. Another inning where Gardner stole 2nd but was left on base. If they just squeezed out one more insurance run, this game would've been theirs. Such a terrible shame to let victory get away like that.

To expect that Garcia and Colon [though short outings] would be able to hold Boston to 1-2 runs compared to CC, that was the most impressive part of this series. I tip my cap to the vets and both pitched against very good pitchers in Lester and Beckett. Almost bizzaro if you think about it [Lackey beating CC].

I know winning a season series is meaningless in the perhaps long run, but this is just terrible at least from a pride aspect. To get back to 'respectability' the Yankees would have to sweep the remaining games. imo

I will add to B35's comment that none of the pitchers are to blame. THe offense is to blame. They wasted so many opportunities to score one extra run: Cano grounding out with 2 outs and bases loaded. Another inning where Gardner stole 2nd but was left on base. If they just squeezed out one more insurance run, this game would've been theirs. Such a terrible shame to let victory get away like that.

To expect that Garcia and Colon [though short outings] would be able to hold Boston to 1-2 runs compared to CC, that was the most impressive part of this series. I tip my cap to the vets and both pitched against very good pitchers in Lester and Beckett. Almost bizzaro if you think about it [Lackey beating CC].

I know winning a season series is meaningless in the perhaps long run, but this is just terrible at least from a pride aspect. To get back to 'respectability' the Yankees would have to sweep the remaining games. imo

I wasn't blaming the pitchers at all. Just bemoaning the fact that last night was the night that Mo blew a save (he's only human. it was coming eventually, the only question was when), and now since Hughes was used he can't pitch tomorrow.

With the win last night Boston has already won the season series... even if we win all of the remaining games we'd be 8-10.

@R68 -- edit your posts instead of making a new post. Seriously.

He was released from the Padres and claimed off waivers by the Mets.

He is from Whitestone, Queens, went to Molloy H.S.

Let's see what he can do since his position is LF.

From here on out I would only use Bay as a platoon player.

Murphy and Reyes to the DL, tough break for Murphy, he was getting the

job done offensively. I would bring him back next year without a doubt.

I wasn't blaming the pitchers at all. Just bemoaning the fact that last night was the night that Mo blew a save (he's only human. it was coming eventually, the only question was when), and now since Hughes was used he can't pitch tomorrow.

With the win last night Boston has already won the season series... even if we win all of the remaining games we'd be 8-10.

@R68 -- edit your posts instead of making a new post. Seriously.

Boston has had Mo's number in the past ever since 2004 it seems, but concidering he only gave up the single run because no one covered 3rd base wasn't really that terrible. Mo blew other saves like the one in Toronto this year. So Mo was just dealing the hand he was delt in that situation. I still blame the amount of runners left on base by blown opportunities to at least tack on some extra runs.

Using Hughes then was a mistake, but for pitching one inning: how long does this take him out before he can start [if he's still given a spot in the rotation]?

I know, I don't really care if they won the season series, but I don't want the season to end where the Yankees only managed 2 wins against Boston. 2004 is bad enough...

Yeah, R68 has been 'unsuspended'. I just don't understand why he still 'spamming' like that. He did that in a few random photo threads too.

Boston has had Mo's number in the past ever since 2004 it seems, but concidering he only gave up the single run because no one covered 3rd base wasn't really that terrible. Mo blew other saves like the one in Toronto this year. So Mo was just dealing the hand he was delt in that situation. I still blame the amount of runners left on base by blown opportunities to at least tack on some extra runs.

This is true.

Using Hughes then was a mistake, but for pitching one inning: how long does this take him out before he can start [if he's still given a spot in the rotation]?

At least Saturday. The rotation for the Angels series is Burnett-Nova-Colon, and I assume CC will go on Friday. I would think the Yankees would want him to make this start no matter what.

I know, I don't really care if they won the season series, but I don't want the season to end where the Yankees only managed 2 wins against Boston. 2004 is bad enough...

As long as we get first place. If we beat everyone else up enough it can happen.

The season series record is important if the two first place teams are tied -- whichever team won the season series gets first place. At least, that's how I think it goes, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That is correct- about the season series winner. They both tied in terms of the record in maybe 2005, but the Yankees won the division.

I just hope the Yankees win the division and secure home field just like 2009.

That is correct- about the season series winner. They both tied in terms of the record in maybe 2005, but the Yankees won the division.

In MLB if both teams in a division qualify for the playoffs then season series is first tiebreaker. For instance if Yanks and Sox has 100-62 record and NY won the season series then Yanks would get the division and Boston the wild card. After season series, the next tiebreakers for MLB post season spots include 1)Better intra division record 2)Better record vs rest of the '2' other divisions and interleague 4)coin flip.

That what i read somewhere but someone can correct me on the next tiebreakers after season series.

A 'play-in' game is used if two teams are tied (for division or wild card)and the 'loser' would get sent home since there no other playoff spots.

Two years ago the Twins and Tigers played a classic 'sudden death play-in' game to determine the 2009 AL Central winner.

Hope it clears it up.:confused:

Archived