LIRR service advisory thread

metsfan

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread to keep a record of and updates on service advisories for the LIRR.

Here is the first one from today.

"MTA Long Island Rail Road

Service Alert

Monday, May 5, 2008 9:45 PM

Ronkonkoma Branch Customers:

LIRR service on the Ronkonkoma Branch has been restored using one of two tracks. Service was suspended earlier between Farmingdale and Ronkonkoma as result of a westbound train striking a bicyclist at the Stewart Avenue crossing in Bethpage.

The train involved in the incident, the 7:58 PM westbound train from Ronkonkoma to Penn Station, is being held at the site of the incident. The customers from this train are delayed approximately 1 hour and will be accommodated by the 9:11 PM westbound train from Ronkonkoma to Penn Station.

The 8:15 PM eastbound train from Penn Station to Ronkonkoma is operating approximately 30 minutes late."

- Andy

I don't understand how the LIRR train could hit a biker. Do they not see the bells/horns/railroad crossing signals?

I dunno either, all i know is that people die there several times a year, perhaps one of the gates didn't lower, maybe ride between them? I hope it wasn't my ex, as she bike to work down that ave from her house.

- andy

• 4 weeks later...

"MTA Long Island Rail Road

Service Alert

Monday, June 2, 2008 4:30 PM

LIRR Customers:

During testing to upgrade Ticket Machine computer software, some Long Island Rail Road customers were mistakenly charged on their credit card for ticket purchases they did not make. Immediate steps have been taken to reverse these charges and make full reimbursement to the accounts of all customers affected. For affected customers, LIRR conductors will honor May monthly tickets through 10 AM Tuesday, June 3. The LIRR regrets any inconvenience this error may have caused. Customers with additional questions may call the LIRR's Automated Ticket Sales Office, toll free, at 1-877-547-7876."

- Andy

Archived