NE Corridor eavesdropping

Gotham Bus Co.

Yak a mouths. Talk like a machine, loud and never-ending, and ya get what ya get.

Subjects like the kind that got leaked out would always be discussed in phone booths, hidden corners, or at least a place where there were no ears. But no, cell phones and the mindless redux of supposed impressive vocabulary is intended hold casual listeners in shock and awe, spreading the 'wow' factor BAM!! POW!! - style. It's not surprising when a psychology student did a crude observation that cell phone gabbers talk louder when many others are present, as opposed to doing it in an emptier environment, even across noise level variants to avoid the conclusion that the gabber is loud because others are loud as well. The otherwise quiet and soothing Acela environs being torpedoed by assassins of our eardrums, only galvanizes the conclusion.

Related topic: the N/Q Astoria line is having heavy duty rehab requiring the use of cranes and track laying machines, in the vacinity of the 30th Ave. station. And yesterday I saw TWO workers yakking on their phones, while on the affected track. Don't think i'm overstepping my bounds when warning all ye maintenance workers: if you want your life, or at least both arms and legs, please keep the phone in your pocket and pretend there's a poisonous snake in there.

Archived