Anyone ride any express buses...

Harry

never

I was wonderig if student passes are allowed? And will be fared as any NYCTA route?

Are they allowed?

Nope. I took them throughout high school, and like R62A said, you have to put in your student card, then pay the remaining $2.50 in coins.

I ride the X63 to work twice a week. It's usually a reliable route (though it has its moments, especially on the Van Wyck). The thing I like about the express bus is that you have a nice and comfortable seat. You can sleep, read the newspaper, or listen to an ipod. On a subway you would be standing in a crush loaded car. Although the X63 is the route I use the most the route that's actually closest to my house is the QM21. Other routes I've been on include the QM1A, X1,X17a,X29,X64,X68,BM2,BxM7, and BxM11.

yep...

matter of fact, I took the BM3 to the B35 coming home today (well, the 1 train to the BM3 to the B35)....

It's gotten to a point where I make it a habit to ride an express bus at least once a week.... even if it's a Bronx, Queens, or SI exp. route (being that I reside in Brooklyn)....

don't feel like compiling a long list, but the Queens exp. routes I ride often, are the QM2 & the QM16 (I always tend to catch the ~6:45pm bus @ 37th/6th... a tall bald headed white guy operates that run everytime I board it... maybe someone knows who I'm talking about; out of spring creek)... SI routes I often ride are the X7 (since it's close to where I work), the X15, and the X30/31 (whichever arrives on 42nd b/w 5th & 6th first)... as for Bronx routes, I usually gun for the BxM18 or the BxM2...

Guest Charles

For me, often when I get out of school late because of track, I'll take the QM10 or QM12, whichever one comes first. Lots of nice drivers, well-maintained buses, comfy seats, etc. Mornings are a lot more crowded than the afternoons. I think the service on the LaGuardia lines is EXTREMELY good.

I've also taken the QM2A Super Express (that thing is mad fast), QM18, X68, BxM2, BxM6, X2, and X10.

• 4 weeks later...

Harry how the serach for an apartment in Bay Ridge going?

I used to be a semi regular express bus rider on the X-27-28(x37-38)and pretty much it like a ride on a LIRR/MNRR/NJ Transit train. Only negative of course is the traffic problems.

For those of you who think the X-27/28 weekend ervice should be canned, IMO it a mistake? A service cut to a bus every hour on Saturdays/Sundays yes.

The X-27/28 provides many riders particuarly seniors and the ADA community access to lower and Mid Manhattan from SW Brooklyn.

Most of the subway stations in SW Brooklyn near the nearby "D" 'N" and "R" lines are not ada/wheelchair accessible.

Plus you got a huge senior population living in Dyker Heights and Bensonhurst too. Plus you get a few middle class customers especially Woman who would only drive to the 'city' on the weekends and never take the subway off the roads too.

Rather than ACCESS A Ride running an express bus still is cheaper than that service or paying for taxi/car service for disabled and eldery customers.

I know i used to live in SW Brooklyn in Coney Island area.

I say a better compromise to ending the X27/28 is 1)reduce service 2)Running regular size buses with padded seats instead of the MCI on the X27/28 late evening and all day weekends.

I've taken the Staten Island Buses for fun once and a while, but I live in an area heavy served by the subway (Park Slope), but sometimes when i visit friends in the more remote areas of Southern Brooklyn, I take the express bus, if coming from Manhattan.

I've taken:

X17 (once)

X1 (once)

BM1 (2 times)

BM4 (once)

I've taken express buses about four times, two to a dentist appointment, and another two for fun. Eventually, I might have to start taking the QM1 (or one of it's other letters).

Having 20 of them pass you while waiting for the Q46 is not a fun as they said it would be in the brochure. :D

If you want to talk abotu express, ride #2134 out of Ulmer Park. That bus right there is ungoverned, loud, kind of raggity, no A/C but the engine is serious! Every driver in that depot knows about #2134.

Yeah we have one at Yonkers too, not very ragged at all. Some of us know about it, so I'll keep it a secret.(NYCT)

Guest Charles
OK, just checking I've a driver at Yonkers Depot for about 4 years. It's always good to meet another transit fan. How did the BxM11 or the Other Yonkers Depot routes work out for you?

let me ask you a question please. roughly how many people take weekend Bx express bus service? let's say going to manhattan around 9AM and back to the bronx about 7 PM

I grow up in SW Brooklyn(Sea Gate/Coney Island) to be exact and taking the X28/38 was a life saver at times especially during the Manhattan Bridge/Stillwell Terminal reconstuction.

Do i support NYC express buses yes without a doubt? However due to the budget crisis i do admit some routes need to be either reduced or say weekend and late evening service gone.

As someone w/ knowledge of Bensonhurst, Dyker Heights, and CI areas i say this for those of calling for ending X-27/28 weekend service.

If most or all of the SW Brooklyn subway stations on the "D" "N" and "R" lines were ADA accessible then i would agree with the TA's proposal 100%.

However they are not ADA at the moment and thus unfair for seniors/disabled in the many nursing homes along the X27/28 route have a reasonable cost to get to Manhattan on the weekend. AAR is unrelible at best.

I do agree 30-minute headways on Saturdays for the X-27/28 is way too much and offer this 'compromise.' The headways for the X-27 and X-28 should be every hour and the last bus leaving midtown on the X-27/28 should be around 8pm weekends.

I grow up in SW Brooklyn(Sea Gate/Coney Island) to be exact and taking the X28/38 was a life saver at times especially during the Manhattan Bridge/Stillwell Terminal reconstuction.

I do agree 30-minute headways on Saturdays for the X-27/28 is way too much and offer this 'compromise.' The headways for the X-27 and X-28 should be every hour and the last bus leaving midtown on the X-27/28 should be around 8pm weekends.

Nah, but the BxM10 needs to decrease service at night, I always see a Midtown bound BxM10 after 8PM and the next one comes in 10 minutes and same for the next one. There be like 0-3 people on the bus.

The same goes for alot of trips out of my depot. There are times I run a round trip empty. And for my Sunday work I carry only about 30-40 all day across 6 trips. Peak direction w/ pullins in manhattan would sve alot of money even if they still have to pay the swing time. You don't have buses runnin aroun getting hit by cabs and blowin' fuel on DHD's back to Yonkers or Eastchester(NYCT)

Archived