Anyone ride any express buses...

Harry

x25, x29 - back when the RTS 1700s & 1800s ran on them.

x27, x28, x37. x38 - my dad was the driver - so I'd always look out for his for my ride home from the city.

BM1 Uptown Super Exp - used to ride this on really really hot summer days. Always got stuck with Orions though - and they never had good A/C.

I have ridden a lot of express routes over the years.

These are the routes that I frequent.

QM1/QM1A and QM4: Those 2 are within walking distance from my building

BXM1: I have a few friends along that route and it's the best way for me to go up to Marble Hill and Riverdale. Sucks that the BXM1 don't stop at 225 and Broadway.

BXM3: Mainly at night heading south when I come from my best friends house

BXM11: Only because I know 2 B/O's on that line currently.

Here are a few of my favorites, boro by boro.

Bronx

BXM3: It's a unique line to me

BXM6: Short but nice

BXM7B: Only rode it once on my way to a party in City Island. It's an interesting route as it's got that city to rural area feel to it.

BXM10: I just like it for some strange reason

BXM18: To me it's a unique route

Brooklyn

BM1: It's a interesing route with plenty of action

BM3: This route is pretty fast, even on Ocean Ave

X27: Fast and scenic

Queens

QM1A NST: Another fast route and also pretty scenic as well.

QM1A G/O: Same as above but throw in a lot of turns as well.

QM4: Nice and short route

QM17: Pretty scenic route. Rode it once just because.

X63: A interesting route with alot of turns and good speed runs as well

Staten Island

X1: It's a interesting ride

X5: The more scenic version of the X1

X17: A lot of highway time and pretty scenic. More scenic on the X17J

X22: A lot of highway time and scenic as well

Manhattan

X25: It's a unique route to me

x25, x29 - back when the RTS 1700s & 1800s ran on them.

x27, x28, x37. x38 - my dad was the driver - so I'd always look out for his for my ride home from the city.

BM1 Uptown Super Exp - used to ride this on really really hot summer days. Always got stuck with Orions though - and they never had good A/C.

I'll tell you one thing though those V CNGs got serious heat! I rode the BM5 and I must say I was starting to sweat on that bus. The BM5 is a pretty cool route in my opinion so far. B)

I just came from riding the BxM9 with #7426 and let me tell you, the #742x series in Eastchester are fast enough to keep up, even outrun some CAT engines. The engines in those #742x are called Detroit Diesel Series 60 EGR, I didn't know they had EGR until I did some research. These are the NYBL MCIs and boy are they fast. John even said "Ohh lord I need a seatbelt next time I ride these."

yeah man. those got alot of improvement when moved to (MTA)

NYBS maintence was BETTER than MTA maintence!! Their fishbowls and MCI classics were in like new condition until the time of their retirement. They kept a high standard on the apperence of their buses. Thankfully that NYBS mentally stayed once they got taken over by the MTA. Their MCI's be lookin fresh. :)

The express buses are great to ride in. First hardly anyone bothers me. You do not usually get the "locos" that ride the locals. Since I live on Staten Island, it is a better alternate to the ferry at night. There are some characters on the boat late at night. I just wish the x1 and x17 would operate 24 hours daily. It become hard to go to the Mets game on a Sunday night, coming home at 2am via the ferry then the s78.

I drive the BxM2 on Monday's and have trips on the BxM11 on Monday's & Thursday's I do the BxM11 all day on Saturday. I wear the old fashion Ralph Kramden hat, Maybe Six you rode my bus?(NYCT)

I might have been on your bus... if you did the 11 yesterday...

was on a NB run... got on @ 27th/madison @ 3:10pm.... got off @ 232nd st...

Guest Charles
The X63 I got on the other day had Christmas decorations. Definitely better than taking a screeching and overcrowded E train with bums and rats.

SN851102.jpg

SN851100.jpg

Nice pics, Queesn Village has always been one of my favorite depots. If only other depots could follow.

• 2 weeks later...

I rode the X17 via new jeresy on monday, thats a VERY nice ride. Thats the best MTA express bus route IMO. It was awsome riding an NYCT bus on the NJ turnpike its very senic you get to see NJT MMC shops and other stuff. Ive noticed MTA MCI's are slow compared to MCI from other bus compines. MCI's from coach USA and other TA's were blowing past us like we were standing still. Got off at SI mall and took the S79 back to brooklyn (Also I fially saw where yukon depot was located).

I rode the X17 via new jeresy on monday, thats a VERY nice ride. Thats the best MTA express bus route IMO. It was awsome riding an NYCT bus on the NJ turnpike its very senic you get to see NJT MMC shops and other stuff. Ive noticed MTA MCI's are slow compared to MCI from other bus compines. MCI's from coach USA and other TA's were blowing past us like we were standing still. Got off at SI mall and took the S79 back to brooklyn (Also I fially saw where yukon depot was located).
That is why you need to hop on #2134, #2204, #2876, #2203 (that bus is retarded but fast, you kneel it and it loses just about all air pressure), and much more from Ulmer Park. #2011 from Castleton is freaking fast too. Don't even make me get into the #742x. :)

I think the MTA MCI's have governors that limit the maximum speed to 45 mph. Still, the X17J is a nice ride. When it gets warm I'll try that route out.

That is why you need to hop on #2134, #2204, #2876, #2203 (that bus is retarded but fast, you kneel it and it loses just about all air pressure), and much more from Ulmer Park. #2011 from Castleton is freaking fast too. Don't even make me get into the #742x. :rolleyes:
I seen 2134 quite a few times in mantthan and at UP depot, but never rode it though. I gotta busfan UP express bus routes, the X29 goes near my house but I always end up fanning the Spring creek express routes. Love them surbubuan CNG's!! :D

I think the MTA MCI's have governors that limit the maximum speed to 45 mph. Still, the X17J is a nice ride. When it gets warm I'll try that route out.

I think the reason why thier governed that slow is because its less wear and tear and most express bus routes aren't on the highway for a long time. I think SI express buses should be govern a bit higher like 70 to 75 MPH IMO. The funny thing is that it seems like surbuban Orion V CNG's at spring creek don't even have governors. One time I rode on an CNG and it felt like the bus was going at least 60 to 70 MPH in the battery tunnel.

Archived