Acquiring CDL Class B Permit

Acela Express

Pre-note: apologize if this is not the 'proper' forum for the question, but I figure someone here should know since you do need this permit before progressing through the initiation stages of MTA hiring [Transit Career Discussion]. Thanks.

I've recently acquired the 3 subject categories to be eligible for the Class B CDL permit: passenger endorsement, general knowledge & air brakes. The rep. who I spoke with at the office did state I needed an medical examination to receive the permit 100%.

I also viewed this thread: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10136&page=2 ... and reason mixed posts regarding the fact you need a physical or not. Can someone confirm what's the current requirement?

Yeah your good to go and Congrats on getting this GOLDCARD that I call the CDL ..... Now as far as the Medical , That is Required for 19-A certification on B Pass SVC so usually when you get hired by A Company they send you to the Docs thus check up and boom your Medical Card.

Godspeed

Yeah your good to go and Congrats on getting this GOLDCARD that I call the CDL ..... Now as far as the Medical , That is Required for 19-A certification on B Pass SVC so usually when you get hired by A Company they send you to the Docs thus check up and boom your Medical Card.

Godspeed

Thanks bro.

The physical given by MTA is equivalent to the medical examination I need - is that what you're saying?

If so, everything's f-ing sweet then; I just need to wait it out.

The DMV clerk was wrong while KR and Flex gave you the correct answer.

Since I didn't know any better when I got my CDL back in 08 I took the DOT physical, it is valid for up to 2 years, when it came time to renew my CDL I didn't

take the physical so I had an A3 restriction put on my CDL.

To get the A3 restriction off your CDL all you have to do is bring a medical card down to the DMV at any time and they will remove the restriction, it's not like your stuck with it if you don't have a medical card when you take the exam for the permit or road test.

I personally have never paid for a DOT physical, it's something the employer usually picks up... So if you are working for a place (like lets say sanitation) that doesn't require a medical card, no biggie, get the A3 restriction (or pay for the physical if you don't want it)... ...and let the next job or side job pick up the tab for the physical, and get the A3 restriction removed.

It's not a big deal, it's not like an employer is going to over look someone with an A3 restriction, because it's easily removed with a trip to the doctor and to the DMV...

Oh something to keep in mind... Removing the A3 restriction... To "reissue" your CDL the DMV charges you a fee per year for however many years you have left on your license, it's not a huge fee (but might be if you are out of work)...

Lets say your license expires in two years, that fee times 2 years... Lets say it expires in 8 year, that fee times 8... Lets say you license expires in 2 years and 1 month, that fee times 3 years... etc etc

So when you change your class D to a class B, they will hit you with that fee. If you have a medical card on that day, it will be included and you will not get an A3 restriction. If not, as everyone has mentioned they will give you an A3 restriction, and when you go back to the DMV at whatever date in the future with your medical card to have it removed, they hit you with the fee again to "reissue" your license.

FYI, whatever expiration date you have your class D now, will be the expiration date you have on your CDL when you get it (it's not good starting that date for 8 yrs)... So if you have 8 yrs, 3 yrs, 2 yrs, 3 months, that is how long your CDL is good for and you have to $$$PAY NY$$$ when that time comes, no matter how long or short of time that may be.

Oh something to keep in mind... Removing the A3 restriction... To "reissue" your CDL the DMV charges you a fee per year for however many years you have left on your license, it's not a huge fee (but might be if you are out of work)...

Lets say your license expires in two years, that fee times 2 years... Lets say it expires in 8 year, that fee times 8... Lets say you license expires in 2 years and 1 month, that fee times 3 years... etc etc

So when you change your class D to a class B, they will hit you with that fee. If you have a medical card on that day, it will be included and you will not get an A3 restriction. If not, as everyone has mentioned they will give you an A3 restriction, and when you go back to the DMV at whatever date in the future with your medical card to have it removed, they hit you with the fee again to "reissue" your license.

FYI, whatever expiration date you have your class D now, will be the expiration date you have on your CDL when you get it (it's not good starting that date for 8 yrs)... So if you have 8 yrs, 3 yrs, 2 yrs, 3 months, that is how long your CDL is good for and you have to $$$PAY NY$$$ when that time comes, no matter how long or short of time that may be.

You are right Burrstone when I made my CDL back in 2008 I only paid about $35.00.because my class D expired in Nov. 2010 the CDL had the same expiration date. I had the medical cert.(49CFR Part 391) at that time because it was required by the driving school,I also thought that when I went for the permit earlier I also needed the med. cert. as per DMV ?? Actually I had 2 med. cert .while at the driving school because the first I had for the permit but the driving school said I need to be checked by their doctor in order to be enrolled in the school thus the second.?? I renewed my license last Nov.and it cost about $180.00" whew" (thank you New York State they need the money,I guess I do not).Thanks to a access a ride job that I did not get but was sent for a medical exam and I was issued the cert. I was able to renew my license with no restrictions but the cert. expires this April. Now if I let the med.cert.expire the license has no A3 restriction and is good for 8 years ,this may seem OK but I was told by a driving school instructor if you are stopped by truck enforcement police or if involved in a accident you will asked for the cert. because the license has no A3 restriction this could be a problem. Please let me know if this info is correct . Thanks.

NYWBRR, if you do not have an A3 restriction on your license you will need to renew your medical certificate. Unless you wanted to go back to the DMV to pay for a A3 restriction to be reissued on your CDL, and then pay to have your CDL reissued when you get another medical card. Considering the doctors visit would cost less than that... I'll take a guess which way you will go. :P

If you are having trouble paying for the doctors exam, you can rest easy knowing many jobs issue them like candy as part of the application process.

After rereading your post, I think you are asking if you have no job will you need to keep a current medical examiners card? (go slow with me I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet :P )

Like you are driving your car and you get pulled over, will they ask you for your medical card/can you get in trouble for not having one?

Good question. I would say no, as the law states you need one to drive a commercial motor vehicle and a regular passenger vehicle is not a commercial vehicle.

If however, you are asking if you need a current medical card to drive any commercial vehicle including a school bus or municipal vehicle without an A3 restriction, the answer is yes.

The A3 restriction is your permission slip to drive a school or municipal vehicle without a medical examiners report.

The medcial card I was told by this training school that has a doctor for the cert. said you are right you don,t need it driving a car,however you do need it at all times if you drive a commerical vehicile including like you say a school bus or municipal vehicle without an A3 restriction. I did plan on renewing it even if at the moment I am not driving a CMV.Its like a inspection sticker in a way for a driver. Just one thing I was wondering why did this access a ride company in the Bronx required their drivers to not have a A-3.They only have the crown vics. no mini-buses and said that the cars are still commerical vehicles and you do need the P endorsement which I can understand because you are tranporting passangers but do they take passangers to say NJ or CT.???

I've been neglecting this topic for over a week for some reason (don't ask), sorry.

I was given a postcard size DMV paper 'X'ing' off the endorsements I passed for the Class B permit. Now according to you guys, my medical paperwork can be done via the required physical during the hiring process. Fine. Prior to the physical, do I receive anything from DMV, at all? A permit with the 'A3' restriction, or what? I took the exam two weeks ago and didn't receive anything in the mail yet.

To reiterate what I have in my possession, currently:

- the DMV endorsements 'postcard', and ...

- a blank medical form supplied by DMV

... nothing else at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

If you've passed the written test for the permit and didn't have your medical card you'll receive the hard copy of your permit in the mail that will have the "A3" restriction on it...

I've been neglecting this thread as well (actually the forum), busy... Sorry.

If there's anything else I can help you with please let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone helping me out with this issue.

I spoke with another member here who receive their CDL A3 permit as well.

I need to get back down to DMV and have this straighten out so I can receive my permit properly. Would any DMV be able to take care of my issue, or do I need to go back to Coney Island? The papers showing I passed the exam is signed by reps of C.I. DMV...

Hello, and thanks to those who replied.

I visited the DMV on Monday afternoon and took care of everything -- and have the temporary CDL Class B A3 restriction paper now; should expect the actual permit by mail within a week or two.

There was a bit of confusion at the ticket counter when I ran into the same rep as last month, but this time there was a bit more experience rep standing by - perhaps the supervisor - who waived everything in favor of the A3 restriction and gave me my waiting ticket.

Viola.

Again, thanks everyone.

Archived