Subway Doors Open Before Car Reaches Elevated Platform @ Marcy Av

w8Hou

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is not much more to say about this incident, both the T/O and the C/R are at fault here and there is no way to deney that. I personaly think the worst thing they did was to close down and continue as though nothing happened. If they do get terminated, I think the main reason will be that they tried to cover this up. There is no way that either crew member can say that they had no idea this happened.

There is not much more to say about this incident, both the T/O and the C/R are at fault here and there is no way to deney that. I personaly think the worst thing they did was to close down and continue as though nothing happened. If they do get terminated, I think the main reason will be that they tried to cover this up. There is no way that either crew member can say that they had no idea this happened.

Why you say "There is no way that either crew member can say that they had no idea this happened."? From my perspective that sounds like they knew they undershot the station and intentionally didn't correct it and put lives in danger, which is a bigger infraction than a honest mistake.

I wonder how that T/O and C/O made epic FAIL?

When I took Rush Hour (Mx) before June 27th cut, T/O never shot.

I have been on uptown (6) that overshoot 96th St and downtown (5)'s first car overshoot 59th St, and they made announcement.

Even T/O on first car told them to use last door on first car, passenger didn't listen.

Why you say "There is no way that either crew member can say that they had no idea this happened."? From my perspective that sounds like they knew they undershot the station and intentionally didn't correct it and put lives in danger, which is a bigger infraction than a honest mistake.

There is no way they could have thought the train was in the proper position. Either the train was in the correct spot of it wasn't and clearly it wasn't. The T/O stopped the train and enabled the doors, he/she must have known the train was not int he right spot. The C/R then opened the doors, he/she could not have pointed at the C/R board with part of the train out of the station. Either way, they had to know something was wrong. That's what I'm saying.

There is no way they could have thought the train was in the proper position. Either the train was in the correct spot of it wasn't and clearly it wasn't. The T/O stopped the train and enabled the doors, he/she must have known the train was not int he right spot. The C/R then opened the doors, he/she could not have pointed at the C/R board with part of the train out of the station. Either way, they had to know something was wrong. That's what I'm saying.

Both crew members made serious errors. The C/R just compounded the T/Os error by opening the doors. Knowing how the TA thinks the C/R made the most serious error by opening the doors and subjecting the riders to potential serious injury. That's where the legal department will have a problem if lawsuits arise from this fiasco. That incident, and what looks like an attempted cover-up by the crew, are grounds for dismissal in my book.

I wonder how that T/O and C/O made epic FAIL?

When I took Rush Hour (Mx) before June 27th cut, T/O never shot.

I have been on uptown (6) that overshoot 96th St and downtown (5)'s first car overshoot 59th St, and they made announcement.

Even T/O on first car told them to use last door on first car, passenger didn't listen.

If you're trying to imply that this had something to do with the new service pattern then you are extremely mistaken and woefully misinformed (and this is me being very nice).

And it's a lot easier to correct an undershoot than an overshoot.

I want to lean towards the C/R being more at fault since all he/she had to do was give the triple buzz and the T/O could have moved further down, but I'm wondering how far out the last car was. More than one door is a problem.

I want to lean towards the C/R being more at fault since all he/she had to do was give the triple buzz and the T/O could have moved further down, but I'm wondering how far out the last car was. More than one door is a problem.

On the el or in the tunnel with no bench wall, any door out of the station is a problem.

this was just gross negligence on the crew's part, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. they are damn lucky that no one got hurt or worse... killed, then losing their job would be the least of their problems. to say this situation causes no danger because passengers should be watching where they are going is just ridiculous. and this is coming from a transit worker. some of you really need to get your head out of the MTA's ass.

That maybe true, but the T/O and C/R was at fault whether anyone's head is in the MTA's ass or not.

Most trains stop correctly and most people assume the train will stop with a platform on either side. It could be the same when your getting off a airplane at the gate and the plane didn't pull up to the gate all the way but they still let people off anyway. Some stations such as 14th Street (4)(5)(6) must stop correctly.

The T/O and C/R should have known, someone could have had a baby in a stroller ready to push out and didnt realize it until it was too late.

There was a big danger here, whether you want to say it or not.

Oh come on! I know it's a bit OT, but over here in Stockholm we once hade a subway door fall of inside a tunnel! Poof and it was off.

If you mean that the door came off the train, that's totally different from what happened here.

If you mean that the door came off the train, that's totally different from what happened here.

Yep. It just fell of the train. While a guy was leaning on it. He stayed onboard though.

And i know it's different, thats why i wrote OT=Off Topic.

But it's still similar: the door "opened" before the platform, on the wrong side(i think) but the train was still running and it was in a tunnel.

I was once on an R44 (C) train, the train was having door problems. They kept opening and closing at Utica Avenue. At one point, the doors opened on the wrong side facing the wall.

Im still mad at myself for not getting the camera out in time. The lady that was with me in that car looked over for a second and was very shocked :eek:.

That maybe true, but the T/O and C/R was at fault whether anyone's head is in the MTA's ass or not.

Most trains stop correctly and most people assume the train will stop with a platform on either side. It could be the same when your getting off a airplane at the gate and the plane didn't pull up to the gate all the way but they still let people off anyway. Some stations such as 14th Street (4)(5)(6) must stop correctly.

The T/O and C/R should have known, someone could have had a baby in a stroller ready to push out and didnt realize it until it was too late.

There was a big danger here, whether you want to say it or not.

either you didn't read my post, or you're quoting the wrong one....

Yep. It just fell of the train. While a guy was leaning on it. He stayed onboard though.

But it's still similar: the door "opened" before the platform, on the wrong side(i think) but the train was still running and it was in a tunnel.

That's mechanical fault, not human error...

Now if the door was installed or secured incorrectly then you got a problem.

This NYCT case was a case of human error, and willfull human error at that. Which is why those in the know here are saying it's as serious as we are saying it is.

Huge difference between stopping short and opening the doors on purpose, and a door malfunction/mechanical error.

the redundancy of the job makes people complacent. if a passenger didn't alert the crew about the incident, i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even realize it happened and thought nothing unusual of it - especially the C/R. just another reminder to stay alert, be careful, and communicate with your partner... passengers' safety is our #1 priority. i don't think anyone would want to live with the fact that a momentary lapse of judgment and negligence cost someone else their life, and could be contemplating that very fact in prison!

Archived