Subway Doors Open Before Car Reaches Elevated Platform @ Marcy Av

w8Hou

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same thing happened to me at 74 St on the 7. The first car shot past the platform. The conductor was like WTF? (I'm paraphrasing I don't remember his exact expression). The doors in the first car didn't open and everyone who had to get off had to walk to the second car to get out. I was one of those people. I was by the first door too. ;)

At the time I had no idea the doors in a single car couldn't open but the doors for the rest of the train could. Things you learn on a random morning.

This isn't surprising... happened to my train once, but luckily the crew realized it before they opened the doors. Last year, I was on a Q train in the first car and we stopped past the platform at Sheepshead Bay.

Brighton Line is known for overshooting. There are signs all over the Brighton Line about Train Control, Think, ect. I dont think I ever been in a (Q) or (:) train that flew into a station along the Brighton Line, especially on the (B) Express.

So the "pop and stop" is essentially putting the train into emergency?

"Pop and Stop" refers to putting the train into full service and letting go of the master controller before the train actually comes to a complete stop. The train will only go into emergency when the master controller is let go with less then ~72 lbs of brake on SMEE/46s, or when it is out of the "full service" position on NTT. This makes the train actually do its final break at full service and make a rather severe jerk at the end, especially as you work your way towards the rear of the train. School car instructs train operators to actually stop the train (not to be confused with slowing the train) with as little break as possible... i.e. less than 20 lbs on SMEE, or minimum brake position on NTT/46s (then put it into full service if you wish after the train has come to a stop). That takes a bit more work to do then just "popping and stopping" near the 10.

A T/O can get the doors on the first car not to open while the rest of the train opens up by dropping the DC1/DC2 circuit breakers in his operating cab above his head on SMEE trains (very easy and quick to do, and generally maintain regular station stop dwell time). That kills the power to the door motors which open/close the doors in that car, obviously the doors will remain closed. Obviously on NTT it takes longer since we would have to go into the circuit breaker panel and drop the breaker there, and its recorded as well on the black box. For something like a single door panel out (more common), the T/O can just come out the cab and cut out the door panel, and cut it back in at the next station.

"Pop and Stop" refers to putting the train into full service and letting go of the master controller before the train actually comes to a complete stop. The train will only go into emergency when the master controller is let go with less then ~72 lbs of brake on SMEE/46s, or when it is out of the "full service" position on NTT. This makes the train actually do its final break at full service and make a rather severe jerk at the end, especially as you work your way towards the rear of the train. School car instructs train operators to actually stop the train (not to be confused with slowing the train) with as little break as possible... i.e. less than 20 lbs on SMEE, or minimum brake position on NTT/46s (then put it into full service if you wish after the train has come to a stop). That takes a bit more work to do then just "popping and stopping" near the 10.

A T/O can get the doors on the first car not to open while the rest of the train opens up by dropping the DC1/DC2 circuit breakers in his operating cab above his head on SMEE trains (very easy and quick to do, and generally maintain regular station stop dwell time). That kills the power to the door motors which open/close the doors in that car, obviously the doors will remain closed. Obviously on NTT it takes longer since we would have to go into the circuit breaker panel and drop the breaker there, and its recorded as well on the black box. For something like a single door panel out (more common), the T/O can just come out the cab and cut out the door panel, and cut it back in at the next station.

You forgot to mention that pop and stops are against regulations. If you EVER have to full service a train to make a normal station stop you don't know how to operate. I've seen some T/Os pop and stop and walk over to the window while the train is coming to the 8 or 10. Again, highly against the rules. Your hand is never suppose to come off the controller until the train has made a complete stop.

Archived