Reliable Everyday Laptops

Trainmaster5

I have a Sony Vaio that's been pretty good. Stay away from Dell and Compaq/HP models.

Unfortunately with "planned obsolescence" it's unlikely you'll find a laptop that lasts more than 4 years. After that parts will slowly start to go one by one, likely beginning with the main hard drive. Back up your data frequently somewhere else (external hard drive, etc.) and value price accordingly knowing you're probably only going to get 3-5 years out of any laptop.

Hey Subway Guy you stole my Sony Vaio LOL (Joking!)

Seriously my Brother in Law & sister gave me their year old Vaio this past Christmas as they got another Vaio for themselves. It Works Great. Also not to mention, I got my 1st ever blu ray player in that 'puter' as well so I can play occasional movies on Blu Ray with it.

Back top topic, I agree w/ Subway Guy that Vaio is worth it to buying one but they are still not cheap.

Also trainmaster my previous laptop a HP that did last about 4 years until last fall. And I am surprised how Acer has really improved in last few years. When my sister helped me to get my last laptop the HP the salesguy at Best Buy about 5 years ago called Acer, 'crap' and not worth the time of day.

Excellent topic Trainmaster you created.:tup:

the salesguy at Best Buy about 5 years called Acer 'crap' and not worth the time of day

Don't. EVER. Listen to those salespeople. I went in one undercover (making it seem as if I don't know what I was doing. I had heard stories of Best Buy. They're true) and they told me that a notebook with Intel integrated graphics could play games :eek:

Don't. EVER. Listen to those salespeople. I went in one undercover (making it seem as if I don't know what I was doing. I had heard stories of Best Buy. They're true) and they told me that a notebook with Intel integrated graphics could play games :eek:

Solitaire and Freecell. They didn't lie, LOL.

Ha!! They are a bunch of liars! The one game I've been able to play on my toshiba with its shitty intel graphics card was Ragnarok Online in Full settings, everything else had to be in low settings or couldnt even render the graphics properly. What a complete load of crap.

In my experience Toshiba is the way to go. Acer used to be good but now they kinda suck. Toshibas tend to last longer than HPs but they will go out after a few years. If you're tech-savy then you may be able to rebuild the laptop yourself as parts begin to die. Remember that the processors can last upwards of 10 years while the motherboards won't last beyond five, usually. My motherboard kicked out at three years because I move around with it a lot and it tended to get a lot of physical, not just normal, use. Lol.

As for Sony: the Vaios are hit and miss. Some models are good (esp the more expensive ones), and some are plain awful. Don't fall for gimmicks such as a colored casing (which you could easily do yourself. Spray paint!) or extra software such as "Media" packages that just clog up your OS.

Also, invest in Windows 7 if you haven't already. It may be cheaper to buy an older laptop and put it on yourself. Keep in mind those older laptops are usually perfectly up to the task of running more advanced Operating Systems, especially if you can get a RAM and/or HDD upgrade. I'm firmly of the school that PC's should be customizable, including Laptops, and one should have the freedom to mix and match. Obviously this is way easier in the Desktop world, but with a little know-how and patience, it is possible in the Laptop world too. The only problem with Toshiba is they're the most restrictive when it comes to software installation pre-consumer, so you might have to get your hands dirty in there.

A final thought: Don't believe ANYTHING the salespeople will tell you as they're commission is reliant on you buying stuff. Do your research carefully and shop around for the cheapest price. Nowadays the cheapest stuff is on Ebay or Newegg simply because the big box outlets add markup to the prices. For example: I got a 23" monitor from Acer at $130 online (full HD). At Best Buy, it was over $250. Clever internet shopping can save you big dollars. Avoid stuff coming directly from China (except for Hong Kong, sometimes). More often than not its crap. Their prices will always be cheaper but so will their quality be that much lower.

Oh, and for the love of all that is holy, do NOT buy into Apple's scam of being "cool" to own their stuff. Its highway robbery for what you get.

Solitaire and Freecell. They didn't lie, LOL.

HA ;)

Ha!! They are a bunch of liars! The one game I've been able to play on my toshiba with its shitty intel graphics card was Ragnarok Online in Full settings, everything else had to be in low settings or couldnt even render the graphics properly. What a complete load of crap.

I know. It's friggin' ridiculous what they'll do to get a sale. That's why I've always hated Best Buy, and that's why when I'm in the computer section at Best Buy, I always deny their so-called "help". (Even though I know what I'm looking for anyway)

In my experience Toshiba is the way to go. Acer used to be good but now they kinda suck. Toshibas tend to last longer than HPs but they will go out after a few years. If you're tech-savy then you may be able to rebuild the laptop yourself as parts begin to die. Remember that the processors can last upwards of 10 years while the motherboards won't last beyond five, usually. My motherboard kicked out at three years because I move around with it a lot and it tended to get a lot of physical, not just normal, use. Lol.

As for Sony: the Vaios are hit and miss. Some models are good (esp the more expensive ones), and some are plain awful. Don't fall for gimmicks such as a colored casing (which you could easily do yourself. Spray paint!) or extra software such as "Media" packages that just clog up your OS.

Also, invest in Windows 7 if you haven't already. It may be cheaper to buy an older laptop and put it on yourself. Keep in mind those older laptops are usually perfectly up to the task of running more advanced Operating Systems, especially if you can get a RAM and/or HDD upgrade. I'm firmly of the school that PC's should be customizable, including Laptops, and one should have the freedom to mix and match. Obviously this is way easier in the Desktop world, but with a little know-how and patience, it is possible in the Laptop world too. The only problem with Toshiba is they're the most restrictive when it comes to software installation pre-consumer, so you might have to get your hands dirty in there.

A final thought: Don't believe ANYTHING the salespeople will tell you as they're commission is reliant on you buying stuff. Do your research carefully and shop around for the cheapest price. Nowadays the cheapest stuff is on Ebay or Newegg simply because the big box outlets add markup to the prices. For example: I got a 23" monitor from Acer at $130 online (full HD). At Best Buy, it was over $250. Clever internet shopping can save you big dollars. Avoid stuff coming directly from China (except for Hong Kong, sometimes). More often than not its crap. Their prices will always be cheaper but so will their quality be that much lower.

Oh, and for the love of all that is holy, do NOT buy into Apple's scam of being "cool" to own their stuff. Its highway robbery for what you get.

1) I hate Crapple. Them and those frickin price premiums. Ridiculous.

2) I never buy parts from China. The parts are 99% of the time a knockoff.

I will respond to these posts simply by saying that my last HP/Compaq was terrible. Basically, cold solder joints were used to make key connections in the motherboard. Over time these improperly prepared joints failed and the laptop would not recharge the battery despite being plugged in. It needed an expensive spot motherboard repair after only 2.5 years.

After another six months, the hard drive failed, that needed to be replaced.

One year later a different component of the motherboard failed and it was off to get a new computer.

Okay, for all the Made in America business I keep hearing, HP/Compaq is ONE company you should stay away from. My HP laptop only lasted 9 months because some aspect of the display fried itself and I couldn't see anything. **** got extremely hot even with yards of empty space underneath the vents and cold air blowing into it. It overheated three times....

I don't know about Dell, though, my sister got a Dell laptop Christmas of 2008 and hers is still running fine, though I'm not a big fan of the annoying Korean shows she keeps pumping through those tinny ass speakers.

I'm on a Dell now and for $430 (not counting all the software I bought for it) it's not that bad. Other than the BSoD by clicking on a YouTube link and restarting itself while I sleep because of updates I never wanted to have installed automatically, it's pretty solid.

HA :P

I know. It's friggin' ridiculous what they'll do to get a sale. That's why I've always hated Best Buy, and that's why when I'm in the computer section at Best Buy, I always deny their so-called "help". (Even though I know what I'm looking for anyway)

That is true and a negative aspect of these boxstores. However '1' thing I do reccomend for someone like Trainmaster who not a computer expert is the warranties. I think paying $99 for a 1-year warrant from say Best Buy or Wal-Mart in which they fix any hardware problems 'free' no questions is a great deal.

Right now I use: Dell Latitude, Fujitsu LifeBook and Lenovo ThinkPad. All are quite nice and built right. The Fujitsu has bounced around the LIRR and bus a lot and hasn't had any damage. The Dell and Lenovo have been used and abused here at home and mobile as well, both have lived up to my expectations for a laptop.

Only thing I don't like about the Fujitsu is the mushy keyboard. The Dells and Lenovos have very good keyboards (for a laptop.)

I have a Toshiba L655. It has a Intel HD Graphics Core i3 with 2gb of memory(idk if that is intergrated or not, I dont really game but I can run the most high res Open Bve routes smoothly and 1080p movies with about 25fps)

About overheating, I never had that problem even when downloading 2gbs of files with it sitting on my bed. it barely got warm!

Gotta love Windows 7! :drool: windows 7 foamer here... :P

anyways It depends on your need. If you like to travel, go around alot of places and just mainly use the computer for work/surfing the internet, then I'd consider getting a little netbook for $325.

If you like to only work on the computer at home, or in one place, and like to type alot of papers up and work alot on the computer, then consider getting a Macintosh. They're good for that ;).

Then again... If you travel alot and like to work alot, then you could get a macbook. All Macintosh computers are expensive, but they work really well (even though I really don't like them).

Also, buy an iMac, not an eMac (or whatever those huge mac computers are). The last time I used an eMac, it was in school and it corrupted my $16 Flash Drive :mad:. There goes my money down the drain B).

Maybe you just got a lemon laptop. They're out there.

After several searches and conversations with people more knowledgeable than I about computers, I was informed that the situation I described was a KNOWN DEFECT in the computing community with SEVERAL types of Compaq/HP laptops, however the company refused to acknowledge such because then they would have to make good on the defective machines...including mine. Which is why I ended up spending hundreds to get it to limp to the 4 year mark rather than the company making good on a recognized issue.

I actually forgot that the machine constantly ran hot...but other posts in this thread reminded me of it. Another issue. Even with two cooling fans the machine ran extremely hot.

I will never buy another computer from them again.

As for "performance computing" if you're going to play games you'll need to check the specifics of the RAM as well as the graphics card. Recommending a brand to manufacture the COMPUTER is not going to answer how well it will perform, as the configuration of the machine is not only determined by the manufacturer.

Electronics are very hard to find "made American" (especially computers) because even if the computer is assembled in the US, a lot of times the parts come from overseas.

I don't know anything about Acer computers, but I have never heard good things about their customer service after the sale.

HP and Dell laptops have bad quality control on batteries and chargers that you need to invest on replacing it, they dont last longer then 2 to 3 years at tops.

Acer / Gateway / E-machines, ASUS is awful as well.

I recommend Panasonic Toughbook, a great investment. Otherwise, Lenovo ThinkPad are great as well.

Right now, the current state of [WINDOWS] laptops is still not improving by far from Apple's laptops.

After several searches and conversations with people more knowledgeable than I about computers, I was informed that the situation I described was a KNOWN DEFECT in the computing community with SEVERAL types of Compaq/HP laptops, however the company refused to acknowledge such because then they would have to make good on the defective machines...including mine. Which is why I ended up spending hundreds to get it to limp to the 4 year mark rather than the company making good on a recognized issue.

Are you talking about the whole nVidia thing? Because if so, I had a laptop with the same problem. Did the screen look something like this after a while?

DSCF0008.jpg

I've been warned about HP/Compaq and Dell desktops before so I'm trying to avoid their notebooks.

Well, that's probably good advice. When I got my HP laptop a couple of years ago there was a power issue where the laptop would randomly shut down for no reason [cord and/or battery]. I had to send it out for repairs and thankfully since sending it out I have had no such issues ever since. But this fiasco has my :tdown: on getting another HP laptop.

As for the Dell, it was a 2004-5 Inspiron 8600, it still works fine, but is very slow in all aspects. However, for a now 6~ yr old laptop, I think it's done pretty well.

A site recommendation if you are looking for parts or anything else

http://www.newegg.com/

I've been a regular custumer of the "egg" for years. I've built my own desktops since Windows 3.1 and started using NewEgg when I got tired of Tiger Direct back in the Win '95 days. The problem with sites like those is that sometimes the customer ratings reflect overly toward the dissatisfied people because "most" satisfied buyers don't post their ratings, myself included. That's why I took the time to ask forum members their thoughts. I have to be honest here. I'm not a high school teacher but I do grade these responses. I look at other posts the responders have made on various threads throughout the forums, subway,bus, career, off topic, etc. to try to gauge the maturity and intelligence of the posters and I work from there. Let's put it this way, I do have some people out here with opinions I respect and trust more than others. I don't always agree with said posters but I do know that I'd like to buy American, if possible, or if I'm lost in S.I. and need an express bus or in Italy and need a good vino I'd trust their opinions more than some fantasy map types. Everyones opinion does count, however, although it appears that some didn't really read ALL of my original post after reading a few replies. That being said, I know subways, desktops, and Brooklyn more than most but ,my laptop people, the thread is yours. I await your opinions.

Are you talking about the whole nVidia thing? Because if so, I had a laptop with the same problem. Did the screen look something like this after a while?

No, the issue was not with the graphics card. The issue was with the motherboard connections to the AC adapter jack. The computer would intermittently fail to receive a charge when plugged in, and the battery would die (it got worse over time).

Then the HD failed.

Then the motherboard failed.

The first issue with the cold solder joints is probably what GC is describing below. It was an issue among SEVERAL Compaq/HP laptops:

Well, that's probably good advice. When I got my HP laptop a couple of years ago there was a power issue where the laptop would randomly shut down for no reason [cord and/or battery]. I had to send it out for repairs and thankfully since sending it out I have had no such issues ever since. But this fiasco has my :tdown: on getting another HP laptop.

The one group of laptops I've learned to steer away from was Toshiba, bad ventilation/overheating issues. 6 months into that laptop after I got it(My mom got it for me for my birthday for the price), encountered the SMART HDD failure. The one I currently have that is picking up dust is the T305-S5885 and this thing is prone to overheating issues. I gotta get some of the parts changed...

Been using my Toshiba L355D-S7815 laptop for more than 2 years. Been working fine without any issues. Runs HL2 fine with the integrated graphics card.

Been using my Toshiba L355D-S7815 laptop for more than 2 years. Been working fine without any issues. Runs HL2 fine with the integrated graphics card.

Your computer's graphics card is the better type of integrated (ATI). It's not like Intel's pathetic excuses for graphics cards.

I've been traveling since my retirement and I'm thinking of getting a notebook to help me pass the time. I've noticed everything from 17"ers to netbooks in my travels but I've decided that a 15.6" one would serve my purpose. I keep getting emails from Dell and Apple touting their latest and greatest but I'd rather hear your thoughts. I'm not into Crysis or video editing on the go but I'd like to watch the occasional movie, check mail and weather, listen to music, etc. I build my own desktops but I'm not ready to try to build a notebook any time soon. I'd rather order factory direct if possible, rather than the generic stuff they have at Best Buy, Staples... unless you know of an extremely good model off the shelf. Dell, HP, Apple, Lenovo, ASUS, Gateway, Acer, whatever it's all good. Just leave out the Celerons, Atoms, AMD-Vs 'cause if I find something I like I might need a little more power than these provide. Thanks in advance, folks.

I use a Dell Studio 15.4 inch laptop (1558) and have for the past 11 months as my only computer, but aside from ASUS, Samsung, Toshiba, and Lenovo, be advised that the company whose name is on the computer probably did not make it. Just look at the features you want and order appropriately; almost all laptops aside from those companies are made by 4 or 5 Taiwanese companies.

As for accessories, I highly suggest that you get a laptop cooling fan; it will greatly extend its lifespan. My computer ran very hot before I got one, and it now runs very cool.

OH! This may be something that people won't be able to check, but if you can, get a computer which has the Power Jack on the laptop NOT attached to the motherboard. Certain motherboards attach it to save money, but if its detached via a cord, the motherboard is much less likely to break due to a fall or the power cord being jiggled too much.

OH! This may be something that people won't be able to check, but if you can, get a computer which has the Power Jack on the laptop NOT attached to the motherboard. Certain motherboards attach it to save money, but if its detached via a cord, the motherboard is much less likely to break due to a fall or the power cord being jiggled too much.

A larger power jack may also help; it's much harder to break than a small one. My computer has a large power jack.

Archived