Bus operator test #8006

xyuk

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Guys... finished day one at Zerega and it was, as many of you have said, all paperwork. There were 52 people in the class. Majority of list #'s were mid to high 200's. Highest one I was able to ascertain was 293. Grand Ave Depot tomorrow for training, Anybody have any information (besides terrible parking) about it?

I will be frank, guys plz get your drivers license ''cdl' before you go for trainning:tup::tup: Its alot easier.:tup:

You don't need your cdl license to pass training because a license doesn't guarantee you will pass. There are a few guys that didn't pass training and they had licenses. To pass training you will need to follow simple directions from your instructor, learn from your mistakes because driving a bus a learning experience everyday and don't argue with the instructor about anything.

Also for anyone on training, don't try to impress the instructor with how well you can accelerate and when being told to do something don't disagree or argue. If you have trouble understanding your instructor, tell him you don't understand and would like it to be explained thoroughly, he is human just like you. Don't wait till Day 5, 6, or 7 because those are test days. Be patient and take your time, you won't fail for that, take your time adjusting the mirrors because they your life, don't run yellow lights and if you run a curb try your best not to run it again.

You don't need your cdl license to pass training because a license doesn't guarantee you will pass. There are a few guys that didn't pass training and they had licenses. To pass training you will need to follow simple directions from your instructor, learn from your mistakes because driving a bus a learning experience everyday and don't argue with the instructor about anything.

That is true, I have been hearing that since I first joined this forum.

But some of us who got our CDL's sometime after taking the 8006

exam 3 years ago don't drive a commercial vehicle. So it's the same thing

as those who just have their CDL permits. We both have no CDL driving

experience.

The 5-10 hrs that we drove on a school bus before our road

tests means nothing. The only thing that I choose to remember are the

air brake tests which is part of the pre trip and very important.

Loco (if you don't mind me addressing you as such) ... I know it's only day 2 for me, but not having a lot of experience wont be too much of a big deal. I almost think they actually prefer it. Instructor tells you exactly how they want it done and they want to see you pass safely and competently rather than trying to fail you. Out of my group, 3 have permit only and 1 has CDL A with some prior RTS experience. He had the hardest time, believe it or not. The instructor even had him stop the bus several times to reorient him and force him to pay attention. You are already way ahead of the game with the inspection and air brakes which will allow you more time to focus on the other stuff. Don't sweat it.. you'll be good. :P

Loco is fine, I have been called worse names before, lol, thanks for the update.

I always wonder how they choose who goes first out of the 4 students on the bus. Is it by list number, or does the instructor ask who wants to go first?

Do they let you put on those round convex mirrors so you can see your

blind spots? I got conflicting answers before on here, maybe it depends

on the instructor. A lot of tractor trailers around there at Grand Ave depot

right?

Loco is fine, I have been called worse names before, lol, thanks for the update.

I always wonder how they choose who goes first out of the 4 students on the bus. Is it by list number, or does the instructor ask who wants to go first?

Do they let you put on those round convex mirrors so you can see your

blind spots? I got conflicting answers before on here, maybe it depends

on the instructor. A lot of tractor trailers around there at Grand Ave depot

right?

you drive whatever bus they have most buses have 2 mirrors you can adjust some dont you drive what ever they have . i did my line training at fresh pond depot they were still building maspeth depot.yes lots of trucks there all over they have mega traffic jams at that depot mta made a giant mistake to build it in that location yes no parking to its the pits from what i was told.

I asked about those mirrors and the instructor said they allow it in certain depots, but not in training. It would certainly help though!!! Right side mirror is real hard to get used to. For now, (on an empty bus) it helps to use the center mirror and check the windows. As far as who goes first... our instructor chose the one who already had his CDL and was totally random after that.

• 4 weeks later...

my freind had a list #in the 400s took the drug test but that was weeks ago he never heard anything back.i just need to find out when the next class will be for 8006.i heard a lot of drivers are retiring so they need to fill these jobs please reply if anybody know something i called livingston and they tell you its active and will resume the hiring process with 8006 question is when ???:confused:

my freind had a list #in the 400s took the drug test but that was weeks ago he never heard anything back.i just need to find out when the next class will be for 8006.i heard a lot of drivers are retiring so they need to fill these jobs please reply if anybody know something i called livingston and they tell you its active and will resume the hiring process with 8006 question is when ???:confused:

The cutoff for now is 461. Mrs. Chestnut at 180 Livingston said they will start calling when they need more and she said hopefully June/July. No choice but hang in there.

The cutoff for now is 461. Mrs. Chestnut at 180 Livingston said they will start calling when they need more and she said hopefully June/July. No choice but hang in there.

If the cutoff # is 461 does this mean that when they start again that,s the number they start with. My list # was in the 420,s and received a letter to be reinstated to the list through DCAS another member( BOXERAF)also received the same letter and his # was in the 340,s.Before I went down to DCAS I called to see if I need to bring any papers and the lady on the phone said to me what,s going on over there, another one, why are they calling you to come in then tell you you have to be reinstated because there are no more vacancies. After I went down I made out the form and put down the reason from the letter and the lady told me I will receive a notice of confirmation to be reinstated. I asked this lady about the notice from the MTA but she said she did not know. To date I have not received a notice from DCAS ,I will wait another week then call them.This is where I am currently waiting.

If the cutoff # is 461 does this mean that when they start again that,s the number they start with. My list # was in the 420,s and received a letter to be reinstated to the list through DCAS another member( BOXERAF)also received the same letter and his # was in the 340,s.Before I went down to DCAS I called to see if I need to bring any papers and the lady on the phone said to me what,s going on over there, another one, why are they calling you to come in then tell you you have to be reinstated because there are no more vacancies. After I went down I made out the form and put down the reason from the letter and the lady told me I will receive a notice of confirmation to be reinstated. I asked this lady about the notice from the MTA but she said she did not know. To date I have not received a notice from DCAS ,I will wait another week then call them.This is where I am currently waiting.
i would think thats the number of people certified but i dont know the list #s in training now for 8006 this is crazy i never heard of transit doing anything like your saying. if i was you get your butt down there and demand whats going on in a nice way with your papers this is very wrong here got to be reinstated last time i got to speak to someone about this they said they never showed up or never picked up the phone thats why you must have your list # reinstated thats what they said to me but there is some madness going on at mta go there see what they say good luck.

The back-story is that my list #119 and I was called to Livingston St back on 3/9. I skipped it and a week later wrote them to get my name back on the list. Waited over 30 days and not a peep. This morning went down to DCAS, filled out the form, supplied my ss# and list#. Clerk later appeared and told me that my name would be added to the next batch the TA requests for processing.

Some posts on here clearly explain the reason they stopped calling people in which is that TA has to wait until there is a large enough number of vacancies before they turn to DCAS for more people. It makes sense to me. Some estimate that in about 3 weeks to a month the line will start moving again.

Thanks to the all the posters, especially NYWBRR and FDBGuy.:P

The back-story is that my list #119 and I was called to Livingston St back on 3/9. I skipped it and a week later wrote them to get my name back on the list. Waited over 30 days and not a peep. This morning went down to DCAS, filled out the form, supplied my ss# and list#. Clerk later appeared and told me that my name would be added to the next batch the TA requests for processing.

Some posts on here clearly explain the reason they stopped calling people in which is that TA has to wait until there is a large enough number of vacancies before they turn to DCAS for more people. It makes sense to me. Some estimate that in about 3 weeks to a month the line will start moving again.

You're welcome Road, hopefully enough decide they've had enough and file those retirement papers. Some previously laid off drivers were hired back as well.

Roadtimes did you receive a notice from DCAS to confirm that you are reinstated to the list. This is what the clerk told me when I went down two weeks ago to get reinstated to the list. I have not received a notice to date and will call them this week, all I got was a receipt from the clerk. The #,s for DCAS certifications again is 212-669-2431, 2439, 2450, 2459. Thanks for your post.

You're welcome Road, hopefully enough decide they've had enough and file those retirement papers. Some previously laid off drivers were hired back as well.

Those who were previously on outstanding certification can call the automated line and see if their status has changed. They may have stopped hiring for now.

ok can someone expalin & clarify this whole certification thing, i was previously on outstanding certification but now it says that im not, & also what confuses is that it said there been 1,500 certified, my list number is in the 900's when i didnt get called yet for processing medical/etc....so how can i be certified , i might be buggin just dnt know thats why im asking ?:tup:

ok can someone expalin & clarify this whole certification thing, i was previously on outstanding certification but now it says that im not, & also what confuses is that it said there been 1,500 certified, my list number is in the 900's when i didnt get called yet for processing medical/etc....so how can i be certified , i might be buggin just dnt know thats why im asking ?:tup:

When they are hiring, the people on outstanding certification are eligible to have their ppwk submitted to MTA for processing. They certify more than what they need until the vacancies are filled which is what it appears at this point.

We have to hang in there.

Yeah I noticed that as well when I called a couple of days ago. What outstanding certification means is that DCAS has sent your list number to the MTA. Sometimes you are on and off outstanding certification.

What really matters is when you receive the pre employment letter in the mail stating when to come in for the drug test which is the 1st step of the process. #461 was the last hired, I believe they got into the mid 500's for the pre employment letters sent out.

i would think thats the number of people certified but i dont know the list #s in training now for 8006 this is crazy i never heard of transit doing anything like your saying. if i was you get your butt down there and demand whats going on in a nice way with your papers this is very wrong here got to be reinstated last time i got to speak to someone about this they said they never showed up or never picked up the phone thats why you must have your list # reinstated thats what they said to me but there is some madness going on at mta go there see what they say good luck.

Thanks for the advice seal believe me I wanted to go down a while ago when I called about not hearing anything after the drug test back in 3-18-11. As I posted earlier I was told to be reinstated to the list and receive a letter from MTA about having to do this because of no more vacancies. I called DCAS before I went down and the person on the phone I spoke to seemed also puzzled about that and said just to come down with the letter. I just received the restoration letter from DCAS and it says I was approved back to the list on 5-16-11 and the reason I was off-sided was failed to report for medical. Now I,m getting a little pissed off because I never receive any call or notice about medical and if that's the case why not tell me when I called in the first place instead of the no vacancies thing.Well I called MTA in Brooklyn to asked about when I was supposed to come in for medical that I missed because this is whats on the DCAS letter, I was told that only a code that's used and means that I did not miss anything because they never call anyway and will receive a letter to come in for drug testing again when hiring starts again??? Sounds like my number either was not reached or my background check took too long and the vacancies were filled. I also called the DCAS automated phone and it now tells me I,m not on outstanding cert. and no longer on the list and need to be reinstated but I believe that's outdated because I have the letter,also the last eligible cert. is 461 so they did update and that # is higher than mine so I will just hang in and wait and if I get passed I should have the right to know why instead of a runaround.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived