Countdown Clocks Go Express... or Local

DSC_0182a.jpg

Countdown Clocks already offer subway customers audio and visual alerts to the arrival of the next train. However, to remove some of the confusion in the busier stations serving multiple train lines we have added express (EXP) and local (LCL) icons to help riders identify arriving trains.

The Public Address Customer Information Screen (PA/CIS) system, commonly referred to as Countdown Clocks, is a major component of the MTA’s effort to substantially upgrade customer communications across the entire network and the signs are already up and operating in nearly 110 stations along the numbered lines.

Read more here.

Millions spent don't mean squat if John and Jane can't read or hear it. But, hey, they look nice. I think the money would have been better spent if Transit did something like overhauling the public restrooms or lighting up some of the dark corridors in the system for better security.

Totally agreed. The system is what it is - 100 yrs old in some places. The system will never be modern like Europe or Asia. Plus with some of the riders we have, this fancy tech will be lost on them as they'll still look into the tunnels to see when the next train is coming into the station.

It's nice to have, but a total waste of money when stations along the Sea Beach line are overdue for overhauls.

Totally agreed. The system is what it is - 100 yrs old in some places. The system will never be modern like Europe or Asia. Plus with some of the riders we have, this fancy tech will be lost on them as they'll still look into the tunnels to see when the next train is coming into the station.

It's nice to have, but a total waste of money when stations along the Sea Beach line are overdue for overhauls.

Sea Beach will go into rehab as soon as the west end is done. Check the Capital Program.

Sea Beach will go into rehab as soon as the west end is done. Check the Capital Program.

I did a double take at that one... I though you were referring to (V)...

Anyways When will QBL get the clocks?

as of now the mta does not have any plans too add countdown clocks or the PA CIS to the BMT lines sorry but you will have new platforms soon

Uh, yes they do...

W32697*

PUBLIC ADDRESS/ CUSTOMER INFORMATION SCREENS (PA/CIS) - 87 STATIONS (NYCT-)

OVER $50M

This project will install Public Address and Customer Information Screens (PA/CIS) at 87 stations systemwide. The systems to be installed under this project will feature digital audio and digital text-messaging capabilities, and will be connected to the NYCT communications network. The project will furnish and install cabinets, signs and other equipment at all 87 stations, and will also install associated cable at 43 stations. (Cable at the remaining 44 stations is being installed separately by in-house forces). The locations are:

* Sea Beach Line: 8th Avenue, Fort Hamilton Parkway, 20th Avenue, 22nd Avenue

* Jamaica Line: 121st Street, 104-102 Street, Woodhaven Blvd, 85th Street-Forest Parkway, Cypress Hills

* Liberty Avenue Line: Grant Avenue, 80th Street-Hudson Street, 88th Street-Boyd Avenue, Rockaway Blvd, 104th Street-Oxford Avenue, 111th Street-Greenwood

* Rockaway Line: Race Track, Aqueduct, Holland-Beach 90th Street, Playland-Beach 98th Street, Seaside-Beach 105th Street, Gaston-Beach 67th Street, Straiton Avenue-Beach 60th Street, Frank Avenue-Beach 44th Street, Edgemere-Beach 36th Street, Wavecrest-Beach 25th Street

* Culver Line: Ditmas Avenue, 18th Avenue, Avenue I, Bay Parkway, Avenue N, Avenue P, Avenue U, Kings Highway

* Brooklyn-Queens Crosstown Line: 21st Street, Greenpoint Avenue, Nassau Avenue, Broadway, Flushing Avenue, Myrtle-Willoughby Avenue, Bedford-Nostrand Avenues, Classon Avenue, Clinton-Washington Avenues, Fulton Street

* Astoria Line: Astoria Blvd-Hoyt Avenue, 30th Avenue-Grand Avenue, Broadway, 36th Avenue-Washington Avenue, 39th Avenue-Beebe Avenue

* 4th Avenue Line: Prospect Avenue, 25th Street, 45th Street, 53rd Street, Bay Ridge Avenue, 77th Street, 95th Street

* West End Line: Fort-Hamilton Parkway, 50th Street, 55th Street, 71st Street, 79th Street, 18th Avenue, 20th Avenue, 25th Avenue

* Nassau Line: Bowery

* 8th Avenue Line: 190th Street, 116th Street, 110th Avenue, 103rd Avenue, Spring Street, High Street-Brooklyn Bridge

* Fulton Line: Lafayette Avenue, Clinton-Washington Avenues, Kingston-Throop Avenue, Ralph Avenue, Rockaway Avenue, Liberty Avenue, Van Siclen Avenue, Shepherd Avenue

* Bronx-Concourse Line: 182-183 Streets, 174-175 Streets, 170th Street, 167th Street, 155th Street

* - - 6th Avenue Line: Grand Street, York Street, Carroll Street, Fort Hamilton Parkway

Duration of Contract 10 Months

Uh, yes they do...
thats not a countdown clock system i heard of this and its just like the one used at the A C level 145th st station but with out any countdown they may try but like the one at 145th it isnt as good as the one using the ATS system on the IRT lines. that can show you what train is coming and where its going more less just a PA system

thats not a countdown clock system i heard of this and its just like the one used at the A C level 145th st station but with out any countdown they may try but like the one at 145th it isnt as good as the one using the ATS system on the IRT lines. that can show you what train is coming and where its going more less just a PA system

I just prove to you, that you are wrong when you wrote: "as of now the mta does not have any plans too add countdown clocks or the PA CIS to the BMT lines sorry but you will have new platforms soon".

They are indeed expanding PA/CIS to the B-division, regardless of the ATS system that is in the A -division.

I just prove to you, that you are wrong when you wrote: "as of now the mta does not have any plans too add countdown clocks or the PA CIS to the BMT lines sorry but you will have new platforms soon".

They are indeed expanding PA/CIS to the B-division, regardless of the ATS system that is in the A -division.

that maybe so but i l know they arent going too be at all stations just some and that may take a long time too do at some stations, but yea some stations will have the message boards just not as good as the A division. i that system i wouldnt be too happy too have. it is a very old system that doesnt work all the time and people will get lost because they cant tell what the train is and where its going. the best part is the messages it can show you but thats all

Uh, yes they do...

This is great news. I hope that they are like the ones on the A Division and not like the ones at 125th, 145th and 59th St along the (A)(B)(C)(D). I want to know what specifically is coming and how long my wait is not that "an express train is 3 min away" crap, but that's just me.

This is great news. I hope that they are like the ones on the A Division and not like the ones at 125th, 145th and 59th St along the (A) (;)(C)(D). I want to know what specifically is coming and how long my wait is not that "an express train is 3 min away" crap, but that's just me.

they wont. they don't have ATS like the A Div does. So B Div trains can't be ID'd in that way, only by what track they're on.

Archived