School bus driver fired for flying Confederate flag from truck; 'I'm a redneck. It's a way of life.'

Harry

An Oregon bus driver fired for flying a Confederate flag off his truck is calling in the conservative cavalry to get his job back.

Ken Webber was canned Tuesday from his job driving kindergartners to school after he refused an order from school officials to remove the giant flag, which is emblazoned with the word "Redneck."

The Rutherford Institute of Charlottesville, a conservative civil rights organization in Virginia, backed Webber up, sending a letter Wednesday to the bus company demanding he be reinstated on First Amendment grounds.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/03/10/2011-03-10_school_bus_driver_fired_for_flying_confederate_flag_from_truck_im_a_redneck_its_.html#ixzz1GDxpmasE

post-1-133288582575_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288582575_thumb.jpg

He's parked on school grounds so that's the problem. It's their property and they can dictate what they want and don't want on it. Seems like he could've avoided all of this and just parked his truck elsewhere no?

As far as the flag goes, I don't see the problem with it. He has a right to have it on his truck if he so pleases, as he's free to freedom of speech, even if some minorities consider the flag to be racist.

This case could go either way---the question is: Did he enter his employer's property with the flag? They set the rules.

As his employer was private (it's First Student), the case should be dismissed for lack of merit, as his First Amendment rights end at the entrance to the First Student yard.

He looks like a member of the Tea Party. It seems like race relations have actually gotten worse since Obama became president.

FG making way off the mark comments again IMO. I saw a CNN documentary in either November or Dec. and although very few there are a handful Afro-Americans in the Tea Party. Those members who are Tea Party are almost all very consertative i.e the Alan Keyes, Micheal Steele types.

This story has little or nothing to do with the Tea Party.

This topic is whether this self proclaimed 'red neck' has a right to his 1st amendment rights to wear confedrate flags at work that is considered a form of racism by many people? It's a similar argument to say if a kid is allowed to wear a Hitler/Nazi T-shirt or even a Osama Cap at public schools?

FG making way off the mark comments again IMO. I saw a CNN documentary in either November or Dec. and although very few there are a handful Afro-Americans in the Tea Party. Those members who are very consertative i.e Alan Keyes type.

This story has little or nothing to do with the Tea Party.

This topic is whether this self proclaimed 'red neck' has a right to his 1st amendment rights to wear confedrate flags at work that is considered a form of racism by many people? It's a similar argument to say if a kid is allowed to wear a Hitler/Nazi T-shirt or even a Osama Cap at public schools?

That's definitely political hyperbole on FG's part.

It probably will come down to what First Student's policy on work attire is (they do not have a uniform from what I have seen).

Free speech is free speech. You are allowed to express yourself when you are representing yourself, but not NECESSARILY when acting as an employee, representing another person or organization, or placing your vehicle on another's property.

The question becomes what were the terms of his employment (ie were "obscene, vulgar, discriminatory, and inflammatory" clothing and accessories banned), and where did he park the truck.

then scratch his butt, dig the remote out of the sofa, grab a beer and sit back down again...

Forgot the shotgun part, but otherwise, heh, sounds like a vacation.

He looks like a member of the Tea Party. It seems like race relations have actually gotten worse since Obama became president.

Buying into the leftist smeer tactics. :tdown:

sorry B) Its sometimes that when I search for something, It gives me something completly random, such as "how a train track switch works" when Im searching for the (B) service timetable in the 1980's :D.

I thought you were going to do this...

No one tells you to post in every thread. Google, wiki the word if you aren't sure.

Forgot the shotgun part, but otherwise, heh, sounds like a vacation.

Buying into the leftist smeer tactics. :tdown:

No one tells you to post in every thread. Google, wiki the word if you aren't sure.

Thank You Concourse on great comments above. What I am about to say is not a 'dis or knock' against 4p3607 and get off topic but this is a sad state for education in America that a 13-year old(unless he of course 'mentally challenged") has no clue until we told him now what 'redeck' means.

I am no Einstein either but when I was 13 years old (grades 7-8)at least by then I heard of and basic concept of the civil war/civil rights movement of the 1950's/60's and issues related to it. Including the basic aspect of what 'red neck' means by high school. Teaching Social Studies/US and World History should be not political correct but the truth of what happened even if involves touchy issues as race IMO.

It also helped me that My late Dad grew up in Texas in the Jim Crow era of the 1940's/50's. So again this is not a great sign that a middle school student does not much about this isssue. So in closing on my comments here is this. Not sure people what 'Jim Crow' is? Please do a google search.:eek:

Smear tactics are the number one policy of the right-wing beloved FOX News. And, contrary to what the media would have you believe, the numbers will show that Teabaggers are generally mildly racist.

But in this case Mr. Redneck is just an idiot. Since when does your geographical location allow you to be a racist? Useless.

Just because there are some racists, doesn't mean the entire group is the same. You don't generalize a group of people because of the actions of a few. The same with Muslims, just because all of the terrorists on 9/11 were muslim, would it be fair to say Muslims as a whole are a threat?

big deal it says red neck on the flag and it`s on his truck all i wanna to this is give him the job back and let him work leave him alone he has 4 kids to support so what what`s the big deal with the flag on his truck i hope he has a union to back him up on this issue

Archived