$1M for straphanger whacked by cop

$1M for straphanger whacked by cop

The city agreed Monday to pay $1 million to a Brooklyn straphanger who was walloped in the face with a cop's nightstick after being ejected from a (2) train, the Daily News has learned.

Mitchi Cunningham, 24, underwent neurosurgery to relieve swelling inside his skull and suffered permanent loss of his sense of smell as a result of the clubbing, according to court documents and his attorney, Fred Lichtmacher.

"He was hit in the face with a baton for asking the officer for his shield number," Lichtmacher said.

Cunningham and two friends, Marcus Copeland and Johnel Jamison, both 20, were heading home after seeing a movie in Times Square on Nov. 5, 2004, when the train's motorman told Copeland to put out his cigarette.

Full story: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - May 7, 2008

I'm sure that this is not even close to the full story. It really takes alot to piss off an officer to the point that they will do something the puts his or her job on the line. Who knows if the person was drunk and dissorderly and maybe he lunged at the officer?

I'm sure that this is not even close to the full story. It really takes alot to piss off an officer to the point that they will do something the puts his or her job on the line. Who knows if the person was drunk and dissorderly and maybe he lunged at the officer?

No because the station agent who witnessed the incident testfied saying the person did not make a threating move towards the officer.Hes was wrong and he was leaving the system but the officer was getting out of hand and the person asked for his badge number thats when the officer hit him.

The Officer was at fault here even though the person should have been a bit more civil while riding public transportation.

Two wrongs dont make a right.

more police brutality, just what we need...

them at the NYPD think were all a bunch of animals that can't control ourselves...

I would second what the NYPD thinks. But then again I deal face to face with the public like they do, so I might be a little bias.......

Archived