[B]Bronx tour bus crash on highway kills at least 14 people after bus smashes into traffic pole

Shortline Bus

Schumer likes to complain about everything. He loves attention.

Exactly one week ago, I took Megabus to Philly. In two months, I'll take it to Boston. Lesser companies envy Megabus since its efficient operation is cutting into their profits.

Again, Megabus and Bolt Bus =/= Chinatown bus

Uhh Bolt bus is owned by Greyhound and Peterpan so I wouldnt compare it to Megabus.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i work for them for only 4 months7 yrs ago ny to dc run and i drove bus 259.that bus was a nice ride.what ever happened i am sorry people lost they lost there life and others injured.but what ever happened it was an accident people a lot of time die in cars over 40,000 a year buses are rare.the news and the public are on a witch hunt after the driver this is bullshit now they sat he has a criminal record who cares he paid his dues then got his life together obtained a bus license.i feel bad for the driver stop the bullshit he should be let go people.this is not a chinatown bus they come from bklyn ny.i to upset how they keep trying to find things to lock him up:mad:

i work for them for only 4 months7 yrs ago ny to dc run and i drove bus 259.that bus was a nice ride.what ever happened i am sorry people lost they lost there life and others injured.but what ever happened it was an accident people a lot of time die in cars over 40,000 a year buses are rare.the news and the public are on a witch hunt after the driver this is bullshit now they sat he has a criminal record who cares he paid his dues then got his life together obtained a bus license.i feel bad for the driver stop the bullshit he should be let go people.this is not a chinatown bus they come from bklyn ny.i to upset how they keep trying to find things to lock him up:mad:

So this is the type of person you want driving you around with your life in their hands?

Williams shouldn't even have been at the wheel - his driving privileges were suspended after he ignored tickets for speeding and driving without a license in 1995, The Associated Press reported.

Lesser company......HAHHAHAHAHA! Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.

Peter Pan is not the lesser company in the game, far from it. We aren't the best but I know we are a step above Megabus. Megabus might be more efficient than Peter Pan because all they focus on is line run work. We do charters, shuttle and all kinda of other work on top of line run.

Riddle me this Batman....How many Million Mile safe drivers does Megabus have? We have OVER 50 drivers that have pulled that off, some with 2 and 3 million miles without an accident. You can't put a price on that kind of experience....oh wait, you did. Enjoy Megabus!

Peter Pan? That's that company that has routinely-late buses with nausea-inducing odors.

Peter Pan? That's that company that has routinely-late buses with nausea-inducing odors.

Are you kidding me....Who ISN'T late running into/out NYC? Take Megabus on a day the Yankees have a homegame and the only way Megabus goes in/out the city is the McCombs Dam Bridge.And the smell coming outta the lav....that happens to every bus company, at least PP puts automatic air fresheners to dilute the problem.

I'm gonna stop now,because I feel like I'm having a circular argument with a mental midget.

This thread isn't supposed to be about Megabus,Peter Pan or any other company.....just World Wide and their accident.

Lesser company......HAHHAHAHAHA! Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.

Peter Pan is not the lesser company in the game, far from it. We aren't the best but I know we are a step above Megabus. Megabus might be more efficient than Peter Pan because all they focus on is line run work. We do charters, shuttle and all kinda of other work on top of line run.

Riddle me this Batman....How many Million Mile safe drivers does Megabus have? We have OVER 50 drivers that have pulled that off, some with 2 and 3 million miles without an accident. You can't put a price on that kind of experience....oh wait, you did. Enjoy Megabus!

I only hope Megabus doesnt bite him in the ass on the long run.

Megabus is a shyt company. And for someone who went for a interview with them when I got my CDL, and I wasnt even a bus driver yet and I said to hell with it. After hearing one driver say "they wont let me get any rest". The second I heard that I told the guy in the middle of the interview im sorry and I bounced. I mean all the little chatter just didnt sound right.

When they had there D4500CTs based on the runs here, it was cool, but since they shifted to those deathtraps, made them even worse. And now they have those deathtraps on the same road as a NJT bus on the AC Expressway.

Seeing and hearing a bunch of drivers bitching and moaning over sleep and double trips and doing a long haul to Canada and hearing they dont even see there families all that often, made me run outta there. Even when I went for Community Coach in Paramus, man I had to run out of there. Just the look of the office had me running for higher ground. The dispatcher was sleeping and I had to knock on the window to get his attention. Phones ringing and no one picking up and not to mention $7.50 training if you walk in with a CDL Permit and $10/hr top pay.......to hell with that.

:mad:

So this is the type of person you want driving you around with your life in their hands?

it was an accident shit happens a witch hunt and convict him of this hell no put yourself in his shoes it could happen to anyone what does his criminal past have to do with what happened comon i would sue the media for this :mad:

Are you kidding me....Who ISN'T late running into/out NYC? Take Megabus on a day the Yankees have a homegame and the only way Megabus goes in/out the city is the McCombs Dam Bridge.And the smell coming outta the lav....that happens to every bus company, at least PP puts automatic air fresheners to dilute the problem.

I'm gonna stop now,because I feel like I'm having a circular argument with a mental midget.

This thread isn't supposed to be about Megabus,Peter Pan or any other company.....just World Wide and their accident.

Don't know why you're wasting your time debating someone who's thickheaded, who's view is the only "right one" regardless if an experienced bus driver is telling him otherwise. The only experience is from the outside as passenger and has no idea of the real world behind operating buses.

I wasn't referring to the smell of sh*t. I was referring to that Cinnamon, air-freshener smell. Whenever I stepped on a Peter Pan bus, I had to endure that overpowering smell.

I only hope Megabus doesnt bite him in the ass on the long run.

Megabus is a shyt company. And for someone who went for a interview with them when I got my CDL, and I wasnt even a bus driver yet and I said to hell with it. After hearing one driver say "they wont let me get any rest". The second I heard that I told the guy in the middle of the interview im sorry and I bounced. I mean all the little chatter just didnt sound right.

When they had there D4500CTs based on the runs here, it was cool, but since they shifted to those deathtraps, made them even worse. And now they have those deathtraps on the same road as a NJT bus on the AC Expressway.

Seeing and hearing a bunch of drivers bitching and moaning over sleep and double trips and doing a long haul to Canada and hearing they dont even see there families all that often, made me run outta there. Even when I went for Community Coach in Paramus, man I had to run out of there. Just the look of the office had me running for higher ground. The dispatcher was sleeping and I had to knock on the window to get his attention. Phones ringing and no one picking up and not to mention $7.50 training if you walk in with a CDL Permit and $10/hr top pay.......to hell with that.

I've heard complaints about Megabus. It's not like I'm oblivious to the gripes. However, I've never actually witnessed it. There was one trip that was overbooked so people heading to NY couldn't get on at White Marsh (Baltimore). Nevertheless, it didn't affect me. Maybe I'm viewing things from rose-colored glasses or maybe I'm extremely lucky.

it was an accident shit happens a witch hunt and convict him of this hell no put yourself in his shoes it could happen to anyone what does his criminal past have to do with what happened comon i would sue the media for this :mad:

Sue the media for what? It's not defamation if they are stating the facts.

Sealtime some questions? Are you related to Mr. Williams realtive or something? When 14 people are killed in an accident on public transit fair or not, questions have to be raised.

Oh yes, Sealteam you probably going to bring the race issue next.

You sound like a puppet for Wide World.

News flash I am person of color too.

If Mr. Williams fell asleep or probably IMO he was speeding he deserves heat and to be indicted.

The only thing I agree with you Seal is how Williams' boses and even Moeghan Sun not getting more blame here for allowing these so called budget companies to operate there. That part of I-95 by COOP City where this tragic accident is well know for accidents.

Sealteam I worked as a news writer for a local Queens paper for a couple of years so I know about slander. If your license has been suspended before it raises a red flag and whether this driver should even been hired by any bus company.

You sound not too bright in your argument here.

The Victims seem forgot by you Seal.

Not meant to be disrespectful but what is lost here is that familiy members of 14 people will never see their relatives again.

Also despite their issues, maybe at most every couple of years if that much do, I hear of fatal accidents from Bolt Bus/Greyhound. For these bootleg companies it becoming a few every year sadly.

his past background and his prior arrests have nothing to do with this accident his lawyer said he will sue good for him people are shitting all over this bus driver its not right im done no more said damm:tup:

His background does have something to do with this. History always repeats itself....how many times has his story changed since the accident. I'm all for redemption, but when you have a motorcoach destroyed,15 dead and more injured, they are gonna go through your life with a fine tooth comb. Which is something World Wide should have done before they hired him. That will bite them in the ass big time.....If they survive this I for one will be shocked.

Sealteam, you said earlier that this accident could have happened to anybody. Maybe...but a true PROFESSIONAL would have pulled over at any of the numerous 24 hour rest areas that dot 95 and stopped for 15-20 minutes. A short break does wonders, believe me I know. There is NO excuse for not stopping that coach when he started feeling tired....if he was fatigued before starting this trip there was NO excuse for booking off. Yeah losing a day pay sucks, but killing people is even worse. This has nothing to do with being white,black,asian...whatever. This has to do with a driver making a bad judgment call. By his rap sheet he's made plenty and THAT'S why he should not have been in the seat.

Bringing up Mr Williams criminal record highlights two things wrong with these small companies

1) They hire Felons

2)Their background checks are too laxed

Which is why I mentioned earlier in the thread about the NTSB and FTA need to mandate more stringent background checks from these companies.

Bringing up Mr Williams criminal record highlights two things wrong with these small companies

1) They hire Felons

Which is why I mentioned earlier in the thread about the NTSB and FTA need to mandate more stringent background checks from these companies.

There is a thing as a second chance in life. People make stupid decisions in life and they pay their debt to society. Given time people can forgive and even forget the decision in their mind (Yet it'll always be in paper), and give a person a chance to better his/her life. Now, I don't know if that what made WWT decide on giving this operator a chance to drive, yet, I'm not 100% ready to hang the driver and to bash WWT on hiring this driver because of incidents that he did time for. The only thing that can get this guy into major trouble is: Did he get enough rest before working that day? They're checking the hotel tapes and other evidence to do so. Was he speeding? From the way that bus was cut in half, most people say yes but we can't assume anything until the black box and video tape was looked at and scrutinized by NYPD, NYSP, NTSB, and whatever else agency has provisions on seeing that data. And, was he sleeping behind the wheel? People say that he hit the rumble strips, and was drifting in and out of traffic, yet there's that tractor trailer driver. He said he never hit him. Is HE lying? Can't he take a polygraph and see? There's too many what if's and could it's.

Ok. Was just watching NY1 " the Call" show and this should interest Forest Glen. A Mega Bus Driver called in and stated they are 'overworked' and they he has himself almost fell asleep at the wheel on duty. That MegaBus Driver stated that the bosses has told him that if he and other driver spoke out they would be fired. Not my words but I watched this on NY1's "the Call Tonight."

The low cost Bus companies from MegaBus to the Chinatown NYC ones need so reforms so if I was in charge suggest.

1)There is no location in Chinatown or Lower Manhattan to create a PABT type location for these buses to park. I instead suggest somewhere in the outerboros such as Downtown Brooklyn or Queensboro Plaza/LIC areas to create a new bus station.

2)Some of these companies does need to stop and close for good.

3)Follow the model of Bolt Bus etc who do follow the rules and offer internet specials to offer lower cost bus costs.

Just my takes.

I'd like to add a point to this conversation. In New York State, and I assume most of the others, once you receive a drivers license, your driving record and probably anything else is considered a public record. The same holds true for any court proceedings ,except those sealed by law. How do you think the press gets all of this info? I'm sure the bus company knew of his driving record, or should have, by his driver's abstract. If they knew of his past criminal history from him or court records I don't know. I do find it hard to believe that a bus company would entrust it's expensive bus to a convicted felon, second chance or not. Something is wrong with this picture. A cleaner, yes, a mechanic, maybe, but a driver??? I think the bonding company and,maybe, the insurers would have some questions to ask the company.

The passengers are complaining about this and that but they don't want to pay more for it. They want a cheap cheap ride, but then when accidents happen, "Oh this is ridiculous!!" I mean you can't expect much when you're paying so little.

Agreed!!!!!

I mean no one forced them to ride em. But thats the risk they took by riding those cheap shyt companies.

I'd like to add a point to this conversation. In New York State, and I assume most of the others, once you receive a drivers license, your driving record and probably anything else is considered a public record. The same holds true for any court proceedings ,except those sealed by law. How do you think the press gets all of this info? I'm sure the bus company knew of his driving record, or should have, by his driver's abstract. If they knew of his past criminal history from him or court records I don't know. I do find it hard to believe that a bus company would entrust it's expensive bus to a convicted felon, second chance or not. Something is wrong with this picture. A cleaner, yes, a mechanic, maybe, but a driver??? I think the bonding company and,maybe, the insurers would have some questions to ask the company.

A company offering rates that low has to cut corners. I'm not saying it's right, but when you're offering fares as low as $1 from Minneapolis to Chicago in some cases, I would definitely be looking into this company thoroughly before using them. I've used Greyhound a few times to go back to my college here in the states and I was even skeptical of them.

1) They hire Felons

So an ex-con should NEVER have a job again? That's why there's rescidivism.

Agreed!!!!!

I mean no one forced them to ride em. But thats the risk they took by riding those cheap shyt companies.

Of course. Any company that competes with your company is a "shyt" company.

The passengers are complaining about this and that but they don't want to pay more for it. They want a cheap cheap ride, but then when accidents happen, "Oh this is ridiculous!!" I mean you can't expect much when you're paying so little.

Megabus is a cheap AND safe company. There was an incident in which the bus hit the low overpass, an incident in which the bus crashed during a winter storm, and maybe one or two other incidents. However, the other 99% of the time the buses operated safely and on time.

Megabus is a cheap AND safe company. There was an incident in which the bus hit the low overpass, an incident in which the bus crashed during a winter storm, and maybe one or two other incidents. However, the other 99% of the time the buses operated safely and on time.

I actually remember hearing about that incident on NY1 and now you just reminded me of who the company was again... B)

Archived