Can R142s and R142As mix?

CTK246

I've seen mixed R160s before but I haven't even seen a mixed R142 set, not even on the Internet which begs the question: Could these sets mix?

They did a test with a pair of R142s and R142As, the As would take off faster over the R142s or something like that, I dont remember the full details. All I remember is that it didnt work out all that well.

They did a test with a pair of R142s and R142As, the As would take off faster over the R142s or something like that, I dont remember the full details. All I remember is that it didnt work out all that well.

Correct, the different propulsion packages of the two car types will make them incompatible for regular service. Same thing applies to the R160B Alstom and Siemens.

I also think that when they came to a complete stop....A's or R-142 would bang against each other!

Correct, the different propulsion packages of the two car types will make them incompatible for regular service. Same thing applies to the R160B Alstom and Siemens.

Well, that's not entirely true. Every once in a while you'll see an Alstom/Siemens mix. They do run quite well together, stopping is fine, its the acceleration that slows down the Alstom sets.

Well, that's not entirely true. Every once in a while you'll see an Alstom/Siemens mix. They do run quite well together, stopping is fine, its the acceleration that slows down the Alstom sets.

If one set is faster then the other can't the other set operate like a push-pull car? Have the R142A pull the R142?

I've never came across such a mix (re. The Alstom/Siemens). Maybe if I get lucky I might catch it out the blue...

If one set is faster then the other can't the other set operate like a push-pull car? Have the R142A pull the R142?

That won't wirk either Cuz the setup will change when the train changes ends at a terminal where you have to reverse direction.

I've seen mixed R160s before but I haven't even seen a mixed R142 set, not even on the Internet which begs the question: Could these sets mix?

yes, Ive also wanted to ask this question. good one :tup:.

OK time to bust the myths on here...

YES R142s and R142A's can run together. There is nothing that makes them "INCOMPATIBLE" - all connections can be made to run a train with a set of each.

However in performance one of the cars (I forget which) accelerates slightly faster from dead stop meaning that when that set makes up the back 5 it slams into the front 5 and causes the entire train to buck violently for a few seconds. Because of this, despite the fact it's been done before as a test, the TA does not do it.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong but 260 of the R160's (8843-9102) are Siemens propulsion and all of these cars are at CI and run on the N & Q. I like that Siemens sound. I generally ride the E/M trains (live in Long Island City) but rode the N this past Sunday due to the E G.O. and the 7 emergency work. I love the sound of the Siemens propulsion. I would love to see some of these cars on the E some day. These cars can be paired with non-Siemens R160B's as well as R160A's?

I'm taking a wild guess that this set has been uncoupled...

Also why does the TA even mix sets in the first place?

Testing purposes. The agency wanted to truly see if their million dollar investments were compatible with each other.

And the two sets haven't been coupled together since 2001.

OK time to bust the myths on here...

YES R142s and R142A's can run together. There is nothing that makes them "INCOMPATIBLE" - all connections can be made to run a train with a set of each.

However in performance one of the cars (I forget which) accelerates slightly faster from dead stop meaning that when that set makes up the back 5 it slams into the front 5 and causes the entire train to buck violently for a few seconds. Because of this, despite the fact it's been done before as a test, the TA does not do it.

The Kawasaki set was the one that accelerated slightly faster, but that was only when those cars were in the lead. When the Bombardier set was leading, the train operated normally.

My opinion is no because the R142A's on the (4),(6),and <6> have a different sound compared to the R142's on the (2),(4),and (5). But that could be wrong if anyone knows quote me :). Also they have a different door light, different braking, and ETC.

Archived