Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

MTA bans alcohol on St. Patrick's Day trains

mark1447

"I guess you're just going to have to wait until you get downtown," one person said.

St. Patrick's Day party goers, consider yourselves warned. If you have plans to go to Manhattan for the St. Patrick's Day parade and your pre-parade plans include having a few beers on the train on the way down to the city, think again. Not this year, according to the MTA.

Both the Long Island Railroad and Metro North have banned alcohol on board trains and at stations for years, probably decades on St. Patrick's Day.

But those bans, until now, haven't been enforced according to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

But a scene like this train, officials say, is evidence for enforcing the no booze on-board policy.

"I'm not an alcohol drinker. But people tend to get a little out of hand and they take it overboard because of St. Patty's Day. So I'm not really a fan of the drinking on trains," one person said.

"I believe that if you allow alcohol any day of the week, you ought to not change it. People ought to be held responsible for their actions, if they misbehave because they're drinking that's one thing, but to stop it for one day doesn't seem right," said another person.

According to the MTA police, anyone who arrives with at the train station on St. Patrick's Day with alcohol will have three choices. The first being to return the alcohol to your car. The second choice being to dispose of it before you board the train. And choice number three they say is, if you don't like either of the first two choices, is to find another way to get to where you're going because they say you will not be getting on the train with alcohol.

Police say the crackdown is in effect all day until 4 a.m. Friday. It includes trains, platforms and stations. It's a policy that makes sense even to an out of towner.

"If it's going to keep people safe on the trains, then we're going to have to find other ways for people to get into that happy mood before they get onto the train," one person said.

Video and Source:

http://hudsonvalley.ynn.com/content/top_stories/536864/mta-bans-alcohol-on-st--patrick-s-day-trains/?ap=1&MP4&r=6050396288

I don't get this. Don't they still have bar cars on the New Haven line trains?

And doesn't the MTA sell drinks themself right on the platform in the city?

Thats what im wondering myself. Maybe the bars on the bar car will be closed for todays service. For platform same as well.

I don't get this. Don't they still have bar cars on the New Haven line trains?

And doesn't the MTA sell drinks themself right on the platform in the city?

The bars in the bar cars on the trains and the bar carts at GCT will be closed for the day.

Oh please. I had a hard time getting to my office this morning because the streets were on lockdown by 10:00. 42nd and 5th was closed, but luckily at 45th and Madison I was able to get in to my office. Meanwhile all along Madison there were drunken folks all over the place yelling and screaming, so in sum with all of the Irish pubs like Eammons which is a few doors down from me, they have plenty of places to get hammered at before they board the trains. Most of them are already drunk before the parade starts. B)

I saw one chick literally fall into a pot hole at 42nd and Madison. :o She looked half hammered. Fell right in the middle of the street and her cell phone went flying into pieces. Luckily for her traffic was stopped.

Shame she didn't crack her skull open.

42nd street is getting terrible over by 5th & Madison. The street is so warped and the craters/potholes are so big you have to look down to make sure you don't step into one and get crushed by a bus or something. They need to repave that area esp. and soon. :eek:

42nd street is getting terrible over by 5th & Madison. The street is so warped and the craters/potholes are so big you have to look down to make sure you don't step into one and get crushed by a bus or something. They need to repave that area esp. and soon. :eek:

Does it look like the moon? :o

they have plenty of places to get hammered at before they board the trains. Most of them are already drunk before the parade starts. :o

You're right, there are plenty of opportunities for these idiots to get soaked before getting on the trains. By Metro North closing their bar carts will not contribute to the madness. More importantly, it is limiting liability Metro North would have serving alcohol to someone already drunk. The bartenders go through TIPS training (intervention training for alcohol sales) and are not supposed to sell alcohol to someone already drunk. By keeping the carts closed will avoid any confrontations with those not taking no for an answer.

Archived