So Long, Long Island Bus...

Kriston Lewis

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Common sense, if I live in NYC, I pay taxes to subsidize transportation in NYC. Why should I or anyone for that matter pay for transportation in another county

many ppl who pay the MTA payroll tax who are in LI and suburban counties ask the same question!!!!!!! If their taxes subsidize us then ours should be so in return. The rescue package was nice but ONLY NYC BENEFITTED not the rest that w=is why there is resentment!!!! so to tax em to keep NYC from service cuts then take away service in their turf is just plain WRONG. The only ppl who should pay the payroll tax are those who actually benefit from it like us but the local way of thinking is why transit in LA goes nowhere!!!! we dont need a fragmented network with weak links hurting the rest of the regional system as a whole. Not everyone stays in one county it's called a life ppl will always cross the borders

None, I hope. Why is it so essential for NYC taxpayers to keep subsidizing Nassau County?

The only one I can agree with is the N20 short-turns being replaced by an extension of the Q12, since it is only a short distance, and that might actually result in an increase in revenue for the MTA.

The other routes either aren't being eliminated, or have too low ridership to justify any route replacing them.

If it came down to the MTA facing a potential total shut-down of the system, the N6 and N22 might also be routes that could generate additional revenue if they were replaced by extensions of Queens routes.

The only one I can agree with is the N20 short-turns being replaced by an extension of the Q12, since it is only a short distance, and that might actually result in an increase in revenue for the MTA.

The other routes either aren't being eliminated, or have too low ridership to justify any route replacing them.

If it came down to the MTA facing a potential total shut-down of the system, the N6 and N22 might also be routes that could generate additional revenue if they were replaced by extensions of Queens routes.

IF N6 AND 22 WERE EXTENSIONS OF QUEENS RTES THEY WOULD LOSE RIDERSHIP AS THE NASSAU PPL WHO DONT WANT THE EXTRA STOPS WILL GO BACK TO DRIVING OR LIRR!!!!! The N6 is TOO FULL TO COMBINE WITH ANY QUEENS ROUTE THEY ARE CLOSED DOOR FOR A REASON!!!! That would make the rtes very unreliable!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Q12 makes no sense the short runs on N20 are EMPTY they shouldnt even get replaced. All N20s need to either go to hicksville or rosyln then LIE to hicksville and become N73/74 or 80/81 those rtes are 30 mins long then the bus can be put on an N4 or N55 then N6 or something my plan was to rotate low cost per rider routes constantly to increase ridership grive down costs and run a more efficient system!!!!!!!!!!! also the Q46 should do a few. at great neck

The people who ride the N6 or N22 aren't concerned as much with speed, but with the cost, since it is cheaper to take the bus than it is to take the LIRR.

THESE ARENT LOW RIDERSHIP LINES they dont have room for queens local passengers who also FULL UP THEIR BUSES. Merging N6 with other LIB rtes makes sense merging with queens makes no sense and would make the bus so Unreliable you would wait 20 minutes or more only to see 3 buses bunched up!!!!! N6 is not compatible with any queens route unlike the N2 N1 and N8 which actually should merge with queens routes like former Q79 and form TRUE CROSSTOWNS. Then in that senario it would work. Plus most Q12 ppl are off by the time it reaches nassau. And again there is no demand as proven by the great neck N20 trips. those short trips dont work they only piss ppl off and those ppl use the real N20 those short trips are pure waste. MTA has lost touch with its region and its ppl. I learned it after hearing many LI ppl talk about the lack of regionalization. I am for a regional system but N22 and N6 are NOT compatible with any queens route. The elmont buses are so close to queens that they could pull it off but N6 and 22 are long they would be too unreliable as open door.

The property taxes out there are sky high so if they really want relief the first thing they'd look at is the transit. Overall some of them don't care as long as they can get to the LIRR. I've had some co-workers from Long Island and they all drive to the LIRR.

It should be the local maintenance unions that take a hit before transit, as well as the teacher unions (which would include contracting the public schools to private industry).

Also, why didn't the MTA just walk away from LI Bus over the unpaid bills much earlier, then sue Nassau County? If it was me, I would have walked away from LIB in the mid-2000s.

IF N6 AND 22 WERE EXTENSIONS OF QUEENS RTES THEY WOULD LOSE RIDERSHIP AS THE NASSAU PPL WHO DONT WANT THE EXTRA STOPS WILL GO BACK TO DRIVING OR LIRR!!!!! The N6 is TOO FULL TO COMBINE WITH ANY QUEENS ROUTE THEY ARE CLOSED DOOR FOR A REASON!!!! That would make the rtes very unreliable!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Q12 makes no sense the short runs on N20 are EMPTY they shouldnt even get replaced. All N20s need to either go to hicksville or rosyln then LIE to hicksville and become N73/74 or 80/81 those rtes are 30 mins long then the bus can be put on an N4 or N55 then N6 or something my plan was to rotate low cost per rider routes constantly to increase ridership grive down costs and run a more efficient system!!!!!!!!!!! also the Q46 should do a few. at great neck

You know, not to offend you, but you should really do something about the way you make up your sentences. More interpunction, less exclamation marks.

Nassau says they want to run the system for just 4.1 million? This private company says they can do it for 2.1 million. If MTA does it for 140 million, how the hell does Nassau think they can do it for 4.1 million with a private operator. Does 4.1 million, even cover the price of diesel fuel/CNG, for 1 year, for 300 buses. Maybe my math is terrible, but I just don't see that happening. That price sounds like something, from Never, Neverland..........

NY Minimum wage is $7.36hr. Doing basic minimum numbers, a driver makes $7.36hr (NY minimum wage) with no benefits. In one day of 10hrs work (they will work more than 8), that driver makes $73.60. All buses won't go out all day, so lets say 200 buses hit the road a day in one week. You need 200 drivers. If all work 10hr shifts, that all make $73.60 a day. 200 time $73.60 is $14,720 a day. Lets say buses roll 300 days a year. $14,720 times 300 is $4,416,000 a year. That just went $316,000 over the monies Nassau would give at maximum. Now you have to put diesel or CNG in 300 buses. You have to buy or lease tires. You need supplies to clean the buses. Wipers has to be replaced, glass has to be fixed or replaced. You need insurance (unless Nassau is insuring the buses). Buses need brakes. Mechanical and electrical components has to be maintained and replaced. They could invent the best tampon ever, and it wouldn't even begin to soak up the bleeding, that the LIB system would bleed, cause sh!t has to be cut deeply (to the bone), to make that little monies work. It ain't gonna work. Those are fantasy numbers from Nassau...........

Nassau says they want to run the system for just 4.1 million? This private company says they can do it for 2.1 million. If MTA does it for 140 million, how the hell does Nassau think they can do it for 4.1 million with a private operator. Does 4.1 million, even cover the price of diesel fuel/CNG, for 1 year, for 300 buses. Maybe my math is terrible, but I just don't see that happening. That price sounds like something, from Never, Neverland..........

NY Minimum wage is $7.36hr. Doing basic minimum numbers, a driver makes $7.36hr (NY minimum wage) with no benefits. In one day of 10hrs work (they will work more than 8), that driver makes $73.60. All buses won't go out all day, so lets say 200 buses hit the road a day in one week. You need 200 drivers. If all work 10hr shifts, that all make $73.60 a day. 200 time $73.60 is $14,720 a day. Lets say buses roll 300 days a year. $14,720 times 300 is $4,416,000 a year. That just went $316,000 over the monies Nassau would give at maximum. Now you have to put diesel or CNG in 300 buses. You have to buy or lease tires. You need supplies to clean the buses. Wipers has to be replaced, glass has to be fixed or replaced. You need insurance (unless Nassau is insuring the buses). Buses need brakes. Mechanical and electrical components has to be maintained and replaced. They could invent the best tampon ever, and it wouldn't even begin to soak up the bleeding, that the LIB system would bleed, cause sh!t has to be cut deeply (to the bone), to make that little monies work. It ain't gonna work. Those are fantasy numbers from Nassau...........

And then add in the need for at least two shifts for the busiest routes...and paratransit.

The 4.1 million/2.1 million is Nassau subsidy. It excludes fare revenue and state subsidy. The MTA's service cut proposal is designed based on a $9 milllion subsidy. If it were $4 million (which it now is), more service cuts will happen. Look for the N23, N27, N43, and N26 to be gone if the subsidy is reduced and privatization does not happen. Privatization would be even worse: once the company actually operates the buses and sees the real costs, they will pull out right away. They want to make a profit!

Less service=Lower ridership=Less revenue=More subsidy=More service cuts

many ppl who pay the MTA payroll tax who are in LI and suburban counties ask the same question!!!!!!! If their taxes subsidize us then ours should be so in return. The rescue package was nice but ONLY NYC BENEFITTED

Wasn't each suburban county's payroll tax supposed to help fund that county's railroad services (LIRR or MNRR)?

The 4.1 million/2.1 million is Nassau subsidy. It excludes fare revenue and state subsidy. The MTA's service cut proposal is designed based on a $9 milllion subsidy. If it were $4 million (which it now is), more service cuts will happen. Look for the N23, N27, N43, and N26 to be gone if the subsidy is reduced and privatization does not happen. Privatization would be even worse: once the company actually operates the buses and sees the real costs, they will pull out right away. They want to make a profit!

Less service=Lower ridership=Less revenue=More subsidy=More service cuts

Fare revenue: ~$30M (after service cuts)

State subsidy for now: $45M

Nassau subsidy: $4.1M

as from what i was told a supervisor told me that the current 1500's [the last 3 or 4 buses] will remain in service while the rest that just stored at MF the last 3 are 1503,1518 and 1519, they should have rehabed those 1500's since nassau wants out, by law those scrapped orion v's both 1400's and 1500's have to return due to those buses belonging to nassau county, those first 60 buses of 1700s are nassau's buses i read the documents the mta is retarded for giving a soon to be gone bus agency new buses, i would have gave them the 1999 orion v cngs from mta bus or retank those 1400's and 1500's and do some body work on them they would have been good to go, the rvc ones should have been the ones to stay, the MF ones were done. until they do what they gotta do, the 1700s and 1800s might stay due to MTA being retarded and getting rid of those 1400s and 1500s no private company is going to automaticly buy new buses its impossible.

WH didn't get screwed that badly. The Hempstead Branch is literally a 5 minute walk away from the WH station. Malverne has Lynbrook right under it...

But east of electrified territory, yeah, I'd say Greenport and Riverhead are SOL.

its not that short a walk, ive been in that area. West Hempstead is a pretty decent area i doubt theyre gunna wanna walk thru Hempstead for any reason, let alone riding the train. and Lynbrook isnt such a short distance to Malverne, the roads in that area dont make it easy to get around.

Did that supervisor "tell" you how to get the 1400s back? Why not get the very first batch of Orion V CNGs back from 1992 as well?

the only thing the supervisor told was about the 1500s that are currently in service.

Mta does alot of ilegal shit, but why buy something brand new and attempt to take it back,its silly, those 1800s are mta's buses, they have everything a standard ta bus has, the 1700s are nassau's. as far as the recent 1400s and 1500s that just left service should have been retanked and that was my input, the older 1990 orions were scrappend in long island, mta had no control of scrapping the buses, nassau did, they should have kept the desiels like idiots they got rid of the remaining ones

the only thing the supervisor told was about the 1500s that are currently in service.

Mta does alot of ilegal shit, but why buy something brand new and attempt to take it back,its silly, those 1800s are mta's buses, they have everything a standard ta bus has, the 1700s are nassau's. as far as the recent 1400s and 1500s that just left service should have been retanked and that was my input, the older 1990 orions were scrappend in long island, mta had no control of scrapping the buses, nassau did, they should have kept the desiels like idiots they got rid of the remaining ones

Those 1400's/1500's ran nice but they were coming to a point to when they were breaking down to much at times and we really needed some new buses if we didn't get the 1700's/1800's it would have been atleast 7 years with out any new buses since the 2004(396-462) series CNG's and I don't know if the 1400/1500's would have lasted plus they were falling apart as well.

An update. Mangano has announced the '3' finalists to take over LIB on eve of the hearings.

Long Island Bus Plans to be Rolled Out

By Timothy Bolger Long Island Press

March 22nd, 2011

Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano is moving forward with plans to privatize Long Island Bus in the wake of a judge’s ruling last week affirming a state takeover of the county’s troubled finances.

The bus system’s 100,000 daily riders have been in limbo while MTA officials explore cutting up to 27 of the agency’s 48 routes and Mangano entertains offers from three private bus companies who are interested in replacing the MTA as the operator of LI Bus.

“With the Nassau Interim Finance Authority’s (NIFA) recent action to impose a control period over county finances, the county has no choice but to end its relationship with the MTA,” Mangano said in a statement last week.

advertisement Mangano had lost a lawsuit that attempted to block the move by NIFA, which was prompted by a projected $176 million deficit in the county’s $2.6 billion budget. Mangano has been planning layoffs and budget cuts and has refused to raise property taxes to solve the problem.

Brian Nevin, a spokesman for Mangano, said the county is studying final proposals submitted Monday by the three bus firms being considered— Veolia, First Transit and MB Transit. A decision is expected within days, Nevin said.

An MTA spokesman declined to comment on Mangano’s statement last week, which also criticized the state transit agency and the controversial MTA payroll tax.

Negotiations have not been fruitful between the county and the MTA over how to fund the $136 million bus system.

Meanwhile, MTA officials are hosting a public hearing Wednesday on the bus system quagmire.

Democratic lawmakers and labor leaders have criticized the privatization plan as unrealistic.

“Residents will finally have accountability for their tax dollars,” Mangano said. “The private sector will run bus service more efficiently and effectively while not holding our taxpayers hostage for increased revenue year after year.”

Read more here. http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/03/22/long-island-bus-plans-to-be-rolled-out/

Brian Nevin, a spokesman for Mangano, said the county is studying final proposals submitted Monday by the three bus firms being considered— Veolia, First Transit and MB Transit. A decision is expected within days, Nevin said.

Veolia Environnement (yes, I spelled it right, it's French) is probably the best contender in terms of experience, but I have a feeling it will be denied based on cost.

MB Transit? Never heard of it. Sounds like something to do with Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

"Within days" probably means that it will be announced right after the public hearings, with any luck, before April 1.

Veolia Environnement (yes, I spelled it right, it's French) is probably the best contender in terms of experience, but I have a feeling it will be denied based on cost.

MB Transit? Never heard of it. Sounds like something to do with Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

"Within days" probably means that it will be announced right after the public hearings, with any luck, before April 1.

Veolia runs many of the public transit bus lines on the west coast such as LA's MTA and something I know well most of the San Diego's area MTS Bus routes as well.

Of the '3' mentioned, I would endorse Veolia to run LIB. From my experience riding their buses in Southern Calif. they are well mainted something the old NYC DOT 'private' was never done in it's final years.

Archived