I saw something so strange today..

trainmaster101

I boarded my bus like i always do on the B3 route to get to school. but this time across my single seater near the rear exit doors i see the foam seats that they "experimented with" across from me in a 3 seater. the resat of the bus was hard plasic seats...can someone please explain this?

I boarded my bus like i always do on the B3 route to get to school. but this time across my single seater near the rear exit doors i see the foam seats that they "experimented with" across from me in a 3 seater. the resat of the bus was hard plasic seats...can someone please explain this?

Some of the RTSs out of Ulmer Park were used for express bus service some years back and so when they replaced those with MCIs, then they started using them on the local bus lines out of Ulmer Park. I can remember riding on the (B4) and (B64) with those nice plush seats, but they should be removed because the local bus riders destroy them. I saw several of them with the seats just ripped up. Friggin' animals... :mad:

Were you livid?

No, but I was thinking that those buses were going to get torn up even though I enjoyed riding them on the local lines. I mean going from Sheepshead Bay to Bay Ridge, they sure as heck beat having those hard plastic seats. They also get dirtier faster too because there's more traffic as opposed to an express bus. We had some of the old old Orions out of Castleton with those seats and I found them disgusting to sit on because the seats were so worn out, sunken in and dirty looking. :eek: They would put them on the (S98) during rush hour. Occasionally they would actually put them on the X16 when they were short on MCIs or whatever. I would get so pissed that I would refuse to get on and would wait for another X16. I just couldn't imagine getting on the expressway with that bus, esp. when compared to a nice MCI. lol

I'm glad those suburban RTSs are long gone from UP, that express bus seating and rush hour crowds didn't mix too well! But man I miss seeing and even more, riding Orion V CNGs on the BMs, I'd take a CNG over a MCI in a heartbeat! If I would rode on the BMs when it was Command I'd probably take a CNG over a Classic as well.

I'm glad those suburban RTSs are long gone from UP, that express bus seating and rush hour crowds didn't mix too well! But man I miss seeing and even more, riding Orion V CNGs on the BMs, I'd take a CNG over a MCI in a heartbeat! If I would rode on the BMs when it was Command I'd probably take a CNG over a Classic as well.

I'd take A Classic anyday:tup:

I can tell you that the average express bus rider on the BM buses like myself HATED those buses with a passion! The so called "cushioned" seats were like bricks! And forget about me sitting in those cramped two seaters... My legs were too long so basically I was limited as to where I could sit, not to mention that taking a nap was next to impossible. ;)

When they were phasing them out on the BM lines, sometimes I'd purposely wait for the next BM3 so I could get a MCI. I esp. love the 2200s Spring Creek has. Those buses ride so smooth and they can take on any just about any pothole NYC has to offer. :cool:

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

wrong these soft suburban seats should be used on lib!!!!!!

2 Things...

1. The only non-MCI buses to have those seats left is the 7xx's at Spring Creek, and some 72xx's and 99xx's and maybe a few of the 85xx's at College Point. Do you really think that's enough to re-uhpolster all those seats? that's a total waste of money.

2. Why rip out seats and put them on another fleet which is half-retired anyway?

I'm just asking

Suburban seating DOES NOT work on our local buses, BELIEVE me when I say so. The seats may be nice and all, but on a line that normally gets crowded, it's a BITCH. When Queens Village was in the process of re-seating their 9200s in 2009 I used to DREAD getting these buses on the way home from classes, a lot of the folks from QCC take the Flushing-bound buses as opposed to the Jamaica Av/Cambria Heights-bound Q27s. It was either a seat or be crammed in the thin aisle in single file because you weren't moving from that spot unless some people got off. Talk about no space!

Oh, and usually when that happened I'd usually plan on riding the bus all the way to Main Street instead of getting off at my usual stop on Sanford. Oh, the joys of riding a suburban-seated RTS... Same deal with the Orions out of Stengel, same shit different toilet!

Suburban seating DOES NOT work on our local buses, BELIEVE me when I say so. The seats may be nice and all, but on a line that normally gets crowded, it's a BITCH. When Queens Village was in the process of re-seating their 9200s in 2009 I used to DREAD getting these buses on the way home from classes, a lot of the folks from QCC take the Flushing-bound buses as opposed to the Jamaica Av/Cambria Heights-bound Q27s. It was either a seat or be crammed in the thin aisle in single file because you weren't moving from that spot unless some people got off. Talk about no space!

Oh, and usually when that happened I'd usually plan on riding the bus all the way to Main Street instead of getting off at my usual stop on Sanford. Oh, the joys of riding a suburban-seated RTS... Same deal with the Orions out of Stengel, same shit different toilet!

I've been on those buses during rush hour (Orions) and yeah I made sure to get a seat, otherwise it's insane. Seeing that they are made w/suburban seating they're not meant to be used to have people get on and off like that. Even when we have SROs on the MCI express buses, people have to get off that are standing in the aisles to let those getting off get off and then get back on again, so unless those buses are really going to be retired as some have claimed, then they should be reupholstered. How many buses were supposed to be retired and are still being used?? :eek:

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

2 Things...

1. The only non-MCI buses to have those seats left is the 7xx's at Spring Creek, and some 72xx's and 99xx's and maybe a few of the 85xx's at College Point. Do you really think that's enough to re-uhpolster all those seats? that's a total waste of money.

2. Why rip out seats and put them on another fleet which is half-retired anyway?

I'm just asking

ya got a point I meant that they should apply the suburban seating to their suburban routes not the N6 or 4 lol

Some of the seats were ok, the fabric of them needed to be replaced though. I still say they should've been sent to the likes of LGA, JFK, FR, and/or SC for express bus service than to hastily buying so many MCIs. Lower use lines don't need a larger bus compared to what they already have: suburban seated O5s. And they could've been used on the local routes.

That way the older RTSs like the 8600s could've been kept on the road a bit longer, as there would've been a need for more local buses.

I can tell you that the average express bus rider on the BM buses like myself HATED those buses with a passion! The so called "cushioned" seats were like bricks! And forget about me sitting in those cramped two seaters... My legs were too long so basically I was limited as to where I could sit, not to mention that taking a nap was next to impossible. :P

When they were phasing them out on the BM lines, sometimes I'd purposely wait for the next BM3 so I could get a MCI. I esp. love the 2200s Spring Creek has. Those buses ride so smooth and they can take on any just about any pothole NYC has to offer. :cool:

The suburban seats on the O5 CNGs [ex-pbls] are terrible. If not for the armrest that 'locks you in', the 2nd person would have to sit in a way that obstructs the aisle. The seats are just too narrow [like the M7 seats]. The NYCT suburban seats were much wider and more comfortable to sit in. Obviously the downside is having 2x2 and wider seats with the NYCT 40' buses means a very narrow aisle to pass thru. The buses should not have been used on local buses unless it was middays or nights when there's less riders on it.

Some of the seats were ok, the fabric of them needed to be replaced though. I still say they should've been sent to the likes of LGA, JFK, FR, and/or SC for express bus service than to hastily buying so many MCIs. Lower use lines don't need a larger bus compared to what they already have: suburban seated O5s. And they could've been used on the local routes.

That way the older RTSs like the 8600s could've been kept on the road a bit longer, as there would've been a need for more local buses.

The suburban seats on the O5 CNGs [ex-pbls] are terrible. If not for the armrest that 'locks you in', the 2nd person would have to sit in a way that obstructs the aisle. The seats are just too narrow [like the M7 seats]. The NYCT suburban seats were much wider and more comfortable to sit in. Obviously the downside is having 2x2 and wider seats with the NYCT 40' buses means a very narrow aisle to pass thru. The buses were and should not have been used on local buses unless it was middays or nights when there's less riders on it.

Express buses eat up miles, so it would make more sense to use coach buses rather than the RTSs, plus IMO, the MCIs can blow by any of those RTSs on the road. Last night I was on bus 1994... Friggin B/O was flying through the Battery Tunnel. I was holy sh*t! :eek: I can't see an RTS doing that so easily. Those old Orions could go too but still I prefer being on an MCI than being on those little Orions on the expressway. They certainly don't impress me as express buses in any way shape or form. :P

Kudos to the (MTA) for the move. Actually it was the (MTA) that informed the BM express bus riders that we would be getting MCIs to replace the smaller cramped Orions to make our commutes more comfortable, so clearly folks aside from myself didn't care for them, especially when you're paying a premium fare and travelling long distances. Now we have the nice new MCIs on Saturdays. :cool:

It wasn't going to be a permanent thing, of course eventually they would be transitioned back to local service and reseated and MCIs would've been bought.

But the MTA could've kept the older buses running a bit longer than to outright retire some of them. The MTA was being too concerned about the public perception that they were going to 'drastically change' the old routes, so they bought new buses to replace the old ones.

I still feel it was a political motivation.

It wasn't going to be a permanent thing, of course eventually they would be transitioned back to local service and reseated and MCIs would've been bought.

But the MTA could've kept the older buses running a bit longer than to outright retire some of them. The MTA was being too concerned about the public perception that they were going to 'drastically change' the old routes, so they bought new buses to replace the old ones.

I still feel it was a political motivation.

Older buses=more breakdowns. Having those buses run on the weekends aqnd during certain parts of the weekday like they were when the BMs only run once an hour in some instances is asking for trouble. Believe me it is not fun to be waiting for two hours for a bus. The (MTA) made a smart investment in replacing those old buses. Spring Creek does an excellent job maintaing their buses too so these express buses will be well taken care of. Some of them are almost 7 years old and still look in pristine condition outside and inside.

You also have to remember that the (MTA) took over those private bus lines whose buses were really run down and were breaking down a ton, especially up in the Bronx and that's why they got all new MCIs first. The Bronx commuters made a big stink about getting new express buses citing reliability issues with the older fleet.

The only old buses I was in favor of keeping were the NYCT buses. The ones the former PBLs ran were mostly on their last legs and needed to go. The hybirds was very much needed for local service. However, I don't think the MTA should've bought so many MCIs as they did. [so I am in favor of MCIs on the express routes, but not so many.]

The RTSs with the suburban seats would've been a temporary measure and then they should've been transitioned gradually to local only service. The RTSs can be used for both local and express service. MCIs can only be used for express and thus useless if there's a need for a local service. PBLs ran express buses on both local and express buses, that's why having just MCIs only for express service limits what they can run at a time.

The only old buses I was in favor of keeping were the NYCT buses. The ones the former PBLs ran were mostly on their last legs and needed to go. The hybirds was very much needed for local service. However, I don't think the MTA should've bought so many MCIs as they did. [so I am in favor of MCIs on the express routes, but not so many.]

The RTSs with the suburban seats would've been a temporary measure and then they should've been transitioned gradually to local only service. The RTSs can be used for both local and express service. MCIs can only be used for express and thus useless if there's a need for a local service. PBLs ran express buses on both local and express buses, that's why having just MCIs only for express service limits what they can run at a time.

I still disagree. The RTSs should've been reupholstered and used solely on the local lines. The (MTA) didn't have an "abundance" of MCIs because if they did they wouldn't be buying new express buses now because the older fleet is breaking down more often. A lot of the older fleet has been retired (thank God). What they need is more buses for the local lines. Their express bus fleet outside of Castleton is in good shape overall. The 2800s are holding up nicely IMO and those are some of the more "older" MCIs after the 1800s and 1900s. I can't wait for them to replace all of the MCIs with the green signage so that we can see what the hell the sign says, especially on the X10 line. :mad:

Fine, agree to disagree then...

Of course it has happened the way it has and everything I said is moot. I just think that things should've been done differently compared to how they are now.

By now things would probably remain as is now, just the way it got to this point would've been a little bit different imo.

Fine, agree to disagree then...

Of course it has happened the way it has and everything I said is moot. I just think that things should've been done differently compared to how they are now.

By now things would probably remain as is now, just the way it got to this point would've been a little bit different imo.

New local buses with more room! The friggin' next generation buses look cool, but they're narrow as hell. There is nowhere to stand w/out banging into someone. :mad:

For that reason alone they need to create something like a newer version of the RTS but more modern of course. They had those 1300s which they had out briefly testing and then pulled them. Wasn't too wild about the design of those but the look roomier than the latest buses out.

Archived