Direction and Track Operations in the NEC

GojiMet86

I have a question on the tracks Amtrak (and some Metro - North/NJ Transtit) trains travel on. I know that most of the track is right hand main (Southbound, Northbound), but I've seen photos with trains running the opposite direction (Northbound, Southbound). Why do trains run like that?

Most key corridors like the NEC/NHL are signalled in both ways, trains can run in any direction on any track at any time. It's up to the dispatcher, the only restriction being platforms and informing customers for stopping trains.

Most key corridors like the NEC/NHL are signalled in both ways, trains can run in any direction on any track at any time. It's up to the dispatcher, the only restriction being platforms and informing customers for stopping trains.

Thanks. I just thought that the direction of the track was set.

However, isn't that a bit dangerous?

Thanks. I just thought that the direction of the track was set.

However, isn't that a bit dangerous?

There's no such thing as wrong railing on the railroads. As long as the signals and switches function properly, all is fine. On one New Haven express I've been on, it ran up the southbound middle track while express trains to the city ran down what would be the northbound middle.

Archived