Amtrak overnight to MIT

engineerboy6561

Two weeks from now (Thursday, April 7 to Sunday, April 10) I'm going up to Cambridge for the MIT Campus Preview Weekend. In order to get to Boston by 9AM I'm going to need to take the overnight NE Regional (train 66 to Boston South Station). Do any of you know how often it comes in early/late and if so how bad are the delays? Also, any opinions on the value of upgrading to business class vs. coach?

Been to MIT before (on a summer program), here's some hints:

Amtrak 66 is a special train. It (should) have a baggage car, but recently, it's been running without one due to equipment issues. If you can carry on your luggage, do so. It is an overnight train, if you can afford to upgrade, do so for comfort reasons. Because it should have a baggage car, it is noticeably slower than other Regionals (110mph max).

It has a 1-hour long layover in NYP, not sure when you can board.

It can be delayed because there needs to be an engine swap in New Haven (MNR catenary shutdowns).

Make sure you know the MIT campus. The subway station is a bit of a walk from the main building. There is a free shuttle for students, I'm not sure if you can use it.

As for Megabus, there's one departure that meets your schedule, that arrives Boston 6AM. I wouldn't like that long of a layover!

Been to MIT before (on a summer program), here's some hints:

Amtrak 66 is a special train. It (should) have a baggage car, but recently, it's been running without one due to equipment issues. If you can carry on your luggage, do so. It is an overnight train, if you can afford to upgrade, do so for comfort reasons. Because it should have a baggage car, it is noticeably slower than other Regionals (110mph max).

It has a 1-hour long layover in NYP, not sure when you can board.

It can be delayed because there needs to be an engine swap in New Haven (MNR catenary shutdowns).

Make sure you know the MIT campus. The subway station is a bit of a walk from the main building. There is a free shuttle for students, I'm not sure if you can use it.

As for Megabus, there's one departure that meets your schedule, that arrives Boston 6AM. I wouldn't like that long of a layover!

Instead of Megabus (Forest Glen will go nuts like Luis in the Charlie Brown cartoons goes w/o his blanket lol:confused:)also try Bolt Bus owned by Greyhound as well.

http://www.boltbus.com

Instead of Megabus (Forest Glen will go nuts like Luis in the Charlie Brown cartoons goes w/o his blanket lol:confused:)also try Bolt Bus owned by Greyhound as well.

http://www.boltbus.com

Bolt Bus is still better than Amtrak. In some cases, it might be more practical to take Bolt than Megabus. It's only about a $5 difference in price.

Thanks for all the advice, guys! I'm taking Amtrak #66 out to Boston (it's a 5.5-hour trip instead of the usual 3-4 but it's the only thing arriving in the 8-9AM timeframe) on Thursday, and landed the promotional $1 seat on the 5PM BoltBus for the way back.

Lucky you. As someone who has been on Bolt Bus I have yet to get the $1 fare. I did get a $10 one way fare back from DC-NY last summer though.:eek:

Archived