Mechanical Problems on the IRT (S)

mark1447

Posted: 03/21/2011 4:52PM

Due to a (S) train with mechanical problems at the 42nd Street-Times Square Station, please expect delays in service in both directions on the train at this time.

As an alternative, customers are advised to take (7)train making nearby station stops.

Please allow additional travel time.

Im confused, if one train on ether track 1-3-4 has the problem, how is it that the other tracks are affected?

Delays in that there are only 2 trains running instead of 3, which means longer waiting time. I think something was up earlier today because I got a train on track 4 around 3:00 or so and they never run all 3 at that time.

Longer headways because you only have 2 trains instead of 3, but I'd imagine also longer dwell times because you're going to have more people trying to cram into each of those trains. It's the type of thing that could easily snowball even if the dead train isn't directly blocking anything.

If we didn't have the Times Square shuttle could you imagine how much more the (7) train would be crowded..

Dennis, you make a very valid point in why the (S) is very much needed during rush hours. Couldn't have said it better myself!

A bit off topic but is there a program on the R142 and R142As for the 42nd street shuttle?

Im confused, if one train on either track 1-3-4 has the problem, how is it that the other tracks are affected?

If its track 1 or 3, it may be the switch just before GC is having problems. If thats the case, then there are going to be delays if there is only one train running.

If its track 1 or 3, it may be the switch just before GC is having problems. If thats the case, then there are going to be delays if there is only one train running.

Unlikely. I can't imagine the switch would suddenly develop problems during the evening rush, when it's only used to take cars off the shuttle. (Plus, the alert says the problem is at the Times Square station.)

It was probably just a train breakdown.

Archived